TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
Gabeed
IndyFan

Yeah, I can handle the few historical inaccuracies as long as the game has the feel of historicity--which it largely succeeds at despite my small gripes above.

Oh, I forgot the thus far unmentioned gripe that Acre completely lacks the cosmopolitan feel of Jerusalem and is almost completely European-looking. That was a bit irksome, but I'm just nitpicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
It's not, and I doubt Eidos could do very little for it, since the series developer is Ubisoft.

Bah, of course, Eidos is the maker of the Thief series, not AC.

Quote:
And heh... who said we couldn't get into a lengthy debate about games without a dedicated video game section?

Gabeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #27
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Quote:
And heh... who said we couldn't get into a lengthy debate about games without a dedicated video game section?

Im still looking for that smilie that isn't smiling with the rolling eyes...
DiscoLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #28
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

How bout this Dead Rising pwns everything... end of debate
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #29
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Just No man. Dead Rising can't touch anything...

Wait you meant 2. Eh... I don't know, but they definately make that look much more appealing than AC3.

Oh and guys.... Fable III in 3 days!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

I meant the series in general part 2 was just amazing.... duel chainsaws + dirt bike = untouchable epicness
Old 10-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #31
DiscoLad
IndyFan

I give it 4 whips out of 5
Old 10-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #32
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
How bout this Dead Rising pwns everything... end of debate

I'd rather play the old-school Resident Evil games.
I'm not a fan of sandbox games with time limits.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #33
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I'd rather play the old-school Resident Evil games.
I'm not a fan of sandbox games with time limits.

I love sandbox but putting a time limit on something the way DR did was such a cut down...
Really did hurt the game...
But Yeah RE4 for life.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #34
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Well sorry the military was coming in 72 hours..... I liked the time limit it made it feel alot more realistic cause you were like oh *** am I gonna make it?!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
Gabeed
IndyFan

The best survival horror game I've played is probably Amnesia: the Dark Descent. It's a game that actually remembers that the "horror" part of "survival horror" is important and doesn't mean just killing zombies with a large array of weapons.
Gabeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #36
Moedred
Administrator

All I can conclude from the film adaption is producer Frank Marshall was nostalgic for his Airbender adaptation and wanted to again make something expensive, pointless and forgettable.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #37
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
All I can conclude from the film adaption is producer Frank Marshall was nostalgic for his Airbender adaptation and wanted to again make something expensive, pointless and forgettable.
If you wish to know why, I just recently broke down the reason for that.

Basically, it's a movie adaptation that's in direct continuity with the game series and entirely faithful to it... and that's why it's nothing to write home about.

The backstory and lore in this particular series is down right asinine. The first game alone had people wondering what was the point of those present-day segments, and since then said backstory has done nothing but jumped a procession of sharks - and nuked a few fridges on top of that, for good measure.

At this point, the whole larger story is nothing but an excuse plot to have the player playing a virtual, albeit more stab-happy-than-usual tourist in whatever city the devs have chosen to recreate in a seemingly randomly selected historical period.

But hey, as long as it lets me do exactly that... I'm game.

Take that away, however, and just leave me to contend with that sorry excuse of a plot, and nothing but... then, well, checking the result out is going to be just a couple of ranks above "having sex with a cheese grater" on my things-to-do list.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #38
Moedred
Administrator

Full disclosure, as a Mason I'm probably not the target audience for this of From Hell. (Sadly The Lost Symbol will never take a different approach on screen.)

Plotwise though, he mostly seeks the MacGuffin in VR, facing no conflict except from the many anti-Assassins who freely roam the complex living at their hosts' great expense. All claims about what the MacGuffin does and what each side wants are purely theoretical. When he gets it, the film abruptly cuts to 15 minutes of credits.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #39
Finn

I haven't seen the film, but I just went and read a plot synopsis on Wikipedia.

First, it's not really VR, it's... complicated.

Second, that MacGuffin really is bad news. The... games... have shown that plenty of times.

Oh, lordy. So, the movie really doesn't even try to be a standalone? In order to make any sense of it, it simply assumes the viewer has played the games... which at this point means six or seven huge open-world titles that can be serious time sinks. Seriously. Even if the lore behind the story wasn't as bad as it is, that'd still be pretty gosh darn infuriating film-making.

I just began to feel plenty sorry for everyone who's seen this in theater and is not a fan of the franchise, for the wasted time and money. And slightly less sorry for those who just saw it somewhere else, for the wasted time. Sounds like this thing should wear a warning label at the top of the titles and on the posters. Something like, "ATTN: Only watch this if you're a fan of the games and have played them all. If you are not, there are better things you can do with this time. Like playing those games. Or having sex with a cheese grater."
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote