Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

Crack that whip

I now think I'd like to find out if there are any other differences between different editions of the books. I'd like to see a comprehensive guide to different versions of the various Indy tales, documenting everything from the extensive reconfigurations of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles into The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, to content edits in the licensed publications, like this one.

Anyone here have a set of Indy paperbacks with different-edition duplicates, a scanner with some optical character recognition software, and a lot of free time? :p

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Mine says February 1992, RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4. First edition, fourth printing. It's unembossed and F-bomb free. So, did they catch it before the second printing?

And would someone kindly scan and link to the rude page?

Last edited:

Crack that whip

I don't have a scanner (if I did, I'd probably have planned on doing myself the project I mentioned in my previous post), but I wonder whether I can get a decent pic of a page using my camera. I'll try that later for you, if no one beats me to it with a nice scan.

StoneTriple

Crack that whip said:
Mine has those numbers, but going all the way ("RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"),

That is called a Printer Key.

The lowest number in the sequence is the number of the printing - meaning the number of times they've gone to press. If it is something other than 1, it means they stopped production for a while - such as fulfilling the initial contract. Each time they go back to press, the number changes.

The Edition (not shown above) changes only if the typeset changes. The typeset is the position of the letters on the pages. For the edited version of Deluge, the typeset had to change, so the Edition number changed. If the publisher changes the typeface (font), the Edition would also change.

The letters at the beginning of the key represent the company that did the printing.

[/graphic arts for 22 years nerd mode]

;)

StoneTriple

Moedred said:
Mine says February 1992, RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4. First edition, fourth printing. It's unembossed and F-bomb free. So, did they catch it before the second printing?

And would someone kindly scan and link to the rude page?

I'd be interested in seeing that also. When they changed the text, they should have changed the edition.

Adherence to the standards in a printer key isn't always as strict as it should be. Especially where mass market paperbacks that are contracted out to multiple printing companies are concerned.

indyclone25

these are movie swears ---------------------------------------------
at least in raiders when marion is cleaning indy's wounds she says g-d d-------t
and when the bantu wind is stopped and katanga tells indy that "they have most important friends" indys says "h--y s--t"

and of course in temple of doom the bridge scene indy says oh s--t

Iandiana said:
Ah the expanded universe! How better to destroy something awesome...a real kick in the junk for a fan.

Can't agree more!

On a side note: If you're going off on a tangent...like Mickey D's, at least write how you were swearing at the employees, or cursing them out!

Indy puts on his grubby gear and steps into the shadows, but he never went past a PG vocabulary! (PG13 was for the gore people!)

He always kept one foot in the academic world, and the worst he mustered for the outrage of enslaving/killing innocent children and Short Round, was Bastards...not even f'n bastards. It was edited to maintain character...and as posted before remains memorable for others because it was so out-of-place.

Too many people bringing their own f'd-up bagage to the party!

Iandiana said:
Ah the expanded universe! How better to destroy something awesome...a real kick in the junk for a fan.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still interested in an image of possibly the only use of the F-word in the Lucasverse. You just might be holding a collector's item! Once again:

Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
First edition, first (and second?) printing
February 1992, "RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"
Page 168
Indy: "F--- the Sultans, and f--- you!"

Stoo

Moedred said:
I'm still interested in an image of possibly the only use of the F-word in the Lucasverse.
It's not the only reference, though. Yelling in French, Remy tells the lions to "F*ck off!" in "Phantom Train of Doom"!:eek:

Icybro

Ask and ye shall receive:

GenesisDelugePage168.jpg

Had to crack the spine on my first printing to get this scan; I hope it was worth it! :cool:

Stoo

Thanks a MILLION, Icybro!:hat: I can't believe you cracked the spine. Not having that edition, to me, yes, it was worth it.

I'll try and get a screen grab of the subtitles with Remy and the lions.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Thanks a MILLION, Icybro!:hat: I can't believe you cracked the spine. Not having that edition, to me, yes, it was worth it.

Stoo, I'm ashamed that you would condone violence towards books! Books are our friends. :p (When my dad borrows my books I always try to take the dust jacket off first, to preserve it!) Indy would have something to say on the matter, if I consulted The Last Crusade. ;)

Stoo said:
I'll try and get a screen grab of the subtitles with Remy and the lions.

That was a shocker on first viewing. :eek:

whipwarrior

I know I'm late for the party, but I didn't discover the edits to the Indy novels until I received a few extra galleys copies from Rob several years ago. Not only is there more profanity in the original text, but there are entire scenes removed from the final print editions. In Genesis Deluge, Katrina's dream love sequence is more graphic, and there's a lot of swearing between Indy and Jack before the drive-by shooting at the Shannon residence.

I know, I know; Pics or it didn't happen:

8528016493_101fc1bc85_b.jpg

8528015347_93504a37a4_b.jpg

8529127064_0a83bbd9c3_b.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Changed the title from "Indy swearing," hope you find it accurate and unbiased.

I wonder if MacGregor was just testing his editor?

Moedred said:
Changed the title from "Indy swearing," hope you find it accurate and unbiased.

I wonder if MacGregor was just testing his editor?
The page posted indicates its a proof...but common sense isn't indicated at all.

Its too fantastic to be anything more than a joke...but by whom?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The page posted indicates its a proof...but common sense isn't indicated at all.

Its too fantastic to be anything more than a joke...but by whom?

Sounds like MacGregor was testing Lucas' limits, just to see how far he could go.

The line '"I'm coming", he said. "I'm coming."' is a giveaway that he couldn't have been serious!

Reminds me of those old school French text books with Jean Paul shouting "J'arrive, Marie Claire!"