What happened to Short Round?

daventry

Do they reveal what happend to Sallah in the Indy History so to speak, since i read somewhere that Willy and Shorty doesent really exist in the Indy Timeline.

daventry said:
Do they reveal what happend to Sallah in the Indy History so to speak, since i read somewhere that Willy and Shorty doesent really exist in the Indy Timeline.

No s#!t. Sallah should have been in this film.

Shortie

I hope Indy 5 has Indy, Mutt, Marion & Shortie. :D

Hopefully they go with the Shortie's an archaeologist thing.

Montana Smith

While looking for an appropriate thread to post in, I noticed there was an almost identical one to this.

Long story short I've just been re-watching the marvellous 55 Days at Peking and was struck by a similarity, if not a partial inspiration for Short Round.

In this film Lynne Sue Moon's character, Teresa, is the eleven-year-old orphan of a US Marine captain father and a Chinese mother. Captain Marshall had promised to take his daughter "home" to Illinois, though he was actually having second thoughts: "They'd treat her like a freak back home." Charlton Heston's character, Major Matt Lewis, agrees: she's "better off with her own kind".

After Marshall dies Teresa's dream is still to go to America. Major Lewis is at first reluctant, but by the end of the film his attitude is transformed and he lifts Teresa onto the back of his horse, implying that he will take her with him to America.

In Temple of Doom the reluctance of the leading man to get involved, and his subsequent transformation, occurs at the Indian village. And we know from the expanded universe that Short Round was taken to America.

While Googling some facts another possible inspiration popped up: the 1951 film, The Steel Helmet, which I see Crack that whip noted here some years ago.

In the Korean War, the prisoner of war Sergeant Zack and only survivor of his company is released by an orphaned South-Korean boy called Short Round. The actor playing this Short Round was William Chun, who was 11 years old at the time of The Steel Helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kai Hagen

Avilos said:
Maybe Willie adopted him. I know it seems unlikely. But I bet after everything she went through Willie went back to the home to States have a more quite life. Being a entertainer she had money and a more stable life than Indy had to be a full time parent.
I hope Willie did. Look at the history of Asia. Short Round would've suffered if he stayed in China.

Stoo

Kai Hagen said:
I hope Willie did. Look at the history of Asia. Short Round would've suffered if he stayed in China.
"Stayed in China"? :confused: Maybe you mean, "returned to China"? :whip:

We saw Shorty escape China. He didn't stay and was on his way to the U.S.A.

Col. Dietrich

Merek Jones said:
I just finished watching "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". I was wondering, what happens too Short Round? Did he have any other adventures with Indiana? Did he adopt him? I didn't see this around the forum so I am asking.
During the events of KotCS short round begins to search for the lost treasure of the peacock's eye which was a treasure sought after by Young Indy and Remy soon after World War I happens.

Paul Pauley

I still think Short Round should have been a girl. Would have been a nice counterpoint to Willie the screaming idiot...