The Haters thread

Darth Vile

replican't said:
Unfortunately, your wanting to be Luke disqualifies you from any logical analysis of anything. Luke?? Nobody wants to be Luke. He's wetter and limper than lettuce in a shower.

It was all about wanting to be Han Solo mate.

Not if you were 5 years old. Han Solo was much more a father figure to a 5 year old. Luke was a 'kid'.

Darth Vile said:
Not if you were 5 years old. Han Solo was much more a father figure to a 5 year old. Luke was a 'kid'.

I was 5 when SW came to the UK in '77.

Evidently I was a much cooler 5 year old than you, then....

Darth Vile

replican't said:
I was 5 when SW came to the UK in '77.

Evidently I was a much cooler 5 year old than you, then....

We're obviously in our 30's discussing Indiana Jones on an Indiana Jones fan site. I don't think either of us can claim to be 'cool'. ;)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yea! See you over here: Temple of Doom
Darth Vile has recently written too many erroneous & invalid things here about "Doom". His comments will be taken over & replied to in that other thread...:gun:
Raiders112390 said:
A question: Did any of you have anything against KOTCS being set in the '50s?
The 1950s setting was a natural progression and predictable ever since "Mystery of the Blues" aired on TV. (Any Indy fan who couldn't foresee it was either blind or beating their "Last Crusade" meat.:p)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
The 1950s setting was a natural progression and predictable ever since "Mystery of the Blues" aired on TV. (Any Indy fan who couldn't foresee it was either blind or beating their "Last Crusade" meat.:p)

Natural, predictable, but unfortunate in the long run. Guys like Indy shouldn't grow old, but fade away into mystery. Or just ride off into the sunset after their last crusade.

Removing old Indy from the bookends was a good move in relieving the character of some humiliation. But Lucas still couldn't help beating the character to death, milking him for his last drop, just for his own amusement.

Lucas said:
"We came back to do (Indy) because we wanted to have fun...it turned out fantastic. … I like to watch it."

Watch out for another Lucas home movie at your local cinema sometime during then next decade. :p

mikieson

eh, we can debate all day but in the end..I liked it..and thats all that matters to me. Both my boys like it, my wife liked it,my nephew liked it..so thats 5/5 people that liked it. Pretty good odds..:)

Some fans and critics just dig too deep and TRY to find reasons to not like something. Almost like the only reason you watch a movie is to TRY and find something wrong instead of just going in to have a good time and no judge..

Dr. Gonzo

mikieson said:
eh, we can debate all day but in the end..I liked it..and thats all that matters to me. Both my boys like it, my wife liked it,my nephew liked it..so thats 5/5 people that liked it. Pretty good odds..:)
That's a pretty small pool there. And it's all your gene pool no less... you know what they say about small gene pools! :eek:

mikieson said:
Some fans and critics just dig too deep and TRY to find reasons to not like something. Almost like the only reason you watch a movie is to TRY and find something wrong instead of just going in to have a good time and no judge..
Do or do not, there is no try... critics and especially fans don't try, they do, they do find reasons not to like it.
I'm glad you liked it.
But a lot of us didn't.

I'll leave the "Don't Try" to Charles Bukowski now.

Montana Smith

Montana Smith said:
But Lucas still couldn't help beating the character to death, milking him for his last drop, just for his own amusement.

New York Times said:
Mr. Lucas said he had no urgent or compelling reasons for returning to his most popular characters and mythologies, except that he can and enjoys doing so. As an illustration he pointed to his work with Mr. Spielberg on ?Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.?

?I mean, why do we have to make another ?Indiana Jones??? Mr. Lucas said. ?There was no point to it, other than, gee, this might be fun.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/movies/29itzk.html?pagewanted=2&ref=movies#

If only it had been fun.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:

I think that "gee this might be fun" motivation for making the movie is actually quite evident on screen. KOTCS looks like it was fun to make, I think it's a movie that has a lot of heart, it's a technically well made movie... but it's lack of ambition is a consequence of the moviemakers desire for nostalgia over a desire to push the genre.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I think that "gee this might be fun" motivation for making the movie is actually quite evident on screen. KOTCS looks like it was fun to make, I think it's a movie that has a lot of heart, it's a technically well made movie... but it's lack of ambition is a consequence of the moviemakers desire for nostalgia over a desire to push the genre.

It would have helped if Lucas and Spielberg had looked up from their merrymaking once in a while, to see those standing around with their faces in their palms!

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
It would have helped if Lucas and Spielberg had looked up from their merrymaking once in a while, to see those standing around with their faces in their palms!

I'm not sure it would have been evident 'on set'. It probably looked and felt like the other movies to those involved (outside of the 'inner circle').

Montana Smith

mikieson said:
Good fun movie..I wonder what the census would be if this where the 1st Indy movie made? I think much different.

It would be National Treasure.

Only National Treasure has a higher rating on IMDB than KOTCS!

Darth Vile

mikieson said:
Good fun movie..I wonder what the census would be if this where the 1st Indy movie made? I think much different.

If the other movies didn't exist, I think it would certainly be viewed more positively... However, I also don't think it would have set the world on fire and wouldn't have produced Indy fandom's such as this (nor generated sequels). I think it's more pertinent to hypothesize what the reaction would have been if KOTCS would have been made as a direct sequel to TLC, circa 20 year ago with a younger Ford.

My view is that if it had been made some 20 years ago, with more of the 'analogue' effects and a considerably younger Ford; it would sit more comfortably with the others and some of the issues the movie has would have been more readily forgiven.

mikieson

Montana Smith said:
It would be National Treasure.

Only National Treasure has a higher rating on IMDB than KOTCS!
im going to pretend you didnt compare HF to NC :eek: ..Even without INDY HF kills NC..AND ive never seen the national treasure movies. WHY? cause im not crazy about NC and im not crazy about movies that try and copy something they cant get close to.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
If the other movies didn't exist, I think it would certainly be viewed more positively... However, I also don't think it would have set the world on fire and wouldn't have produced Indy fandom's such as this (nor generated sequels). I think it's more pertinent to hypothesize what the reaction would have been if KOTCS would have been made as a direct sequel to TLC, circa 20 year ago with a younger Ford.

My view is that if it had been made some 20 years ago, with more of the 'analogue' effects and a considerably younger Ford; it would sit more comfortably with the others and some of the issues the movie has would have been more readily forgiven.

Twenty years ago KOTCS would have had a relevant place in Indy movie lore. Harrison would have been young enough not to need a mini-Indy to challenge him.

Lucas would also have been closer to the originals in spirit, but KOTCS would nevertheless have continued to address the issues he created with the character.

I don't think analogue over digital would have any effect. CGI replaces matte paintings. Harrison would still have had stunt doubles with hidden faces. While CGI makes more things possible, the fridge and the waterfalls might not have looked so nice 20 years ago. (The first draft of BTTF was in existence at the time of ROTLA).

mikieson said:
im going to pretend you didnt compare HF to NC :eek: ..Even without INDY HF kills NC..AND ive never seen the national treasure movies. WHY? cause im not crazy about NC and im not crazy about movies that try and copy something they cant get close to.

You haven't seen them, yet you know they fail to copy the original more closely than KOTCS?

The voting on IMDB would suggest that even a Nick Cage copy beat a genuine Harrison Ford version.

NT 6.8/10 - 116,766 votes

KOTCS 6.4/10 - 173,106 votes

Not scientific, but it's a poll of sorts.

mikieson

Montana Smith said:
Twenty years ago KOTCS would have had a relevant place in Indy movie lore. Harrison would have been young enough not to need a mini-Indy to challenge him.

Lucas would also have been closer to the originals in spirit, but KOTCS would nevertheless have continued to address the issues he created with the character.

I don't think analogue over digital would have any effect. CGI replaces matte paintings. Harrison would still have had stunt doubles with hidden faces. While CGI makes more things possible, the fridge and the waterfalls might not have looked so nice 20 years ago. (The first draft of BTTF was in existence at the time of ROTLA).

You haven't seen them, yet you know they fail to copy the original more closely than KOTCS?

The voting on IMDB would suggest that even a Nick Cage copy beat a genuine Harrison Ford version.

NT 6.8/10 - 116,766 votes

KOTCS 6.4/10 - 173,106 votes

Not scientific, but it's a poll of sorts.
First of all..I NEVER EVER listen to others score on anything..movies,videogames,music,nothing..Because I find that 9/10 I like what score worse OR what isnt as popular. WHich proves correct when comparing how I feel about KOTCS to what others think.(y)

AND sure NT seems to beat KOTCS there..BUT is a 6.8 anything to brag about? I mean it it scored like 8 then ok..lol..I still fail to see ANYTHING wrong with KOTCS that would make even the hardest of hardcore fans not like it..AND im sitting here in my Akubra Fed IV "kotcs bash" typing this..:D

Sure HF isnt quite as witty and fast as he once was. YES the Mutt jungle swing was crazy..BUT so what?..other than that it was spot on. Trying to reintroduce characters you havent seen in 20 years isnt easy. BUT I feel they did pretty good with it.

Lots of people hate Mutt or hate Shia in general. I think the acting was good,the character was great for the movie. and I feel they all connected quite well for being YEARS later..Could some things be better? Maybe, but that goes for every movie ive ever seen..