Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Blumburtt

Skipper said:
Sounds like your expectations were too high. Even the critics who gave the movie a bad review seemed to like it more than you, and praised Harrison Ford's performance. Sorry you didn't like it, but I strongly suspect that I'll disagree with you 18 hours from now.

Just been to see a midnight screening and, sorry to say, I was really disappointed. By far the worst of the 4 films. I've always been in favour of them making a new Indy film, but certainly didn't think it would meet all of my expectations - but this was worse than I ever thought it could be. :( Forrestal1972 has got it pretty much spot on I'm afraid - Ford's performance was patchy and Karen Allen was a big disappointment.

I hope you do enjoy it though - don't let other peoples opinions spoil it for you.

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
I've seen this criticism a lot, and I really don't understand it. Did you really feel like Indy was in danger in the original trilogy (especially TOD and LC)? I never did.

The Indiana Jones movies are kind of supposed to be silly, so if you go into the movie expecting a Bourne movie or something, then you're likely to be disappointed.
You're missing the point. When Indy fought the Nazi in the truck in Raider, you really felt he was in over his head and struggling. In TOD, it got a little more slapstick sure and by the time we got to LC, it was action comedy. I never for one second thought Indy would die inthose movies, but there was a realism to the danger he was in. Now, we've got Mut swinging throught the jungle for several hundred metres on a vine like Tarzan with monkeys to help him beat the Russians. Marion has become an expect rally driver and they all survive a trip over the iguazu falls as part of a lame joke. It was action you would expect in Spiderman, not Indy.

Borbarad

I agree with Skipper, I think your expectations "were" too high. You thought Ford underperformed? Even the guys at CHUD gave Ford a bit of credit and then went to rate the movie 3/10. Sorry to see you didn't enjoy it, hope I don't have the same experience.

Skipper

Forrestal1972 said:
I just don't like being told that my expectations were too high by someone who doesn't know me.
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a personal attack or anything. I just mean that most critics thought the movie was decent, and you'd expect an Indy fan to like an Indiana Jones fan more than an objective critic. Thus, the fact that you didn't like it indicates to me that your expectations may have been too high. But I guess you just thought it wasn't a "true" Indy movie or something.

Anyway, hopefully I'll disagree with you!

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
Spiderman got great reviews.
Again missing the point. Spiderman is a great film about a guy with super powers. Ok? Indy is about a human being. Jesus, look, I get it, nothing I say will deter your view. Which is as it should be Skipper. But at least repect the fact that I've seen the movie and you haven't. I genuinely hope you love it to bits. That it becomes your fav Indy movie. I think it sucks.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
I agree with Skipper, I think your expectations "were" too high. You thought Ford underperformed? Even the guys at CHUD gave Ford a bit of credit and then went to rate the movie 3/10. Sorry to see you didn't enjoy it, hope I don't have the same experience.
This is insane. How can you know what my expectations were? Are you using the crystal skull to read my mind. diagree with me if you like, that your right, but don't tell me what my expectations were?

Skipper

Blumburtt said:
Ford's performance was patchy and Karen Allen was a big disappointment.
Yeah, frankly I was never too crazy about bringing Karen Allen back.

Basically, my attitude is this: any Indy movie is better than nothing. I'm not expecting it to be a great movie, but I'm pretty confident that I'll like it because it's Indy.

Borbarad

I suppose you could tell us what you did enjoy? If you didn't enjoy a single moment of the movie then I don't think you should be taken seriously.

Skipper

Forrestal1972 said:
Again missing the point. Spiderman is a great film about a guy with super powers. Ok? Indy is about a human being. Jesus, look, I get it, nothing I say will deter your view. Which is as it should be Skipper. But at least repect the fact that I've seen the movie and you haven't. I genuinely hope you love it to bits. That it becomes your fav Indy movie. I think it sucks.
I understand your point. I just thought it was odd that in criticizing Indy 4, you compared it to a movie that got great reviews. Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
Yeah, frankly I was never too crazy about bringing Karen Allen back.

Basically, my attitude is this: any Indy movie is better than nothing. I'm not expecting it to be a great movie, but I'm pretty confident that I'll like it because it's Indy.
I hope you do Skipper. Don't let any of this influence you. Enjoy it and let me know what you thought of it.

Borbarad

Forrestal1972 said:
This is insane. How can you know what my expectations were? Are you using the crystal skull to read my mind. diagree with me if you like, that your right, but don't tell me what my expectations were?

The fact that the guys at CHUD gave Ford some credit, you know, the guys who are Anti-Indy. You gave Harrison no credit whatsoever, pathetic really.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
I suppose you could tell us what you did enjoy? If you didn't enjoy a single moment of the movie then I don't think you should be taken seriously.
Give me a break. How the hell can I even take your post seriously. That is just a stupid thing to say.

Blumburtt

I really can't see the point in arguing against someone else's opinion on the film,especially when you haven't seen it yourself. Go see it and make up your own mind. What Forrestal1972 or any of the 'professional' critics think of it, shouldn't have any influence on your enjoyment of the film - but it is their opinion, and you can't change that.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
The fact that the guys at CHUD gave Ford some credit, you know, the guys who are Anti-Indy. You gave Harrison no credit whatsoever, pathetic really.[/QUOTE
Look, I am a huge Ford fan so get off my back. I'm entitled to my opinion in this instance so deal with it. Let me ask you: have you seen the movie yet?

Forrestal1972

Blumburtt said:
I really can't see the point in arguing against someone else's opinion on the film,especially when you haven't seen it yourself. Go see it and make up your own mind. What Forrestal1972 or any of the 'professional' critics think of it, shouldn't have any influence on your enjoyment of the film - but it is their opinion, and you can't change that.
Exactly. Well said. Isn't that the point of this board... you know, to express OUR OWN OPINION. To tell me I'm wrong or that I have too high expectations is assinign. It;s just my opinion.

Borbarad

Forrestal1972 said:
Borbarad said:
The fact that the guys at CHUD gave Ford some credit, you know, the guys who are Anti-Indy. You gave Harrison no credit whatsoever, pathetic really.[/QUOTE
Look, I am a huge Ford fan so get off my back. I'm entitled to my opinion in this instance so deal with it. Let me ask you: have you seen the movie yet?

Good. Keep your opinion, I'm not trying to change your mind, just ashamed that the guys at CHUD who are generally Anti-Indy fans gave Ford more credit in this movie than you(a die-hard fan). Not yet, but I'm sure that I will at least find something to enjoy, if not the entire movie itself.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
Forrestal1972 said:
Good. Keep your opinion, I'm not trying to change your mind, just ashamed that the guys at CHUD who are generally Anti-Indy fans gave Ford more credit in this movie than you(a die-hard fan). Not yet, but I'm sure that I will at least find something to enjoy, if not the entire movie itself.
I hope you do. Thats my point. But I won't KEEP my opinion. I'll express it. If someone doesn't like it then they can debate or they can say nothing. That's how this thing works. As for you not trying to change my opinion, I never for one moment thought you were trying to change it. How could you? For starters, it's my opinion. But more importantly you haven't seen it yet. How could someone who hasn't seen the film yet change my opinion or even challenge it? You have nothing to base it on until you see the movie. When you do I will be happy to go point for point with you. However, after you have seen it, remember, you might just agree with me.
By the way, I don't have the first clue what CHUD is besides the name of a mid eighties horror movie I saw when I was a kid.

Forrestal1972

Forrestal1972 said:
Borbarad said:
I hope you do. Thats my point. But I won't KEEP my opinion. I'll express it. If someone doesn't like it then they can debate or they can say nothing. That's how this thing works. As for you not trying to change my opinion, I never for one moment thought you were trying to change it. How could you? For starters, it's my opinion. But more importantly you haven't seen it yet. How could someone who hasn't seen the film yet change my opinion or even challenge it? You have nothing to base it on until you see the movie. When you do I will be happy to go point for point with you. However, after you have seen it, remember, you might just agree with me.
By the way, I don't have the first clue what CHUD is besides the name of a mid eighties horror movie I saw when I was a kid.
And one last thing: you are ashamed? Will you give me a break. What age are you?

Skipper

Forrestal1972, I'm not trying to bait you, I'm just interested in your honest opinion: Why do you think the average movie critic liked the movie more than you did? Obviously, you don't know what's going on inside critics' heads, but it just seems odd to me that the average critic thought the movie was pretty good, yet an Indy fan like you didn't like it.