I'm new.

Spurlock

I'm Spurlock. I live in Sleepy Hollow, New York (that's not a joke), and have been a fan of the franchise since boulders started to roll. I am a writer (actually just going to highschool at the moment) on my free time, my main interest in writing is science fiction, but I have a series inspired by Indiana Jones, with many similar qualities and adventures.

I have lots of good ideas for more Indiana Jones films that'd aren't just "Indy goes to the Congo to find gold and kill nazis". I'd like to enter several ideas to the Indiana Jones 5 plot contest, so if anyone knows where I can enter, that'd be great.

Thanks, that is all.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I'm Spurlock. I live in Sleepy Hollow, New York (that's not a joke), and have been a fan of the franchise since boulders started to roll. I am a writer (actually just going to highschool at the moment) on my free time, my main interest in writing is science fiction, but I have a series inspired by Indiana Jones, with many similar qualities and adventures.

I have lots of good ideas for more Indiana Jones films that'd aren't just "Indy goes to the Congo to find gold and kill nazis". I'd like to enter several ideas to the Indiana Jones 5 plot contest, so if anyone knows where I can enter, that'd be great.

Thanks, that is all.

Hi there, Spurlock. Welcome to the Raven! You can ask the moderators for the specifics about what you need to do as far as the contest goes.

And a fellow writer! (y) I'd be curious to hear some of your concepts. Feel free to PM me, if you'd like to share. :hat:

Spurlock

Thanks, I already asked one through PMs, but that was just to submit more ideas, I already got my best idea in.

And I expected more writers to be here, do you write purely Indy-related stories, or do you have your own personal, unrelated projects? I have both :D

Sea Monarch

Spurlock said:

Thanks, that is all.

Welcome to The Raven Spurlock. Well, if you're currently in High School, I daresay, the Chacopoyan Bowling Ball was rolling long before you were born. ;) Not that it matters, we love having new patrons, young and old. And I take it you've been a fan since you can remember.
Also, dig that you enjoy to write stories about Indy. (y) Make yourself at home!

Spurlock

Yeah, loved them since I can remember, even wanted to be an archaeologist, I'd draw massive maps of interesting regions, labeling all the archaeological sites.

I'm not sure many people would know of these because most of you are a lot older than me but they also had these Legos years ago based on Indiana Jones with a character Johnny Thunder. Played with those for years.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Thanks, I already asked one through PMs, but that was just to submit more ideas, I already got my best idea in.

And I expected more writers to be here, do you write purely Indy-related stories, or do you have your own personal, unrelated projects? I have both :D

I mostly do original work. I've dabbled in fan fiction, but I don't care for it much, as I feel more comfortable writing something that is entirely of my own creation. Otherwise I feel I am wasting whatever minuscule talent I may have doing something that will forever only just be "a fan work".

Now, if I were contracted to do an official story in a franchise, maybe I'd be more willing... That said, I don't discount the value of fan works. On the contrary, I highly encourage them, as they are a heartwarming expression of passion for something, that at the same time allows for honing of your own talent and creativity.

I just prefer to wallow in my own fictional worlds, is all...;)

Spurlock

Wow, cool, me too. I have really only one massive series in mind, with many different franchises within, as well as an IJ inspired series I call Arcanum.

I agree, fan fiction is pretty entertaining to read, and I appreciate those who write it, but i'd never write a film that I one day wouldn't hope to translate to the silver screen. The only problem I have is if I come up with a really good idea by accident, I can't help but develop it further in my mind, even if it's for a series like IJ.

The Drifter

Welcome to The Raven!
A place where men can go to get away from their nagging wives and annoying children! A place where the whiskey flows as free as Finn's threats! Oh, this is a magical place, lad. Full of wonders. There be dragons in the dark corners, but fear not!
No, sit near the hearth, laugh deep, drink deep, and be merry. For you are in the company of giants!

Pssst! And there is a 100 dollar cover charge. Just give the cash to me...:rolleyes:

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Pssst! And there is a 100 dollar cover charge. Just give the cash to me...
Appreciate the fact that you're still at least trying to cover all your debts. Just not sure if I appreciate your methods.

That being said, I want two yards by the end of the week, stat, or you'll be trying out the new ice bar outside with no pants on.

Now, what kind of whiskey did you want with that?

And oh, a new guy. Go right on in, I think we have room by the ball pit somewhere. And if you hear growling from the pit, don't mind. It's just Mordy, the owner, trying to work out how to have the balls to run this place. Also, feel free to have a milkshake at the bar. On the house. Just don't ask where the milk came from. And especially the shake.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Wow, cool, me too. I have really only one massive series in mind, with many different franchises within, as well as an IJ inspired series I call Arcanum.

I agree, fan fiction is pretty entertaining to read, and I appreciate those who write it, but i'd never write a film that I one day wouldn't hope to translate to the silver screen. The only problem I have is if I come up with a really good idea by accident, I can't help but develop it further in my mind, even if it's for a series like IJ.

I face a similar issue a lot too. If you come up with a truly great idea while writing a fanfic, why not put it in an original story and thus be able to properly publish it and contribute an awesome new story to the world of fiction that you can well and truly call your own? A classic dilemma for fanfic writers, and my main reason for being adverse to doing it myself.

On that note, boy is it nice to be having such a conversation on this site. It's always a delight talking to fellow aspiring writers.

Spurlock

kongisking said:
I face a similar issue a lot too. If you come up with a truly great idea while writing a fanfic, why not put it in an original story and thus be able to properly publish it and contribute an awesome new story to the world of fiction that you can well and truly call your own? A classic dilemma for fanfic writers, and my main reason for being adverse to doing it myself.

On that note, boy is it nice to be having such a conversation on this site. It's always a delight talking to fellow aspiring writers.

Well that's what my Indy-themed stories are about, except one of the big differences between mine and IJ is mine replaces mythological with more realistic, still vastly improbable, and don't have any supernatural association. So when I come up with good mythological plot devices or things of that nature, I have nowhere else to channel it but there.

Yeah, from that conversation above, I can tell there are two types of people on this site :p

And thanks to everyone else, good to feel welcomed :)

Sea Monarch

kongisking said:
I mostly do original work. I've dabbled in fan fiction, but I don't care for it much, as I feel more comfortable writing something that is entirely of my own creation. Otherwise I feel I am wasting whatever minuscule talent I may have doing something that will forever only just be "a fan work".

Now, if I were contracted to do an official story in a franchise, maybe I'd be more willing... That said, I don't discount the value of fan works. On the contrary, I highly encourage them, as they are a heartwarming expression of passion for something, that at the same time allows for honing of your own talent and creativity.

I just prefer to wallow in my own fictional worlds, is all...;)

Spurlock said:

kongisking said:

Man, I agree with so much of what both you guys just said! I have been kicking around a few ideas in my head that, as much as I would love to share them with fellow Raveners, I would hate for them to simply get relegated along with so much other fan fiction. I sense that once those specific ideas were to be shared, even if they were to be forged into a proper screenplay, and commissioned to be used, they would be taken for granted, and diminished, due to their early exposure into the fan consciousness. :(

We all should know that even the best ideas have small beginnings, and start like a seed. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than a few great potential movie screenplays that get close to being made into relevant movies, but they aren't nurtured, and pruned enough, (or perhaps to much), and instead of being valued and appreciated, by their creator, the author lacks the patience, confidence, or knowledge, to take them to the next level, and they get haplessly thrown in the ring, with so much, "hey wouldn't it be cool if....." material!

I'm all for fans having fun, writing ideas, and sharing them. But Man... if you think you've got PEARLS, DON'T toss them before SWINE!!! :gun:

I do appreciate this forum, and thoroughly enjoy sharing common interest with many people here. But another factor, is the discrimination factor. Namely, you could be a no name screenwriter that comes up with a brilliant idea, you create a great screenplay, and it gets chosen to make a really great movie! But then, I believe there's a subconscious prejudice, that if you were to take the same great script, and submit it in a fan forum, some may appreciate it, and it may even be considered the best of the lot! But some might write it off, not because they objectively look at it's merits, but because it originated from a source familiar to us. They might say, "It's good, but it was on a fan site, so how good can it really be. If it were that good, they would be a professional writer". I say to that "Well maybe they're about to get discovered". "A Prophet is never honored in his hometown", as it were.(n)

Don't get me wrong, I understand how inbred, and in a vacuum/fishbowl, some fan fiction can get, if not given enough perspective, room, and air to breathe. And a fresh perspective can be a good thing. But dangitt, it stands to reason that a franchises best work can, most often come from it's passionate devotees. Case in point, I think it's no accident that Joss Whedon pulled off The Avengers, so impeccably well, out of a deep love, and reverence for the material. And I suspect J.J. Abrams' deep love for the Star Wars universe, will have an equally positive impact on the upcoming Episode VII's outcome.:cool:

Fortunately, I haven't personally ran into this problem,:) but it is why I am hesitant to share my ideas on a fan forum such as this.

I'm obviously passionate about the subject, but one last thing worth mentioning, is that while I was merely reading the forums here, and hadn't become a member at the Raven yet, I stumbled upon a VERY, VERY specific scene idea, that someone had posted, and I swear it was to the letter with the same shot/scene idea I had devised, but had never posted here, or elsewhere. I had however, shared it with a few close friends, in some very public places. And in putting clues together from other posts this person had written, it looks very likely, this person lives in the same City as I do. I suspect this person "borrowed" my idea, and then posted for everyone to read. Either they plagiarized me, or this bloke has a creative like-mindedness I truly admire. I haven't seen this person post in quite a while, but I've been meaning to get to the bottom of this.

It honestly made me livid, and is the biggest thing to get me to finally join, so that I could approach them about it.:mad: But then I considered that if they didn't swipe my idea, it would be kinda cool they thought of it too. (y) I've put it off for some time now, because I wasn't sure of the best approach, but maybe I will PM them in private, or at least approach the mods. Either way, I would almost have rather saved it for a proper screenplay, or at least got credit for it! Of course, if they honestly came up with it them self, I would not begrudge them of that. Just that It be known I came up with it on my own before, and I've got witnesses, 5 or 6 of them!;)

Spurlock said:
I'm not sure many people would know of these because most of you are a lot older than me but they also had these Legos years ago based on Indiana Jones with a character Johnny Thunder. Played with those for years.

You may be surprised, though I never played with them, or noticed them, judging from some of the posts I've read there are more than a few Raiders here that know of that series, and have even collected them. Here at The Raven, age is just a number, and geekdom knows no age, no limits,....and no shame!;)

Never Underestimate your abilities Spurlock! And keep honing your craft! You'll go far in life! (y)

Last edited: