The troop car lives!

Kooshmeister

col.dietrich said:
actually, gobler and the others in the troop car, might have lived because i think they fell into water and they could have swam if they didnt drown.

Doubtful. Falling the distance they did, they were probably killed, especially Gobler, who if you look closely, remains sitting in it the entire way down (the other guys fall out).

Anyway, breaking news! I think I may have finally found out that they were in fact attempting to replicate an actual 1936 Mercedes vehicle with this thing:

The basic shape of it plus the Mercedes hood ornament are too much of a coincidence to overlook. It's even got the driver's-side-only windshield wiper! Although this body type appears to have been more used by Horch, it seems Mercedes did in fact make cars like this in the 30's.

So while built for the film, like the cargo truck, it would appear it is in fact meant to replicate a historical pre-WWII German vehicle.

Kooshmeister

It is apparently supposed to be this:

Which is a Mercedes-Benz LG3000.

And, to answer your question in that thread, yes, the cargo truck is also in Top Secret! It's the truck Nigel drives at the end. Nick even pulls an Indy by leaping from his motorcycle onto the side of the truck to tussle with the driver in the cab.

Stoo

I meant the troop car. Do you what model of Mercedes the troop car is based on?

As for the "Top Secret" truck, did you read the other thread? It wasn't me asking
the question but I listed all the reasons why it might NOT be the "Raiders" truck.
Look closely as there are loads of differences.;)

Kooshmeister

Oh, I misunderstood. It's a Mercedes-Benz G5 'Gelaendewagen':

g5.jpeg

Obviously being a stunt mockup for a film it isn't exactly the same as the real vehicle, but the overall shape etc. make it clear (to me anyway) that that is what they were attempting to emulate.

Stoo

Quite right. I totally agree. Congratulations, Koosh, you've made a great discovery!:hat: Nice choice of photo as it looks like Indy is in back seat!
Thanks for the info. Now, if we can only find a picture of the Gelaendewagen with an MG-34 mounted in the rear...

The "The troop car lives!" thread LIVES!

Stoo

I recently spotted the troop car in some archival footage! If you can, check out the old documentary series, "The World at War" - Part 3 "France Falls". The clip is brief but it's there as well as a few shots of the TRUCK! So cool to see these things driving around. It was like seeing an old friend...

Indy trucks and cars for sale...

Indy Cast 57 has a story and links to Crystal Skull vehicles for sale...

An Episode or two earlier had the Staff Car on eBay...it was a Jaguar originally.

NickTurner

Me mate says he could do better.

Talk is sooooooooo cheap! Where's his troop car?

Huh?

Proof is in the posting!

arkfinder

Even in the '50's there wasn't alot of car choices. So the fact there is another car that is the same model isn't and shouldn't be a shock. :)

Stoo

Present Location Found

Hey, Kooshmeister. Don't know if you're still around but I have some good news:

The troop car is alive & well in a museum at Melody Ranch Motion Picture Studio, which opened in 2001 in Newhall, Santa Clarita Valley, California. (Incidentally, the 2nd half of "Young Indy and the Hollywood Follies" takes place in Newhall.;))

I found the information here:
http://www.therpf.com/f45/raiders-lost-ark-other-props-melody-ranch-studio-145980/

According to the museum's plaque, it was "constructed from a 1942 Dodge Weapons Carrier". (According to the guy who took the photos, it was also used in the film, "Valkyrie".)

TroopCar_01_zpscc2aa52f.jpg

TroopCar_02_zpsbd46d2df.jpg

Stoo

Nice to see you back, Koosh!(y)

*If* it was indeed used in "Valkyrie", my guess would be somewhere in the beginning, since it opens in North Africa. Otherwise, it would have most likely been repainted for the European scenes and then painted back to khaki for the museum.

Will have to watch the movie again and look for it.

Kooshmeister

According to IMCDb, it's somewhere in the background of the opening sequence in Africa. However, I just watched the scene and couldn't see it anywhere. It must not be in any shots included in the finished film. Alas.

Now if someone can just find me a place to see Jenny's War, the other movie this thing is supposed to have appeared in...

And thanks! :cool:

Last edited:

Kooshmeister

Here is a recent-ish (?) pic of it:

mercedesstaffcarindianajones.jpg

I've never seen it with this particular camo scheme and the cross symbol on the side before. Could this be how it appeared in Jenny's War (if indeed it appears in that film)?

The headlights are also mounted differently from the ones in the photo taken at the car museum. It's missing the rollbar in both, though. It appears to have lost that sometime between Raiders and Top Secret!, as it doesn't have the rollbar in that film.

Last edited: