Do you believe in Evolution?

• Yes I do believe in Evolution

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • No, I don't believe in Evolution

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

bennihana123

That's right, I did it. Bring it on.

Is the Theory of Evolution "just a theory" and total nonsense?

Or is it practically a scientific fact that should be taught in all public schools?

Discuss. This should be interesting.

AlivePoet

Anyone who claims that evolution is "total nonsense", I think, is either ignorant/uninformed of what it actually is or else is insecure about believing it, due to religious reasons. As to those who hold that it is "just a theory," well, they're obviously skeptical. For some, the idea is perceived as ridiculous because it transcends the human ability to fully comprehend where we have come from. This is thanks to a lack of complete and infallible evidence in part, but also due to how little humans can actually trust something that is potentially falsifiable/inconclusive.

I vote that we should teach it as scientific development in public schools, but the "scientific" part is key, as it is fundamental to understanding the theory: it's based entirely on scientific research. Call it fact, call it theory, call it anything you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it's science no matter how you look at it, and the human eyes and brains in the scientific field perceive this development as fact.

We must carefully distinguish between the different meanings of the words theory of evolution in order to give a clear and correct answer to this question. We must distinguish (1) between the theory of evolution as a scientific hypothesis and as a philosophical speculation; (2) between the theory of evolution as based on theistic principles and as based on a materialistic and atheistic foundation; (3) between the theory of evolution and Darwinism; (4) between the theory of evolution as applied to the vegetable and animal kingdoms and as applied to man.

AlivePoet

There's an interesting Facebook group called "The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science" that contains discussion of all of the above; I would highly recommend it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19507557464

Just beware that there is among most members a general bias in favour of Dawkins' arguments; but then, that's why the title contains his name.

Truth Cannot Contradict Truth

Address of Pope John Paul II to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (October 22, 1996)

In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII had already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the doctrine of the faith about man...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps the poll should be
1. Macroevolution
2. Microevolution
3. Both
4. Neither

Happy Birthday Theory of Evolution

Would anybody be able to get a copy of this?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oM0oBuhTLRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oM0oBuhTLRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
define evolution

Pale it goes liek this :

Basic, single cell - Wine Coolers

Complex underwater life - White Zin

Slimy repltiles - KJ CHardonnay

Early Man - French Wines

Hunter Gathers - Wine form Italy

Present day man - Napa Cab!

Nurhachi1991

and here we go... Speak out against sciene and your an idiot

People can bash Religion all they want but say something against science and suddeny your a nutter :rolleyes:

metalinvader

Nurhachi1991 said:

People can bash Religion all they want but say something against science and suddeny your a nutter :rolleyes:

Where did he call you an idiot?:confused:

Looks to me he just asked why you thought the big bang theory was 'retarded'.

Sharkey

Nurhachi1991 said:

Who called you and idiot? Who said you're a nutter?

You said the big bang was retarded -I asked you what understanding do you have of the big bang to call it retarded?

IAdventurer01

I suppose they are related, but isn't this on general evolution, not the big bang theory?

As for the Big Bang, I believe it is the most accurate and reasoned scientific approximation of the start of the known universe available to man today. It's probably wrong, but it's as close as we're going to get right now. For as much scientific grounds as there are for supporting the big bang, there is even more supporting evolution. Evolution, at least to a certain extent, is pretty darn close to scientific fact.

For the God argument, as I stated before, the Big Bang is the most accurate and reasoned scientific approximation of the known universe. Even if it's wrong and we discover a new, better explanation for the universe's origin, there will still be the initial, unexplainable - but what caused it, or where did it come from. My answer to that is God.

Assuming an omnipotent God, when He first set the universe in motion, it began to play out like an elaborate rube-goldberg device. One thing leading to another, one species evolving to another. He might need to make a minor adjustment here or there, but nothing too out of the ordinary of the series of events that make up our known universe.

Nurhachi1991

Because They told us that one day the planets just appaered out of know where with out explanation and that is lame

The_Raiders

I am a Christian, and I beleive God made earth and man. And I generally do not believe most of evolution, but, the real definition of evolution is, a change in a species over time.
I think a species can adapt to its enviroment, but I don't think it will change into something completely different in afew million years. Evolutionist were trying to say that waay back when wolves evolved into whales due to similarity in their bone structure. And I mean really commen sense tells us that everything has a skellital system and its constructed in the same basic way, and just because one is ordered in a very close arrangement to anoth doesnt mean it WAS that at some point.
Hey my 2 cents worth.

IAdventurer01

Nurhachi1991 said:
Because They told us that one day the planets just appaered out of know where with out explanation and that is lame

Well, not exactly. The planets appeared out of nowhere in a similar way as the same way as the giant dust-bunnies under my desk do. They formed over time by accumulating matter. As I stated earlier though, where the initial energy came from at the very beginning of the big bang is relatively unclear to my knowledge. Thus, my God argument.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to give you - illumination - into the Big Bang theory.

On a completely unrelated note, I finally am off of the 700's in my post count after about 2 years ... whoopie! :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
I suppose they are related, but isn't this on general evolution, not the big bang theory?

I think you say some intelligent things in this thread...but the one that I'm most certain that I agree with is this one.

We're not here for a discussion of the origins of the world as we know it, but rather of life as we know it. The big bang has got nothing to do with this thread, so let's leave it outside.