Tell us about your first time...

Supernatural

Your first time watching Indy that is.

Who? What? When? Where? Why?

Tell us how old you were and what you thought.

An interseting story to tell?

But most important, just have fun! :whip:

Supernatural

June 1981
New Jersey

I was 10 years old and I went to a huge movie theater that had just been built.
Amazing to watch.
Nothing interesting to report there. But afterwards, I went back to see it.
Again and again and again.

I would buy a ticket in the early afternoon and sit there until it was time to go home for dinner. (The employees didn't care.) :p

It still holds the record for movie I've seen most in a theater.

Oh yeah, I built my own whip with time and patience and taught myself how to use it that summer too. (With lots of mistakes) :whip:

Just recently an old movie house (one of the one screen ones!) that plays old movies just played it for $5. I was 10 years old again.

Pale Horse

Staff member
My first time was in the back seat of a 1979 Yellow Grand Torino family wagon at a Drive-In. I was a young 10 years old.

I was with my sisters. :p

they could drive at the time, so all five of us went. It was screened the The World According to Garp. I didn't see it until many months after it opened.

Paden

I also was ten years old the first time I saw Raiders. It was early in the summer and a new shopping mall had just opened in my hometown. Among the mall's attractions was a new, four screen theatre. Three of the theatres were small, but the main auditorium was huge, with (to my ten-year-old perception) an enormous screen. I went with my parents and some of their friends and can remember being completely caught up in the story, my attention arrested in a way that few movies before (or since) had managed. My father, being a protective parent, insisted that my eyes be shielded when the Ark of the Covenant was opened. After that first viewing, I remember that Raiders and Indiana Jones were frequent topics of my conversation (so much so that I suspect my parents grew tired of Indy's name). I've watched it many times since, and it remains one of the few films that I thoroughly enjoy watching over and over again.

Dumi

I was about 10, or even younger, it was a few weeks before New Year`s Eve and on the TV, they programmed Raiders Of The Lost Ark for the night between years, and they were showing the teaser for it on TV, with scenes with the machine gun in Cairo, and Indy throwing himself everywhere, beating everybody up and waving his whip all around, I was blown away, it was absolutely great(for the next few days I remember throwing myself on the back on the closet, as If somebody shot towards me from the other side, and humming Raider`s March).On New Year`s Ever I was with my parents(and a few others at a restaurant),and on TV they were showing Raiders Of The Lost Ark, as scheduled, but I didn`t actually have the time to watch it carefully. I just remember the thing with the boulder, the idol and the scenes in Cairo and a few others. After that, some time later, I rented a tape with Last Crusade and watched it. Over and over and over and over and over again...And the rest is history :p

Indydan13

Well, I was a young 2 or 3 year old...my parents had them on tape (now on display in my house) and I watched them after I had "naptime"...I haven't stopped since then.......

roundshort

We went opening weekend it, 2 some crappy theater (they all pretty much sucked at the time) I was little like 7 I think, I really didn't want to see it, all I remember was the T.V. commerical for it had Harrison Ford speeding around on a horse, so I thought it was some lame ass cowboy flick (which at the time I was not into, my cowboy thing didn't happen until some time later) as a HUGE star wars fan I only wanted to see space movies. But my mom bless her heart, knew how great this movies would be so she dragged me and my older brother to the theater to see it. I was so blown away, my eyes were like dinner plates. I never looked back.. That summer my friends and I saw that sucker some 40 plus times.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
But my mom bless her heart.

Kiss ass.

Joe Brody on another forum said:
My family had a subscription to 'Time Magazine' back in the early '80's and Time ran a big article on RotLA weeks prior to the original release. Bear in mind, this in the days before 'Entertainment Tonight'-type shows were everywhere and there was constant pre-release hype from innumerable media sources.

The focus of the article was on Lucas/Spielberg and how they were intent on making a low-budget back to the glory days action adventure movie. The article had pictures of the model for the Tanis dig (you can see that picture in the bonus materials DVD) and the storyboard picture of IJ blasting away in Marion's bar. I was hooked from the get-go, and I had that magazine dog-eared and falling apart by opening day.

My mother let my brother and me stay home from school on opening day and she took us to the first matinee. I was blown away in that first showing and I've been a fan ever since.

Ten Characters.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Boy that was a long time ago...

1981 - Oklahoma City

We were always late. It wasn't until the third time that I learned about the Boulder scene. I thought we were in the wrong movie. It was that third experience that made me fall in love with adventure.

I remember the banners, stand-ups, and more. It was sooo cool!

roundshort

Hey easy Brody,

What kind of mother did you have that would let her kids stay home from school to see a movie? dang, did CYS know about this?

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Hey easy Brody,

What kind of mother did you have that would let her kids stay home from school to see a movie?

;) <- The first and last Indy emoticon I will ever use.

TombReader

I really wanted to see the film when it came out,but because we lived in such a small town,I didn't actually get the chance until a couple of years later.My dad was being a jerk,so we had to leave early(right before the Ark was opened),so it was still some time before I saw the movie in its entirety,but I loved it anyway. :)

theinfiniteweird

I think I was like 5. My dad was watching ToD on TV. He made me go to my room before the first Thugee ritual scene, but I peaked around the corner and watched. I was freaked out, wantd to cry, but was like, "Hey, this is neat" all at the same time. I was fine. But I knew from then on, Indy was the way to go!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I was about 8 or so. Last Crusade was being played on the big screen TV at a family friend's son's graduation party. I thought it was cool and the addiction started.