How about the Indiana Jones pinball machines on gaming consoles?

Sir Galahad

Hi:

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to play the Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure and I loved it. Then on 2008 Stern released a brand new Indiana Jones pinball that was themed after all four films. Unfortunately I never got the chance to play the 2008 version but from what I've seen on Youtube and read online, it was one awesome game. I wanted to share with you some news for pinball fans. FarSight Studios are recreating the most popular pinball tables for the major gaming consoles and other devices. Since they are recreating the most popular pinball games, wouldn't it be a dream come true if we could get both Indiana Jones pinball machines (Stern and Williams)??? Would it be advisable to start a petition for a possible release for both games? If there's someone that "knows someone" ;) to help facilitate the licences that are needed for the games release, it would be a huge help.

Any ideas would be great.

A lot of fans on the Pinball Arcade FB page have asked for either the Stern version, the Williams version or both to be included as DLC for a future release. I would buy both in a heartbeat.

For more details about the game check out The Pinball Arcade official website and their Facebook page.

Have a great weekend.

Supernatural

I would love that, but licensed properties probably won't make it on there.
The most famous licensed pinball machines are Addams Family and T2.
I doubt we'll see those either.

I'm a huge pinball fan and hope to own a few of my own someday.
(both Indy and Lord of the Rings machines.)

The game will most likely include originals like Black Knight, High Speed and Haunted House.

InexorableTash

*cough* VisualPinball *cough* PinMAME *cough*

Anyway...

Yes, this is an excellent idea. It's one of those "how could they not do it?" sorta deals. FarSight does all the work, Williams gets paid for doing nothing, Lucasfilm gets paid for licensing the brand.

Unfortunately, then you toss in the actual cost of the administrative overhead and lawyers between the three companies and it's more likely they'll go with tables that only require a two-way conversation.

*sigh*

Supernatural

InexorableTash said:
*cough* VisualPinball *cough* PinMAME *cough*

I had no idea this existed. I just checked it out and was blown away.

I haven't had any luck with getting Mame to work.
Is this any better? Do you use it yourself?

Sir Galahad

@Supernatural: I'm also a huge pinball fan! The guys at FarSight are trying to get some movie pinballs licences so they can make it to The Pinball Arcade. One of the most requested pinballs is The Addams Family. There's also alot of demand for T2 and the Indy tables. I hope they can work things out getting the licences.

Black Knight is coming as a DLC but there's no release date yet. Alot of people are asking for High Speed. Haunted House is a classic. I'm sure they'll make it sometime down the road. The current plan is to release four tables and then every month they will release a brand new table as DLC.

Visual Pinball and PinMame are awesome. . . that is if the installation works for you. They have tons of real and original tables.

@InexorableTash: Visual Pinball and PinMAME. I use to have them on my old computer until it got a nasty virus. I've tried installing in my new computer but I think I have problems with some of the software that should be installed. Those guys are really talented with their recreations. I really hope we can get the Indy tables for FarSight's TPA sometime in the very near future.

Supernatural

Sir Galahad said:
@Supernatural: I'm also a huge pinball fan! The guys at FarSight are trying to get some movie pinballs licences so they can make it to The Pinball Arcade. One of the most requested pinballs is The Addams Family. There's also alot of demand for T2 and the Indy tables. I hope they can work things out getting the licences.

Black Knight is coming as a DLC but there's no release date yet. Alot of people are asking for High Speed. Haunted House is a classic. I'm sure they'll make it sometime down the road. The current plan is to release four tables and then every month they will release a brand new table as DLC.

Visual Pinball and PinMame are awesome. . . that is if the installation works for you. They have tons of real and original tables.

@InexorableTash: Visual Pinball and PinMAME. I use to have them on my old computer until it got a nasty virus. I've tried installing in my new computer but I think I have problems with some of the software that should be installed. Those guys are really talented with their recreations. I really hope we can get the Indy tables for FarSight's TPA sometime in the very near future.

Is the FarSight project a console or pc game?

And yeah, viruses worry me. Been there.

Sir Galahad

Supernatural said:
Is the FarSight project a console or pc game?

And yeah, viruses worry me. Been there.

It will be released for both console and pc games. The first release will be for consoles and the pc version will be released sometime this year (no specific date).

Supernatural

The Pinball Arcade Review for XBLA, PSN
April 4th, 2012 by Dustin Chadwell

Publisher: Crave Entertainment
Developer: FarSight Studios
Players: 1-2
Online: Yes
ESRB: E

The Pinball Arcade is a new digital platform released this week for XBLA that?s meant to represent actual, real life pinball tables in digital form, developed by FarSight Studios. FarSight has been putting out video game pinball titles for a while now, and were behind the Williams, Bally?s, and Gottlieb collections that were featured on a number of platforms over the past few years. The Pinball Arcade comes off as a culmination of their efforts up to this point, and promises to be a serious contender for the best version of video game pinball you?re likely to ever see.

The initial offering of four tables represents a pretty eclectic mix of fan favorites and curiosities. Tables like Ripley?s Believe it or Not!, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and Theater of Magic are probably going to be more familiar to fans than the fourth table, Black Hole. But all four are represented here in painstakingly accurate detail, right down to their dot matrix displays, sound FX, music, voices, and physics. This release marks the best representation I?ve ever seen of actual pinball tables in video game form, and ensures that The Pinball Arcade has my full support going forward.

Of the four, I?d say that TOTAN and Theater of Magic remain my favorites, helped by the fact that I?ve actually played both tables in real life before. They both feel more akin to modern pinball tables, and because of that I think are better geared to an intermediate player skill, like myself. But Black Hole has certainly managed to capture my attention in this release. It?s the oldest of the bunch, released in 1981, and doesn?t have much in the way of crazy table goals or other objectives found in the busier selections of this release. But it?s incredibly difficult to do well at, and the concept of a lower level section that acts as an upside down pinball table is pretty awesome, and something I?d love to check out for real at some point in my life.

And really, that?s the big draw for this release, and future DLC. Being able to experience tables I?ve never played, and will most likely never have the chance to, is certainly a huge deal. And the fact that FarSight has really nailed down every aspect of these individual tables without seemingly skipping a feature or mechanic, makes this a noteworthy addition to anyone?s digital library of games.

My only small nitpick is that the online leaderboard functionality could be a little more in your face than it currently is. This is one area where Zen Studios excels with their pinball titles, in that you?re constantly chasing the scores of your friends and the top of the leaderboards for every table, because those scores are almost constantly being compared to yours every time you sit down to play. The Pinball Arcade has online leaderboards, of course, but I think burying them in the menu instead of putting them front and center is the wrong way to go.

Besides the loving re-creation of the tables, there are a few other bells and whistles that?ll appeal to the bigger pinball fans out there. Each table includes a scanned image of the flyer that helped sell the tables to arcades around the world, which is fun to see. There?s also a great breakdown explanation of each goal for every table, which maps out what targets need to be triggered and how the goal is performed, including what bonuses are applied by achieving those goals. There?s also a little bit of background information on each table given, which is nice to have for some historical context.

If you have any love for pinball, you should definitely pick up The Pinball Arcade. Its presentation and re-creation of actual pinball tables is second to none, and deserves to be seen and experienced by as many people as possible. I can?t wait to tear into future tables that will be offered as DLC, but as it stands, this release of four will keep me busy for weeks to come. I highly recommend checking it out, and hope fans will support this ambitious venture going forward.

Grade: A

Sir Galahad

Supernatural said:
If this is it, I'm outta luck as I don't have broadband.
Sometimes they release these things on disc.

I was expecting a the game to be released on disc too but apparently there are no plans at this time. I downloaded it on Tuesday and I loved all the tables. I really hope we get at least one of the Indy pinball machines.

Vance

Sir Galahad said:
I was expecting a the game to be released on disc too but apparently there are no plans at this time. I downloaded it on Tuesday and I loved all the tables. I really hope we get at least one of the Indy pinball machines.

I wouldn't expect a disc release until they have enough tables to warrant it. (Most major disc compilations have had around 12 to 20 tables in this line.) Granted, this may not take them all that long at this point, with eight tables out of the gate right now...

Anywho, as for making an Indiana Jones table, I'll put it in the 'unlikely but not impossible' column. They just licensed Twilight Zone, with an incredible kickstarter run, and they're doing Star Trek: The Next Generation as their next one. It might be worth it to get Indiana Jones on their list, though I imagine Star Wars or Simpsons would get the bigger draw in the short term.

Me? I'm still hoping for Cyclone and Bad Cats. :)