Foreign language dialogue

fortune&glory

I read a post from a supposed German speaker say that the soldier said it was 'chicks'; 'these americans they fight like chicks.' Something to that effect.

Viper

fortune&glory said:
I read a post from a supposed German speaker say that the soldier said it was 'chicks'; 'these americans they fight like chicks.' Something to that effect.
Well I certainly don't think it's
"These chicks fight like sissies" :rolleyes:

Gear

I thought he said "The American, he fights like a girl! :D "
Little difference though.
I used to be able to say "HOLLY S---! BIG GRENADE!!" in German.

Viper

I have a German background, so I have had a few lessons.

My grandmother actually sat on Hitler's lap when she was a baby.

HovitosKing

Viper said:
I have a German background, so I have had a few lessons.

My grandmother actually sat on Hitler's lap when she was a baby.

That's pretty amazing. My ancestry is German, but I don't speak German at all.

Jim Tigernuts

I really really want to know what he says! And in the home video/dvd version indy says something different to that.

Also, what does he say on the rope bridge to short round in chinese? And translation?

And the exchange while playing cards in the jungle. Inquiring minds want to know.

If there are any chinese-speakers out there, I'm pretty sure
http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/multimedia/sounds

has the Lao Che dialogue.

Jim Tigernuts

here is the gist of it: (btw I figured out that Indy says "Istuti, bahama istuti" in the village?it's Singhalese!

Posted by Kt Templar

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the opening song seems to make no sense. I've shown it to Cantonese, Mandarin and Shanghainese speakers and they have all drawn a blank. However, it may be down to the pronounciation, anyone else had better luck?

All of Short Round's dialogue is in Cantonese, which seems odd as he is supposed to be from Shanghai!

Anyway when Ford talks with him it is Cantonese and that dialogue is clearest (Mostly during the card game).

Nor mo lor say cherng pai: I didn't take 4 cards.

Nor im tung lai wan: I'm not playing with you.

When Ford talks to him on the rope bridge it is slightly garbled and I can't tell what he is supposed to be saying.

It sounds like:

Lor chu la chu sansa: Lor chu = grab hold of. But the second part can't tell.

And when the villagers make a fuss of SR.

Du im ju, nor im hai lai gor jai = Sorry, I'm not your son.

And when he is being chased int the mines.

Im hao sait nor! = Don't kill me!

Anyway that's as much as I can remember off the top of my head!

I've always heard "Chao Chee" as well.

Pretty much "Grab hold".

Most of the Club sequence is a dialect I don't know... I guess it may be Shanghainese.

The one who shoots at Indy whilst he's behind the gong says "I kill you, I kill you!" Imaginative dialogue!

In the chase SR says: Hang mai yat been = (Literally) Walk to one side, which is obviously "Get out the way!"

On the plane they seen to be talking 2 dialects, one guy says "I'll go and take a look" as he peeks behind the curtain.

Card game.

Nor ng fan. "I'm not playing"

Running from the dancers.

SR: "Help! Someone's trying to kill me!"

Kooshmeister

Translating the German dialogue.

I think it's about time some serious attempt was made to translate some of the German dialogue in Raiders. A German-speaking friend of mine was able to translate Toht's line during the truck chase, for starters.

"Achtung! Die Leute!" - "Watch out! The people!" Which gives him a fifteenth line in the film, instesd of just fourteen as claimed by Indy-Pedia. (I've updated it accordingly.)

But I'm also dying to know, in the airplane fight:

1. What the guy with the wrench says. I know the big, bald guy's dialogue has been discussed on here before, but poor Mr. Badwrench's dialogue has gone unmentioned.

And during the truck chase:

1. What Gobler (or whoever) yells upon seeing Indy just as the chase begins.
2. What the soldiers yell when Gobler's gunner fires in their direction recklessly.
3. What the other guys in Gobler's car are saying after "Ah, scheisse!" when he drives back onto the road. It really is difficult to make out but I am interested in know what they're saying.
4. What the one soldier says after climbing out of the river, when they wipe out in their motorcycle.
5. What the Sergeant says that his guys respond to with "Jawohl!" before they climb out onto the sides of the truck.
6. The incidental dialogue of the soldiers as they're climbing out.
7. And finally, what Dietrich says that makes the Sergeant floor it (I get "Come!" though).

Last edited:

Stoo

Hey, Koosh. I'd like to know this, too. Blue Jay? Flannery10? torao? Anyone?
The U-boat commander says "Dive" ("Tauchen") when the submarine leaves the Bantu Wind.
Kooshmeister said:
but poor Mr. Badwrench's dialogue has gone unmentioned
Is that what you call him?:D

Michael24

I know we're talking about Raiders, but two lines of German dialogue in The Last Crusade always had me curious, and you hear them throughout the movie.

One sounds like "Eine Vivego." I think you can hear it as the Germans drop into the tank just as Henry Sr. is about to rescue Marcus

Don't know how I'd spell it in German, but the other one sounds like "How could they kah!" You can hear it when the Germans almost run into the fire through the fireplace, and twice during the tank battle. First when they're jumping onto the tank, just before Indy smokes them all with the gun, and again from the truck just before Henry Sr. blows it up with the side gun.

KarmicCurse

Also from Last Crusade: When Indy's face hits the periscope the guy in the tank says something that starts with "de Americana...". - ?

Michael24

KarmicCurse said:
Also from Last Crusade: When Indy's face hits the periscope the guy in the tank says something that starts with "de Americana...". - ?
I actually took my Last Crusade script to school one day and had my German teacher translate that line for me. He says either "This American. He fights like a woman" or "These Americans. They fight like women." LOL!!!

Michael24 said:
One sounds like "Eine Vivego." I think you can hear it as the Germans drop into the tank just as Henry Sr. is about to rescue Marcus.
That one is actually "Keine Bewegung!", the German equivalent to "Freeze!" or "Don't move!" (literally: "No movement!")

Michael24 said:
the other one sounds like "How could they kah!" You can hear it when the Germans almost run into the fire through the fireplace, and twice during the tank battle. First when they're jumping onto the tank, just before Indy smokes them all with the gun, and again from the truck just before Henry Sr. blows it up with the side gun.
The German lines after one of the soldiers hits the pedal to rotate the fireplace are a little hard to understand over the noise, but this is what I get:

"Lasst sie nicht entkommen!" - "Don't let them escape!" (Or "Ihr könnt nicht entkommen!" - "You can't escape!"... not sure)

"Feuer!!!" - "Fire!!!" (the flames, not the order to shoot ;) )

"Rauf auf den Kerl!" - "Get that guy!" (literally: "Onto that guy!") ... your "How could they kah!" ;)

"Los raus, Feuer!" - "Get out, fire!" (warning the other soldiers... as if they didn't see the fire :rolleyes: )

And the woman going "Los!", "Vorwärts!" and "Hinterher!" - "Go!", "Move!" (literally "Forward!"), "After them!"

Luckily the German in "Last Crusade" is quite good (unlike a lot of other movies), although there are some actors doing the lines that are CLEARLY no Germans (like the guy going "Keine Bewegung!" in the tank).

The weirdest part though is in the temple at the end, when the group gets caught by the Nazis. As they raise their hands, one of the soldiers goes "Los, zurück!" (perfect, fluent German: "Back up!"... commanding them to back up, not calling FOR back up), another one goes "Keine Bewegung!" ;) (not fluent) and "Das ist ein Überfall!" (fluent), which means "It's an ambush!". The last line might sound reasonable to you (and obviously to Spielberg as well), since the soldier alarms his colleagues. Unfortunately the cliché-line "Das ist ein Überfall!" is used in German movies and dubs for decades, and always belongs to the ATTACKERS... not someone SPOTTING an ambush.

Ah well, Crusade still has quite decent German lines in it... unlike "Die Hard".

Stoo

Great info, Laserschwert!(y) Any idea on the "Raiders" dialogue?
You can hear a soldier calling out for water ("Wasser!") after the Flying Wing explodes.