Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
I've kind of come around to thinking that introducing the new actor in Indy 5 isn't such a hot idea after all. Give all the screentime to Ford and design the reboot (casting included) when it's actually time to.

I don't see what would be wrong with a short prologue sequence similar to LC, introducing the new actor, as long as the rest of the film is dominated by Ford, and as long as he isn't one upped by a younger actor consistently as he was in KOTCS. So many moments where Harrison sat in the backseat and looked on as Mutt did something. This will likely be Harrison's last Indy, and Harrison's last or at least one of his last action films - let's end the Harrison era of Indy with a bang - not a whimper. I don't want Harrison to be relegated to the role of Prime Spock.

I also hope they don't kill Indy off at the end.

Face_Melt

Walecs said:
Technically, yes it does.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning

TFA was a sequel, not a reboot.

I'm still convinced Indy 5 should feature Ford as the only Indy actor and keep the expanded universe intact. After that, may Disney do whatever they want.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thedin...rday-annie-leibovitz-keeps-the-tradition/amp/

The Force Awakens was a soft reboot, as I mentioned before reboots can be sequels.
Nobody can deny it was a reboot of the franchise.

Again a franchise reboot is different from a continuity reboot. Batman Begins was a continuity reboot, The Force Awakens was a franchise reboot.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Walecs said:
Technically, yes it does.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning

TFA was a sequel, not a reboot.

I'm still convinced Indy 5 should feature Ford as the only Indy actor and keep the expanded universe intact. After that, may Disney do whatever they want.

The simplest, most pleasing option would be:

1) Have a younger actor with a scene set in the 1920s ala LC. Short. This avoids the YIJC and keeps that intact in terms of continuity. It also sets up this new guy as an accepted part of Indy's universe as his younger self.

2) Let the rest of the film be dominated by Ford.

I think it's most realistic to assume that, like with Star Wars, they're going to want to proceed forward with Indy and most of the EU will be thrown out. That doesn't mean elements from the EU couldn't show up in a prequel.

There exists a 13 year gap between the YIJC, and Temple of Doom, which means an entire series of films could be set between 1921 and 1934 without disregarding either the original film or TV series. I would like to see that gap filled in films which leave the continuity of the original Ford era franchise (YIJC is part of this given his appearance in MOTB) intact.

Udvarnoky

Face_Palm said:
A reboot does not always mean a continuity reboot.

I guess everyone's definition is different. In my view, a new continuity is precisely what makes something a reboot.

Face_Melt

Soft reboot:

Unlike a reboot, which discards all continuity in a franchise, a "soft reboot" relaunches and introduces a film, television, or video game series to a new generation of consumers while still maintaining continuity with previous installments in a franchise. Examples include Jurassic World and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Udvarnoky

Yeah, I don't really buy into the "soft reboot" idea. Some things are just binary.

Raiders112390 said:
I also hope they don't kill Indy off at the end.
Spielberg has said point-blank that he would not. Then again, I recall Harrison Ford stating point-blank that Indy wouldn't have a child in Indy 4 (I think this was in the 2002-2003 arena). I also recall Spielberg saying point-blank that he and Janusz Kaminski would "swallow their pride" and honor Doug Slocombe's lighting style in the fourth movie. They certainly keep us guessing!

Udvarnoky

We're not talking about the Pythagorean theorem here. We're talking about arbitrary, internet-coined subset categories for slotting movie sequels in. It's no cause for peevishness.

Face_Melt

That doesn't change the fact that the Force Awakens is a reboot.

Any future Indy sequels can also be reboots without throwing continuity down the drain.

Face_Melt

Too many differences to be a remake. Finn is a character whose story arc is non existent in the original trilogy for example.

Z dweller

Let's not forget the Hollywood Reporter's quirky neologism in an interview with Iger before the announcement: it's going to be a... requel.

curmudgeon

Face_Palm said:
Too many differences to be a remake. Finn is a character whose story arc is non existent in the original trilogy for example.

I have thoughts on this, but I'll take them to the thread we have for that movie.

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
Yeah, I don't really buy into the "soft reboot" idea. Some things are just binary.

Spielberg has said point-blank that he would not. Then again, I recall Harrison Ford stating point-blank that Indy wouldn't have a child in Indy 4 (I think this was in the 2002-2003 arena). I also recall Spielberg saying point-blank that he and Janusz Kaminski would "swallow their pride" and honor Doug Slocombe's lighting style in the fourth movie. They certainly keep us guessing!

Indy would've been better off without a child to be honest. I've always liked the Saucerman version of the script. Some marriage of that, with the City of Gods script, would've made for an epic movie. Both involve no son. I would also have preferred Marion not to come back. Not because I dislike her; I just think Indy should have a different girl every movie.

Speaking of Marion, am I alone in wanting to see Indy V take a dark turn? Recall one of his influences, Bond, and Vesper. It would be interesting if the subplot of the movie was revenge (whereas the subplots of LC and KOTC are rescue). Revenge for Marion's death. He and Marion are in the process of finding an important artifact together in the beginning, and this man intercepts them, in a fashion similar to Belloq (always one step ahead), and in the ensuing battle for the artifact Marion gets shot. Indy is able to get out of there alive, and chases this guy of his own accord across the world. In the end, he kills the guy, and gets the artifact, looks at it, and for the first time, tosses it away to history. We see him at the end come home and hang up his hat. Something like that. The hung up hat could be the final shot of the film - something more definitive for Harrison's Indy than the ending of LC (where he could perhaps have many more adventures, off in the wide blue yonder) and KOTCS (Which allows for more adventures since he explicitly takes his hat from Mutt).

Udvarnoky

I think killing off Marion would be tacky, and I doubt Spielberg would sign off on it in any event.

Mutt, on the other hand...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
I think killing off Marion would be tacky, and I doubt Spielberg would sign off on it in any event.

Mutt, on the other hand...

I defer to the YIJC experts to say whether Mutt marrying a woman who Indy and Marion treat as a daughter, Mutt then dying, and the daughter-in-law then remarrying can account for the canon established in the George Hall segments.

Toht's Arm

Wouldn't be happy with the fridging of Marion. That's pretty lazy screenwriting, right there.

But then again, Indy was already fridged last time around...sort of. ;)

IndyBuff

I don't want to see them kill Marion or Mutt off. I think there are sufficient ways to set them aside and have Indy be the main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.