Pillaging the Extended Universe for Indy V

Attila the Professor

Staff member
A post that suggests a worthy topic:

oliverjones18 said:
I think a movie made out of the expanded universe novels would be awesome!! any suggestions which one?

I hate the notion of having a story originally written to take place in the 20s or 30s being transposed to an Indy in an entirely different moment of life in the 1950s, but I haven't always been that squeamish; my own equivalent to Pale Horse's Garden of Life idea was a Philosopher's Stone idea that deviated from McCoy's rendering of that story (and was also never nearly as developed as Pale's idea, for that matter).

So, what's cinematic in the EU? And, more than that, what adaptations might be required? Nobody's going to film Fate of Atlantis just as it is.

foreignerfred

The novels' best writer Max McCoy had some pretty sci-fi-ish things in his novels that might fit in to the new standard set by KOTCS. For instance, Dinosaur eggs and a lost civilization of tribal dinosaur-worshiping natives...

I mean, when you start thinking of sci-fi stuff, it does seem to open up the possibilities a bit farther. I believe this is probably a reason Lucas pushed for the sci-fi angle. He needed something to freshen up the pot, and open the door for fresh ideas.

Anyone else?

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
So, what's cinematic in the EU? And, more than that, what adaptations might be required? Nobody's going to film Fate of Atlantis just as it is.
There is a wealth of engaging villains in the Marvel comics. Ben Ali-Ayoob, for instance.
It would also be interesting to see him shave off a beard to suggest that in his older years,
he sometimes lets it grow (as in "Mystery of the Blues").

foreignerfred said:
For instance, Dinosaur eggs and a lost civilization of tribal dinosaur-worshiping natives...
I would love to to see cryptozoology in Indy V. It would fit the '50 sci-fi theme very well.
Other than "Dinosaur Eggs", "Shrine of the Sea Devil" and that silly StarWars/Bigfoot story,
this is an untapped avenue.

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
I would love to to see cryptozoology in Indy V. It would fit the '50 sci-fi theme very well.
Other than "Dinosaur Eggs", "Shrine of the Sea Devil" and that silly StarWars/Bigfoot story,

What, no love for "Dragon by the Tail" or Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy?

UIMJ

I'm not a huge anime fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing an Indy anime a bit more serious in quality than the cartoony Clone Wars series....
-shrugs-
:)

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
What, no love for "Dragon by the Tail" or Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy?
Ah, yes. You are correct, sir. "Must have slipped his (my) mind...";)

foreignerfred

Stoo said:

You know, the more I think about it, the more it could be a real path for the sequel. I mean, think about it--- With Lucas and Spielberg getting quite excited about referencing their past work, Jurassic Park falls in there and would allow Spielberg a chance to revisit prehistoric beasts without putting out the oft-rumored JP4.

Hmmm...I wonder what would happen on these boards if it came out that IJ4 would be dinosaur related...Can you imagine?!

The Man

Has the legend of Medusa from Greek mythology ever featured in the realms of Indy? She could kick Spalko's ass back to Moscow...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
Has the legend of Medusa from Greek mythology ever featured in the realms of Indy? She could kick Spalko's ass back to Moscow...

By way of the planet Vulcan, where Darth Vader melted her brain?