Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
Both of you, Lance & Darth, are saying that if it existed we would have some evidence by this point in time...27 years later. Unfortunately, we don't so the hunt is on. If you desire to see any new/old footage then join me in the quest instead of suggesting that some people are suffering from delusions. (If you feel that the search is a fruitless effort, then fine.)

It must be said that all this 'false memory' talk is both mildly insulting & funny at the same time. However, to show you that I have a good sense of humour, from now on, feel free to refer to me as Stoo deMille in this thread.:p

Interesting comparison, Stoo. My position on the existence of this scene is pretty much the same as it is regarding "alien visitation."

While I agree that it is at least theoretically possible, I personally don't believe it's real. However, I am obviously completely open to being proven wrong.

But, like the alien situation, I cannot accept eyewitness accounts as verifiable evidence.

False memory syndrome is very, very real and happens with incredible ease. Given that we have identified a possible genuine source for those memories (the books in question), I think that is a far, far more likely explanation than the existence of this phantom scene.

I "remember" many moments, lines of dialogue, even entire scenes from movies that I later realized didn't exist at all. It was just that memory playing tricks.

I know that it can be "mildly insulting" to be told that what you believe, what you remember, is wrong and I understand why the believers in this thread may feel a little bent out of shape as a result. I certainly don't want to insult anyone or make anyone upset.

But I consider myself an "egg-nostic" in this situation. I obviously can't say with complete certainty that it "never happened", but rather that there is no actual compelling evidence to prove it. And, in the absence of proof, my default position is that it doesn't exist.

But I am ALWAYS open to being proven wrong!

:gun:

inky_skin

All this talk of "egg catching" and yet no-one wonders whether they actually filmed the "naked bathing" scene that precedes the snake gag in the Marvel adaptation of ToD ? :D

Darth Vile

inky_skin said:
All this talk of "egg catching" and yet no-one wonders whether they actually filmed the "naked bathing" scene that precedes the snake gag in the Marvel adaptation of ToD ? :D

Wasn't aware of that one... it's been some time since I read both the novel and comic book. The bit I'd really like to see reinstated is how Willie gets caught after her escape in the temple. That particular scenes removal from the final edit always left a bit of a plot hole for me... it also left a gap where Chatter Lal's reveal as being a 'baddie' should be (although we suspected he wasn't a 'good guy').

inky_skin

Not wishing to derail the thread too much, but where is photographic evidence of this scene dammit ?

willie.jpg

Sharkey

I SAW that scene!

...and Indy gave Willie his snake.

I can see why they cut it out, but John Wlliam's funky music was really out of place.

Too bad we miss out on that...but I remember Willie looking over her shoulder and saying "anything goes."

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
I SAW that scene!

I can see why they cut it out, but John Wlliam's funky music was really out of place.

Too bad we miss out on that...but I remember Willie looking over her shoulder and saying "anything goes."

Lol..... :D

inky_skin

Sharkey said:
I SAW that scene!

LMFAO (y)

Stoo

JayDee said:
I still know him from a Star Wars board. I will try contact him.
Good news, JayDee.:) If this lead fails, I have a backup plan. (Like Leia said in 1977, "It's not over yet.")
Lance Quazar said:
I know that it can be "mildly insulting" to be told that what you believe, what you remember, is wrong and I understand why the believers in this thread may feel a little bent out of shape as a result. I certainly don't want to insult anyone or make anyone upset.
Have no fear, Lance. I'm not easily bent and find all the 'egg-nostic' doubts largely humorous rather than mildly insulting.:cool: However, more evidence is on the table to suggest that it WAS filmed than there is to prove that it wasn't.;) This has now become a personal crusade.
inky_sking said:
Inky, it's fitting that you mention that scene because I have a rare TV special from 1984 which features an unedited version of the poker game between Indy & Short Round (no shots of Willie encountering animals & screaming). Maybe, just maybe, this show is where I saw the egg. Time to dig it out of my video vault...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
Maybe, just maybe, this show is where I saw the egg. Time to dig it out of my video vault...

Wouldn't that irony just kill you, if you had it in your vault, all along?

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Wouldn't that irony just kill you, if you had it in your vault, all along?
Yes, because it's happened before!:eek: I never realized that I had 3 deleted scenes (and 1 alternate shot) from "Crusade" until c.2006/2007!:eek:

JuniorJones' earlier comment about having things "squirreled away" comes to mind...Gotta check the vault...

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
Yes, because it's happened before!:eek: I never realized that I had 3 deleted scenes (and 1 alternate shot) from "Crusade" until c.2006/2007!:eek:

JuniorJones' earlier comment about having things "squirreled away" comes to mind...Gotta check the vault...

What are the other 3 scenes????

inky_skin

Interesting how many alternate takes the Marvel adaptation has on ToD. It shows in detail how Willie escapes the Temple and is subsequently captured by Chattar Lal. It depicts Lal's demise. It shows the cut scene of the Thugee being brought out of the "sleep of Kali" by lava burns. The Dan Akroyd character has almost completely different dialog - in fact a lot of the dialog is switched throughout the scenes. It even shows Mola Ram briefly turning to good after being scorched by the Sankara Stones.

I realise that the comics are obviously based off early scripts in order to meet release deadlines - but the fact that the scene compositions are identical to what was shot gives credence to filmed yet unincluded scenes.

However, sadly, no egg gag.

It's strange - for many years I was convinced that it I'd seen ships colliding with the Death Star's deflector shield in Return of the Jedi. Couldn't find it in the video, Special Edition or DVD cuts. Wasn't until recently that someone pointed out it was only depicted in the novel and comic. Yet, I could've sworn...

@Stoo - look forward to you proving that your memories aren't soft-boiled...

Darth Vile

inky_skin said:
It's strange - for many years I was convinced that it I'd seen ships colliding with the Death Star's deflector shield in Return of the Jedi. Couldn't find it in the video, Special Edition or DVD cuts. Wasn't until recently that someone pointed out it was only depicted in the novel and comic. Yet, I could've sworn...

Interesting... I have a couple of friends who were convinced that they'd seen a scene where Moff Jerjerrod, knowing the game is up, orders the Death Star II to rotate and fire upon Endor's moon. Would have really upped the anti for the last few minutes, but unfortunately that scene was only within the novel.

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
It even shows Mola Ram briefly turning to good after being scorched by the Sankara Stones.

I remember that from the novelization! I did read that the year the film came out and do remember some additional scenes, as well. Like Willie escaping the temple and being recaptured.

The Mola Ram thing is definitely confusing - if Mola Ram was just under the black sleep, then who was the Thuggee Patient Zero, the REAL mastermind behind the cult? Who gave him the blood to begin with? Chatter Lal? Someone else?

Glad that wasn't in the finished film. I think Mola Ram should have been a TRUE believer, not just some mysterious unseen person's else's dupe.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
What are the other 3 scenes????
1) The spider scene from the Grail Temple.
2) Sallah taunting the camel to spit in Iskenderun.
3) Indy & Elsa running from the Cruciform Sword guys and crossing a bridge over a canal in Venice.

Mind you, they are just brief bits of footage and not the full scenes. Had them in my collection for over 20 years and never realized it!:eek: I put them on YouTube.
inky_skin said:
I realise that the comics are obviously based off early scripts in order to meet release deadlines - but the fact that the scene compositions are identical to what was shot gives credence to filmed yet unincluded scenes.

However, sadly, no egg gag.
Inky, it's nice to know that you're not a doubter.;) In the "Complete Making of", Rinzler says that the plane scene went through a couple of re-writes (see my post #146) and it seems as if the comic was based on an earlier script draft than the novel was. Why? Because in the comic, Indy says that he has everything under control when it comes time to fly the plane (with no egg scene). The novel is like the movie (& final shooting script) where he says that he doesn't know how to fly...and it includes the egg!

Tonnes of extra stuff must have been shot. We don't have any photos or footage of Willie at the back of the plane while Indy & Shorty are still asleep but I can PROVE that it was filmed.:gun:
inky_skin said:
@Stoo - look forward to you proving that your memories aren't soft-boiled...
So am I!:D

P.S. Lance, check out this thread: Who was under the black sleep of Kali?

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
1) The spider scene from the Grail Temple.
2) Sallah taunting the camel to spit in Iskenderun.
3) Indy & Elsa running from the Cruciform Sword guys and crossing a bridge over a canal in Venice.

Oh, I thought you meant scenes from "Temple of Doom." Still, 2 out of 3 scenes on that Crusade list are news to me. Very interesting. Though the Sallah scene sounds utterly pointless and hammy.

As I said, I eagerly await hard evidence to verify your claims. But, without it, I must remain skeptical.

:whip:

Darth Vile

Lance Quazar said:
I remember that from the novelization! I did read that the year the film came out and do remember some additional scenes, as well. Like Willie escaping the temple and being recaptured.

The Mola Ram thing is definitely confusing - if Mola Ram was just under the black sleep, then who was the Thuggee Patient Zero, the REAL mastermind behind the cult? Who gave him the blood to begin with? Chatter Lal? Someone else?

Glad that wasn't in the finished film. I think Mola Ram should have been a TRUE believer, not just some mysterious unseen person's else's dupe.

I always thought it should have been Chatter Lal. He could have been the Palpatine/Moff Tarkin to Mola Ram's Vader/Darth Maul. One of the let downs of TOD IMHO.

Hanselation

Stoo said:
To the German fans, JayDee and Hanselation: Are either of you in touch with Dennis Bruhn? (He used to be a Raven member named, Sankara, who was eventually banned.) The reason I ask is because he is, supposedly, the largest Indiana Jones collector in Germany. It's possible that he has every German VHS release in his collection.
Pale Horse, I...don't...understand...

JayDee said:
I still know him from a Star Wars board. I will try contact him.

indyvhs.JPG

I own this four german VHS Temple Of Doom VHS Cassette-Editions and none of them includes the egg scene.
(sorry for the bad picture quality)