Widescreen DVD or Full Screen??

Indy4ever

Advice is needed. Which should I purchase? Which do you think is better? Or, do you favor one over the other?

Thanks!

spohlso

Personally, I always prefer 'widescreen' to 'pan and scan.' You miss too much stuff with the sides chopped off in the so called 'full screen' version.

wolfgang

Its all the same to me. I would buy widescreen, though, I have fullscreen DVDs, they cut a few stukk, plus i sometimes put the subtitles 9 im puerto rican) and fullscreen doesn't necesarely have subtitles

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it makes sense to buy Pan and SCAM if you have a small TV screen. However, if you have 19" or larger "choose wisely" and pick up Widescreen.

ROTLA

WOW!!! I'm not sure I could call it "censorship" but you're definitely not getting the theater version.

By the way, when you start the public flogging of the "Pan and Scam" duo, could also take along the person who invented the grass-catching bag that attaches to lawnmowers?!?

Indy Smith

I think someone is taking it too far. Some people don't like to have it in widescreen because they like the picture to take up the entire space of their 4:3 picture. Although I prefer widescreen I understand that not everyone likes it.

Besides once you're into the movie and watching it you don't realy worry about the missing sides. However with Pan and Scan they don't automatically select the middle and only show that part. If the focus of a shot is to the left of the screen the image would be focussed on there rather than the middle.

Don't get too carried away mate, u might get an ulcer.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Always, always, buy widescreen.

Don't even watch movies on television if they are not in the original aspect ratio.

And has anyone ever seen something like, say Lawrence of Arabia in pan & scan (contemptiously spat out, of course)? You don't want to. It is not the director's vision. The one scene I can think of in particular is the one before the intermission, with Dryden, Brighton, and Allenby walking...the one in the center is always visible, but you can only see the fellow on the left or the bloke on the right...never both at the same time. Of course, on the desert scenes, it's even worse.

So-called fullscreen...don't do it!

Canyon

For myself, I'm going to be buying the films on

<big>W I D E S C R E E N</big>

I agree with Fisk what he said about the fact that you are only getting two thirds of the picure in full screen. I know some people who don't like widescreen because the are distraced by the 'two black bars' above and below the picture, but for me, this has never been a problem because I always get absorbed into a film and don't notice it.

I am also lucky enough to have a widescreen television, and therefore, for me, films in widescreen are great! I think that if people don't have a widescreen tv, they would be inclined to buy the other version as it takes up the whole screen, but at the end of the day, it's everyone's personal opinion. I also agree with Fisk when he says:

"Who ever had the brains to call "Pan & SCAM" FULLSCREEN should be praised for his ingenious marketing scheme."

J

Jedi Daniel

I'd have to say WIDESCREEN for sure since that's the whole purpose of DVD I think. I would never buy a DVD with a Pan Scan transfer.

Canyon

Morsoth said:
Check the comparison here (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade): http://www.widescreen.org/examples/last_crusade/index.shtml
That's interesting.

I remember I bought my first copies of the trilogy between August 1989 and August 1990 and managed to get hold of a box set of the films in widescreen (with the making of Raiders tape) in about 95'. I think it's a real shame that there are so many people who are unaware that they are missing out by watching films in fullscreen. :(

00Kevin

Indyfan
Renderking Fisk said:
Here?s another example of how we?re getting screwed at the outlets.

I was talking to one of the guys who works at the neighborhood ?Outlets? [Three-letter word, hyphen, Four-letter] who told me they figured out a way to get the consumer to buy the same movie? twice.

They regard the average consumer as the under-educated slobs that we are, we don?t read labels and the vast majority of our education comes from gossip, urban legends and rumors. They?re using this to their advantage to squeeze us of every last red cent they can.

There?s going to come a time in the very near future when all Televisions sold will be widescreen plasma or LCD. Those that won?t be plasma or LCD will still be the 9x16 format you see today. The 4x3 that?s being sold today will be the Black & White screens of tomorrow? Even small TV?s sold will be the widescreen format.

You should know that for a motion picture to fill that screen your DVD needs to be the ?Letterbox? or ?Widescreen? edition. When a ?Full Screen? version is played on one of these screens, you get two very LARGE black or blue areas on the side. The back bars on the top annoy you? Just wait to see how annoyed you?ll be when you shell out some big bucks for a State of the Art television and you?re ?Full Screen? DVD isn?t ?Full Screen? any more. Imagine the RAGE you?ll be feeling when you look at the stack of ?Full Screen? DVD?s you bought already, and to see them ?Full Screen? on your ?Widescreen?, you?re going to have to buy them on another format.

Suckers aren?t born everyday; they?re made by the dozen every minute at your local fleecing-mart.

WOW, what a theory

I can't wait for those foolish full-screeners get what's comin' to 'em

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Vishesh

I had a debate with a friend about widescreen and fullscreen. He prefered fullscreen, I prefered widescreen. The thing was that we were debating about a Super 35mm film, which when transfered to fullscreen has extra image on top and bottom and cuts a little bit on the sides. I told him, it's still not what the director wanted, but all he said was that he didn't like the black bars and doesn't care what the director wanted and he did get the fullscreen version. So, even if you do get extra top and bottom on some movies, its still not the theatrical presentation. As for the Indy movies, they were not shot super35mm, so they lose almost 40% of their original presentation, so no fullscreen!

Yolegoman

I prefer widescreen, (Even though we have a square tv) and try to get widescreen movies. I will definitely get The Trilogy on Widescreen Dvd. It looks so much better. I remember seeing the Widescreen edition of Crusade on Sci Fi chanel once... it looked great!

November is coming up fast! Woohoo!

Yolegoman

spohlso

Vishesh said:
but all he said was that he didn't like the black bars and doesn't care what the director wanted and he did get the fullscreen version.

Well, we'll just have to assume that he either isn't planning on keeping his movies forever, or he isn't planning on buying a new TV in the future. The rectangular shape of a movie screen is going to be the standard for TVs soon. All 'fullscreen' videos will have black bars on either side on the TVs of tomorrow. I'm willing to deal with black bars for now (because I'm planning on buying a widescreen TV as soon as the prices drop a little) especially knowing that when I do, I will see everything. For thoses who aren't thinking about the future, you WILL get black bars, but the difference will be, my black bars correct the shape, yours will actually have missing images.