Shia says Indy 5 is 'cracked'

IndyForever

Don't know why all the Indy4 hate.......

KOTCS was crafted the exact same way as the other 3. Spielberg wanted even more outlandish things than Lucas for 4 so do not assume its all Lucas the parts you hated. The Mutt Tarzan was all Spielberg as was Mutt being Indy+Marion's son & the Prairy Dogs. Lucas wanted 1950's and some sci-fi most of the rest was Spielberg. Read the coffee table book on Indy which came out last summer it gives you a good idea that Spielberg pretty much had a laundry list for 4 and agreed to Aliens as 1950's had to include those otherwise it would have been strange.

Anyway, Indy5 if its as good as KOTCS I will be very happy as nothing bothered me much in 4 at all (only Oxley being mute for ages!). You can bet it will be a more spiritual journey for Indy this time now they got a lot of action out of the way in 4. Probably be more like Last Crusade than Temple Of Doom and will no doubt be the last ever Ford Indy movie as even if they start filming early next year it will not be ready until Summer 2011 at the very earliest which means Ford will be almost 70 then and even the most die hard Indy fan will know sadly its time to hang up the Fedora & Whip forever so lots of tears in the theatre when 5 finishes with another sunset.

IndyForever

Grizzlor said:
Video won't load.
You need to use a public proxy if outside the UK as they check IP addresses & geographical locations nowadays. MTV do the same so no-one outside US can see their online media either!!

Jones Disciple

Indy's Fist said:
Funny how this announcement shortly after the cancelation after "The Staff of Moses" book huh? I bet Indy's looking for another biblical artifact like the Holy Grail & the Ark. Perhaps a staff?;)

Indy's Fist, I think your right. I posted this in another thread about the cancellation of the ?Staff of Kings? novel and given today?s news thought I would repost it here.

I have a conspiracy. What if Lucasfilm has a good reason for canceling the novel? Could they also have a good reason for fast tracking the game? Why was the Staff of Moses cameo that was shot for KOTCS omitted after they went through all of the trouble to make it based on the one Charlton Heston had in ?The Ten Commandments?? Could it be that the artifact is on a short list for possible objects for Indy and Mutt to go after in Indiana Jones 5? If that is the case I am cool with the novel being cancelled.

It seems unlikely since they did make it the artifact for the game but after years of development that started before the 4th film was announced maybe this scaled down release was a way to break even and not overexpose the artifact to the general public. It is also believed that the game was at one point going to be further developed for a 2010 release but that this was changed so they could get it out sooner. Why? Wouldn?t it make more sense to wait and develop versions for all 3 of the significant platforms and increase profits?

There are many ways one could explain these events but I though I would share an alternate, albeit far fetched, possibility.

I would also add that Spielberg is a huge Cecil B. DeMille fan ( The first movie he saw was DeMille?s The Greatest Show on Earth) and using the Staff modeled after the one in DeMille?s ?The Ten Commandments? as was planned for the KOTCS cameo, would sure be a nice nod.

Morning Bell

As exciting as the idea of Indy V is, I'm not ready to start celebrating just yet. If what Shia said is indeed true then wheels are in motion and that's a good thing. Let's just hope the script doesn't take another decade to write again.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*shrugs* So? They said similar stuff to this for years before KOTCS. It's really throw away as far as I'm concerned.

I don't even know if I want them to make another, because of the latest disappointments lately.

I have to agree with Rocket though- they should go Muslim MacGuffin.

And I would like an homage to the monster B movies instead (better than aliens).

Even so, they'll have to push hard to get my faith back up.

No Ticket

You know.......

as much as I'd love to see them make another Indiana Jones movie. I don't really think they have what it takes to make one up to par with the older movies or our expectations (regardless of what they may be).

I personally think Ford did well in the last one, but he can't run the show all by himself. I also shutter at the thought of Shia getting an even bigger part and Indy passing on his whip, fedora or whatever. I hope they're smart enough NOT to do that.

Sure, EP3 did fix a lot of things the other prequels got wrong. But it's still. Not that great.

Of course I'll be excited for this anyway and I'll go see it anyway and I'll give them my money any DAMN freaking way. lol. But that doesn't really mean I agree or that I'll be happy. Just that I'm unfortunately addicted to whatever George Lucas throws at me. :(

Anyway. Just because Spielberg says it's cracked doesn't mean it's happening. It just increases the "likelyhood."

Mickiana

I think that's a positive for it happening. Why wouldn't they do another? The last one has helped me now to not expect another 'Raiders quality' movie (my eternal hope), but I'm glad they are going to try again. Maybe with not much expectation I won't build myself up...

Indie House

Muslim could be interesting.

I'd personally like to see something based on ancient mythology... Greek or Roman. Olympus has always held a nice resonance...

:hat:

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
If anything they should go back to mystical/religious objects.

If they had ANY balls whatsoever it would be Muslim.

Plus Sallah would be back, and maybe more substantial/serious!

No offense to Muslims but I hope it's not a Muslim artifact.. I'm still hoping for another Christian artifact

Mickiana

I just hope the macguffin turns out to be a man-made one and mystical too of course. It doesn't have to be religious either.

Johnny Nys

I just heard the news and haven't stopped smiling since. To be honest, I didn't think it was going to happen. I thought Lucas trying to come up with a story would die a silent death over the years. And now this. If Shia really has the scoop, then he must have been offered the role again. That means no prequel to CS but a 1960 time frame. Muslim artifact would be the obvious choice, but we thought the same for CS and that turned out something completely different.

Robyn

Johnny Nys said:
I just heard the news and haven't stopped smiling since. To be honest, I didn't think it was going to happen. I thought Lucas trying to come up with a story would die a silent death over the years. And now this. If Shia really has the scoop, then he must have been offered the role again. That means no prequel to CS but a 1960 time frame. Muslim artifact would be the obvious choice, but we thought the same for CS and that turned out something completely different.

Why would Muslim be the obvious choice?

ronicle said:
No offense to Muslims but I hope it's not a Muslim artifact.. I'm still hoping for another Christian artifact

So far it's been a credit to Indy that the sole Muslim character, (an assumption, but a fair one) is his good friend. But it really would be silly for an archeologist who studied under a "Tanis freak" to have not a single adventure, with the amount of time spent in the Holy Land, during his life time, not to adress the last of the three major world religions.

Hell, maybe he could meet Malcom X before his Haj while he's the white devil, and then catch him during his Haj after he's "seen the light".

Johnny Nys

Movie one: Judaism
Movie two: Hinduism
Movie three: Christianity

So if you had to make a choice of the next world's religion, the "obvious" answer would be Islam.

Others would be Buddhism, Chinese traditional or African traditional.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
So far it's been a credit to Indy that the sole Muslim character, (an assumption, but a fair one) is his good friend. But it really would be silly for an archeologist who studied under a "Tanis freak" to have not a single adventure, with the amount of time spent in the Holy Land, during his life time, not to adress the last of the three major world religions.

Hell, maybe he could meet Malcom X before his Haj while he's the white devil, and then catch him during his Haj after he's "seen the light".

I see what you mean, I'm just bias for the Christian artifacts:cool:

sgttom

Hey maybe theirs a pattern here.
Raiders: Good
Temple of Doom: bad
Last Crusade: good
Crystal Skull: bad
Indy 5: Good!!!
Just kidding. I am not going to keep my hopes up but I don't think they should end Indy with the Crystal Skull, I am all for a new one. I'd also rather it be a Christian Artifact. Just as long as it isn't Aliens again I'll be happy.

deckard24

I was really hoping for a Labeouf-less fifth film, but if he's the one giving the inside scoop, odds are he's in it.(n)

I was optimistic that they could repair the damage done by Skull, but I don't know why after going through the disappointment of each release of the Star Wars prequels. If there is any possibility of Indy passing the torch to Mutt in a fifth film, I sincerely hope it never gets made!

indyjones2131

"Spielberg just said he cracked the story on that and I think they're gearing that up."

$786,636,033 worldwide.

#23 all time worldwide box office.

Just a matter of time. Since it seems Shia WILL be in this, I at least hope Indy has more to do in this one.

I would LOVE to see Indy have to race against his own son to get an artifact. Then of course team up in the end...

Robyn

deckard24 said:
I was really hoping for a Labeouf-less fifth film, but if he's the one giving the inside scoop, odds are he's in it.(n)

I was optimistic that they could repair the damage done by Skull, but I don't know why after going through the disappointment of each release of the Star Wars prequels. If there is any possibility of Indy passing the torch to Mutt in a fifth film, I sincerely hope it never gets made!

Maybe Indy will lock Mutt away in college and Mutt will just make a cameo at the beginning and the end? ;)

sgttom said:
Hey maybe theirs a pattern here.
Raiders: Good
Temple of Doom: bad
Last Crusade: good
Crystal Skull: bad
Indy 5: Good!!!
Just kidding. I am not going to keep my hopes up but I don't think they should end Indy with the Crystal Skull, I am all for a new one. I'd also rather it be a Christian Artifact. Just as long as it isn't Aliens again I'll be happy.

Yay for no more aliens!

Pale Horse

Staff member
gear guardian said:
Lucas and Spielberg fumbled the ball with the last one, and leaving the door open for a sequel, in my opinion, was an even bigger mistake.

I agree. But in the sports world, a fumbled ball by the favored team putting them behind in the game with 2 min left makes for great drama.

Return to Eden for Indy V, mixed with the noir of an ailing failed father trying to stifle his son in a quest for immortality, all while trying to redeem legacy....could be the overtime game we all wanted in Indy IV.

or, they'll just blow it all on hats.