Who is your favorite Batman?

Who makes the best Batman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Montana Smith

Finn said:
C'mon, Monty. They make their female star wear a skinhugging latex suit for the best part of the movie and skip the opportunity to place the best parts under the strict scrutiny of the male gaze? We both know where the odds lie.

Well, you are the master of finding things, Finn!

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
However, I'm now loving the tongue-in-cheek Adam West version. Never thought I'd say that, but I'm really digging the intentional silliness, the old-time feel, and the cool '60s Batmobile.
Can't believe that I'm actually participating in a batsh!t thread but it must be said that, "G_d loves a sinner come to His understanding". (That's a line of dialogue from "Zulu". No idea of its biblical origins.)

Neal Hefti's theme tune & George Barris' design for the Batmobile are THE ONLY COOL THINGS about the BatDork character in ANY manifestation!:gun:

batmobile.jpg

1966-batmobile-1-1b.jpg

---
Yes, this thread is an old, CLOSED poll but why DIDN'T it include the 1st Batmans on film?:confused: (The person who started this back in 2006 was obviously clueless.) Why did it take 6 years for the BatDork serials to be mentioned?:confused: What is wrong with you Batman #1/Indiana Jones #2 fans?:confused: The Caped Crusader & his Boy Toy were portrayed on celluloid decades before 1966.:rolleyes:

Lewis Wilson (1943):

wilson.jpg

Robert Lowerey (1949):

7196572_123030124947.jpg

Take your Duh-dark Night/Nolan love-fest and shove it right up your non-Indy ass!:p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Neal Hefti's theme tune & George Barris' design for the Batmobile are THE ONLY COOL THINGS about the BatDork character in ANY manifestation!:gun:

Your feelings towards Batman are similar to mine towards Superman. :sick: (Though I'd struggle to find two cool things about Superman!)

Stoo said:
Yes, this thread is an old, CLOSED poll but why DIDN'T it include the 1st Batmans on film?:confused: (The person who started this back in 2006 was obviously clueless.) Why did it take 6 years for the BatDork serials to be mentioned?:confused: What is wrong with you Batman #1/Indiana Jones #2 fans?:confused: The Caped Crusader & his Boy Toy were portrayed on celluloid decades before 1966.:rolleyes:

The '43 and the '49 might arrive today, so look out for another exciting episode in the Cliffhangers thread.

The Bat was a character closely related to the likes of The Spider, and I see them both springing from the same universe as Indy. In that world it's not wrong to dress up like you're always off to a masked ball, or to routinely survive death-defying scrapes by jumping out of an aircraft in a liferaft.

If Indy was Spysmasher, he merely dropped the cape and flying helmet, but he did dress-up for his planned adventures, including his own utility belt.

Willie: So what are you supposed to be, a lion tamer?

Lucas partially 'Nolanized' Spysmasher when he made Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Neither of those worlds work unless you leave a little bit of logic behind before you enter. :p

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Bradford's favourite Batman

Holy citizen's arrest! Caped crusader hands over wanted man to police

'Batman' took a 27-year-old into Trafalgar House police station in Bradford.

Yahoo! News ? 5 hours ago

'Batman' has walked into a police station and handed over a wanted man to officers.

The mystery member of the public dressed as the caped crusader took the 27-year-old into Trafalgar House police station in Bradford.

The wanted man had been sought by police in connection with a number of alleged offences.

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said: "The person who brought the wanted man into the station was dressed in a full Batman outfit.

"His identity, however, remains unknown."

The arrested man was later charged with handling stolen goods and fraud related offences and will appear before magistrates on Friday.

ca1ebebf-d763-44dc-8c43-2402aaabc8ba_batman.jpg

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/batman-han...ord-police-at-trafalgar-house--125431850.html

Dr. Gonzo

The time has come to add one more name to the list of Batman/Bruce Wayne actors

I have given a name to my pain, and it is...
Ben Affleck

Montana Smith

Since Superman's going to be in that film Batman might just as well be played by Jack Black wearing nothing but a Kryptonite G-string.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Ben Affleck

Come come now, hating Affleck in this role is shabby chic. Snyder is the Tarantino of comic book films...right?

Montana Smith said:
Since Superman's going to be in that film Batman might just as well be played by Jack Black wearing nothing but a Kryptonite G-string.

This is the closest thing I could find for that smitty.
Jack-Black-Man-Image-Costume-Hands-646x970.jpg

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
This is the closest thing I could find for that smitty.

I suppose that'll have to do, Horsey. For most of the film Bruce will be hiding inside his tank:

batmantdkr4189thedarkkn.jpg

When the tank can't take any more pounding he'll jump into his anti-Superman suit:

batsuit1.gif

And wait for the inevitable conclusion:

1326243318batmantdkr419.jpg

Lance Quazar

Dr. Gonzo said:
Ben Affleck

It's not 2003-2004 anymore.

Ben Affleck's been killing it as a multi-hyphenate for five years.

He'll be fine. He's earned a big payday.

Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Ben Affleck

Folks I never said I hated this casting decision.
I wast just trying to be clever with Nicholson's line from '89.

I actually really don't have a strong opinion about it at all, one way or the other.

I do believe he's a better director than he is an actor though. :eek:

Montana Smith

If Batman vs. Superman had been an odd couple style rom-com I'd have put money on Hugh Grant.

2NAdKsKO54-2.png

Superman : This is an occasion for genuinely tiny knickers.

Batman: They're nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm wearing something similar myself.

Montana Smith

First world problems!

Has Ben Affleck been sent in to kill off Batman?

Superheroes have had their extrajudicial, secretive ways stolen by the US government and the movie genre's looking moribund

Marina Hyde

The Guardian, Friday 23 August 2013 16.32 BST

Wham-008.jpg

'The American government now openly acts like a superhero.' Illustration: Otto Dettmer for the Guardian

Idea for a superhero movie: America needs rescuing from its superheroes. In a world where the public is menaced by will-this-do superhero movies, one man must save them by torpedoing the entire genre. Ben Affleck stars.

And so to news that the Gigli actor/Oscar-winning Argo director has been cast as Batman for director Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman-Batman mash-up, which has been met with a mostly outraged reaction. Within a few hours, a petition against Warner Bros was doing the rounds of the internet ? and if that doesn't confirm how lame the fight between good and evil has become, then nothing does. "Sock!" "Pow!" "Electronic signature!"

Look, don't get me wrong about Affleck: he seems like a nice guy, and I was made up for him over that business with the Iranian hostage movie and the beardy Oscar and whatnot, even if best picture is an award also recently bestowed upon the likes of Crash and The Hurt Locker (huzzah for movies which dispense with yesteryear concepts like "stories" and "characters anyone could give a toss about"). But before Argo, Affleck had pretty much had to retire from being a frontline movie star because he almost without exception ensured any movie's eternal epithet would be "the Ben Affleck shocker ? ". As far as summoning horrible reviews and hysterical giggles, well, Affleck was like the bat-signal.

Bizarrely, though, the smelling salts were still being called for when news of his emBatment broke on Thursday night, as though the hire is some sort of aberration in the evolution of the American superhero movie, when in fact it is entirely of a piece with the direction of a genre which could really use a transformational event. Maybe it could be unbitten by a spider, or something.

One major problem, unfortunately, is that the US government has stolen all the superheroes' clothes. Not their literal clothes ? the dress code of the White House situation room is still not believed to stipulate capes and pants worn on top of tights. But it has stolen their ideological garments. The American government now openly acts like a superhero. Historically, the thing about superheroes is that they're secretive and extrajudicial ? they are vigilantes, who know you can't trust government, and they dispense swift justice outside the parameters of ordinary law enforcement. (They're always rightwing, obviously.) But these days, even the government appears not to trust the mechanics of the state, given its reliance on extrajudicial solutions ? so you have to think superheroes have ceded their natural territory to the very establishment whose failings were supposed to have made them a necessity. "Special powers" are no longer things like the ability to fly or shoot projectile webs from your finger ? they have become a questionably legal euphemism for the most sinister abuses of the president. Quick, to the Dronemobile! Actually, don't worry: this baby drives itself.

As for where the superhero community goes from here, it's a tough one. Maybe they'll go for the straight role reversal with government, and the plot of Superman/Batman will see the pair put their corrosive partisan bickering behind them, and work together within the apparatus of the state to secure a better America, by small and sensible legislative increments. Say what you like, but I bet even that wouldn't be as unwatchable as Iron Man 2.

And that's the thing: have all those people so surprised and bewildered by the Affleck casting even been to the cinema lately? This is a movie culture that can't even tell the Spider-Man story in less than 136 minutes any more. Its superpower is exhausting audiences into submission. As for Batman's last outing in The Dark Knight Rises, I couldn't have been more excited to see that one on the day it opened last summer, and I couldn't have been more relieved to walk out of it after an hour and 45 minutes, still without the faintest clue what the villain wanted. I understand there was a full hour of the opus left to run, and that ? spoiler coming right on up ? it eventually falls to Catwoman to dispatch the baddie Bane. You know, I don't mean to be a stickler, but I don't go to the movies to watch Batman's girlfriend have to kill his enemies. In fact, I struggle to think of something more emasculating for Batman than that ? and that's before you consider that Catwoman apparently does it for him with a big, phallic rocket.

Honestly, who watches these watchmen? Gazillions, is the somewhat sobering answer ? not that a strong box office should insulate the genre against people being allowed to wonder what it's doing with its life.

Maybe instead of being assembled in different formations ? such as the Marvel Avengers, or Superman and Batman ? American superheroes could benefit from a sort of cultural exchange programme. For my money, Batman should be teamed up with the Burka Avenger. Are you all over the Burka Avenger? She's the fictional superhero who has swooped to popularity in Pakistan. By day, she's a schoolteacher; by night, she's a hijab-masked warrior fighting oppression and extremists who bar girls from seeking education.

Surely Batman's best hope currently is to act as a sort of jaded, post-imperial mentor for this genuinely exciting and subversive figure? Otherwise I can't help feeling that it's only a matter of time before she or her immediate cultural descendants kick his proverbial ass.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/23/ben-affleck-kill-batman-superheroes

Henry Jones VII

those petitions against Ben Affleck as Batman are completely pathetic!

people actually spend time doing that kind of ridiculous nonsense? :sick:

Montana Smith

At the moment Adam West is my favourite.

Having taken a long break from the '66-68 TV series I back on track again and have reached episode 102 of 120. Okay, so the third season isn't so good in terms of cliffhangers (there aren't any yet!) or sets, but the tongue-in-cheek humour and top totty are ever present.

It takes quite an actor to dress like that, and deliver those deadpan lines without cracking a smile!

I've elected Adam West to be my first 1/6 Batman to ward off a horde of Ledger Jokers:

529453_10151620040342344_1378328211_n.jpg

Also effective against rubber sharks:

1235068_10151620040317344_199044038_n.jpg

And of course, he won't be fighting crime alone:

1236567_10151620046612344_1722543274_n.jpg

Montana Smith

Adam West's Batman had the coolest gadgets.

In #119, the penultimate episode, he revealed the Portable Batphone:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PR3ArqBHXXA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>