What was your experience seeing KOTCS in the theater like?

Dr.Jonesy

I seem to remember my auditorium packed. People got the humor, and seemed to be having a good time. Everyone seemed to be into it, and once the credits rolled most of the crowed applauded.

I haven't seen that since Spiderman 2 and Iron Man or The Departed. It happened in The Dark Knight but still, applause is rare for me to hear.

I was one of the few that was so pissed off at the POS I thought I had just seen. Don't worry, after multiple viewings I love it(y)

But how did the crowd in your theater react to the film?

The Man

Dr.Jonesy said:
I seem to remember my auditorium packed. People got the humor, and seemed to be having a good time. Everyone seemed to be into it, and once the credits rolled most of the crowed applauded.

I haven't seen that since Spiderman 2 and Iron Man or The Departed. It happened in The Dark Knight but still, applause is rare for me to hear.

I was one of the few that was so pissed off at the POS I thought I had just seen. Don't worry, after multiple viewings I love it(y)

But how did the crowd in your theater react to the film?

Some of the kids shrieked when the ants 'invaded' Dovchenko, but other than that? Nothing. Not a hoot, not a holler, no applause to the credits. Felt like a wake...

Dr.Jonesy

The Man said:
Some of the kids shrieked when the ants 'invaded' Dovchenko, but other than that? Nothing. Not a hoot, not a holler, no applause to the credits. Felt like a wake...

Dang, I was wondering when you'd be here to throw your two cents in on how you felt about the film!:gun:

Insomniac

Standing ovation for all the 12:00 may 22 fans. Humorus parts everyone laughed everyone was wowed and amazed!!!(y)

Lance Quazar

My friend and I made an honest effort to enjoy the movie, at least for the first hour.

Laughing at the jokes, trying to get into it...until it became all too obvious that we were looking at crap.

The rest of the audience was silent and stone-faced throughout the movie. A packed house, barely a chuckle or sign of life anywhere.

The buzz of disappointment and frustration complete pervaded the lobby after the show.

QBComics

Mine was perfect!

There was a cheer at the beginning. Laughs when appropiate. Cheers when Indy kicked ass, and plenty more. Cheer at the end.

:D

TheLastCrusader

The Man said:
Ditto. I didn't know silence in a movie theater could be annoying before then.

caats

i had applauds at the end of my first 2 viewings. i don't really expect applauds after the first weekend. i had lots of fun when i saw it, lots of laughing in the theatre. and when Indy blew the dart into the graveyard guy the theatre went "ohhhhhhhhhhhh". the next 2 were more subdued, but that's what i expected cause they were later.

Deckard

Very much the same as The Phantom Menace. Except peope actually booed when I saw phantom menace, no one did that at Indy.

Packed theatre, everyone applauded at the opening titles. After the opening scene, two guys and girl wearing a fedora that were sitting up front got up and walked out. I rememer thinking thats not good. They drew alot of attention, and I can't say i really blame them.

People still reacted well to the humor etc. But at the end of the film it was total silence. No one clapped. People just kind of collected their things and left. In the lobby the general reaction was dissapointment, especialy over the aliens. This was the midnight show, no kids, mostly adults and overall I'd say they enjoyed themselves but the film fell short.

caats

yeah when i was walking out i was smiling to big to notice anyone. but the aliens were real hard to watch on first viewing.

Zealot

I don't remember exactly how the audience reacted but I know that there was no applaud of any kind. People just grabbed their things and left.

caats

i know man. it was so horrible. comedies that aren't funny are the worst to sit through. actually, topping that was when i got dragged to the Love Guru. worst. ever.

Zealot said:
I don't remember exactly how the audience reacted but I know that there was no applaud of any kind. People just grabbed their things and left.

opposed to leaving their things and staying?

Dr Bones

TheLastCrusader said:
Ditto. I didn't know silence in a movie theater could be annoying before then.

Who are you applauding?

Most films in UK cinemas get almost silence. Other than the odd LOL's and shrieks in appropriate places. (Obvioulsy the odd whisper, cell phone or ingorant talker!)

In the UK people rarely applaud at the end..what's the point? Nobody is actually there on stage to show your appreciation to and I doubt if there's even a projection operator in the back these days.

Just the way us Brits are, so it's hard to guage opinion at a cinema showing.

Tell tale signs in Uk cinemas are people walking out mid film, complaining on the way out or kids talking/messing around because they are bored.

Superman Returns and Ang Lee's Hulk was a prime example. Kids were not interested unless there was action on screen, then they went back to running around as the rest of the film was too dull.

Quantum of Solace had quite a few "moaners" opinions as they left the cinema. "Not as good as the last one..etc"

KOTCS did Ok by comparrison.(y) People were laughing at appropriate humourous bits. People seemed quite positive as they left.

The Man

Dr Bones said:
In the UK people rarely applaud at the end..what's the point? Nobody is actually there on stage to show your appreciation to and I doubt if there's even a projection operator in the back these days.

That's very true. In Ireland, applause was once quite common. I remember watching the '80's Bond movies in the cinema, which would always get good ovations. Rocky IV had people actually cheering and coaching Balboa on. But from the '90's on the practice seemed to have withered.

The last movie that got total applause was American Beauty...

Udvarnoky

I went see the movie several times, so I experienced a range of different reactions. The midnight showing was the most memorable for me, because it was packed with nothing but Indiana Jones fans who were eager for nothing more than a fun ride, and their response was muted at best. The sense I got wasn't so much "WTF is this garbage" as it was "...This is it?" Everyone walked out underwhelmed, which is in its own way more depressing than outright hostility, which is at least a passionate response.

The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when I took an under ten relative of mine (an overnight Indy fanatic by my doing) to an early afternoon showtime, which was naturally attended by mostly kids. The audience and especially him really seemed to dig it, and it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie. In the case of Indy4, kids definitely seemed to occupy that category.

Dr Bones

Udvarnoky said:
The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when I took an under ten relative of mine (an overnight Indy fanatic by my doing) to an early afternoon showtime, which was naturally attended by mostly kids. The audience and especially him really seemed to dig it, and it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie. In the case of Indy4, kids definitely seemed to occupy that category.

I guess there you have it...fanboys and people with whatever expectations were dissapointed but those with an open mind, such as that of a child, simply going to be entertained rather than act as film critics, enjoyed it.

I wonder if ROTLA was made after TOD would those who prefer it have a different opinion?

We seem to get territorial over films that have nostalgic value to us or whatever significance but ultimately they are not our property.

If your child painted you a picture which you then stuck on your fridge, would you refuse to put up the next one because in your opinion it wasn't as good or wasn't the first?

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Dr Bones said:
I guess there you have it...fanboys and people with whatever expectations were dissapointed but those with an open mind, such as that of a child, simply going to be entertained rather than act as film critics, enjoyed it.

They've certainly got more of an open mind than you do, that's for sure. I'm getting really sick of this argument that everyone who was disappointed by the movie felt that way because their expectations were unfair.