What needs to change to make Indy V....

Dr.Jonesy

First off, this is my first post here since I'm new to this board. I've been coming to Theraider.net for years as many of you. I'm only posting this here b/c nobody is on the Indy Trilogies board.

When I walked out of Indy IV, I was so pissed. I could've taken a 2x4 to Lucas' kneecaps. The second viewing (I don't know what made me go back) I came out with a smile. I loved it the second time around b/c my expectations were not sky-high (as they should not have been in the first place) b/c I wasn't expecting another Raider's or Last Crusade. I love it more than Temple of Doom, though. Even though Temple is a kickass film, it's the weakest one. But still awesome.(y)

Now, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a great film, I mean c'mon, they don't make movies like this anymore! But, there are flaws that can be avoided in the future Indy films if there is indeed an Indy V in the works. Of course, no film is without flaws, but they do need to be adressed.
:gun:

Flame me if you want, but I consider Indiana Jones to be a trilogy in a way:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Raiders of the Lost Ark is seperate in terms of greatness and the accomplishing what it was meant to be: a 1930's serial.

The other three, are not as good in accomplishing that. As obvious with Kingdom, which was trying to capture the 1950's B-Movies, which it did magnificantly. But, the camp got a bit too far in some parts and the dialogue got choppy. But that's okay. However, it needs to change in Indy V.

Lucas and Spielberg need to take Crystal Skull as a trial and error piece, to get back into the groove of making these films, and to learn from the errors of this film. I compiled a list of things that need to change in Indy V.

1.) Give Indy his edge back-----------
Indy kind of lost his edge a bit in terms of getting pissed and kicking ass:whip: And in Kingdom he wasn't so much the star of the show in terms of action. Mutt kind of took the spotlight in terms of the action scenes, paticularly in the jungle chase. Indy should still be erratic and impulsive at times and kick the most ass out of all the characters. I just get the vibe he lost it this film.

2.) Get rid of bad dialogue-----------
Some lines in Kingdom are cringe-worthy. There's no denying that. The scene where Indy tries to explain the quick sand is just bad, and corny. Or the "They weren't you, honey." or the "This is intolerable!" were just bad. Lines like these should never make the final cut.

3.) Very bad, campy scenes need to be GONE!---------------
The monkeys know what I mean! Oh, that infamous Tarzan sequence...that will forever live in infamy...:sick:

Please leave out the monkey swinging, snake and sand pit scenes, bad dialogue between family members, and cheesey one liners.

4.) Action need not be so over the top---------
I mean: the driving off a cliff and safely landing on a tree and into a river, surviving 3 waterfalls, sword fighting on two jeeps on a bumpy road, spread eagled on two jeeps while still fighting, how the Indy trio didn't get sliced in two by the flying blade is beyond me.

5.) Not so much comedy-----------
After Raiders, the last 3 films have been plagued with comedy that wasn't that prominant in Raiders. If you love the comedy, then that's cool. But it needs to have the wit and humor in the way it is written rather than have unneccesary comedy and one liners. I just want the series to go right back to basics and not try to be funny but rather have a wit and flavor.

6.) Better story!-----------
The story in Crystal Skull would have worked, but it wasn't presented properly. They could have fleshed out Indy and Mac's relationship or Indy and Mutt. Also, the artifact needs to be shrouded in mystery and intrique, which I felt was missing. They could have done so much more with this McGuffin, but they didn't. This story could've been great! But it lacks in some ways.

7.) Make Indy work alone!---------
After the camp scene, there was a total of 5 people in the Indy clan. This became a clutter of characters. Indy needs to work alone for the most part, and maybe get a hand now and then. Make Indy fly it solo for the most part and don't clutter characters. Near the end, it just felt weird with everyone with Indy. It was almost like Indy was some sort of tour guide.:confused:

Overall, these problems can be fixed with a great, new script. I just believe they should take things back to what made Raider's one of the greatest films of all time. Make it a play on the 1930's serials, have an amazing story/script, be based in reality with the supernatural and far fetched be left for the artifact and not with the action, and overall make it an edgy, quick and dirty adventure film with cinematic substance. I just couldn't see that with the other 3, whereas I could see that in Raiders.

We don't need the cheesey comedy/one liners, or the over the top action, we just need an edgy action/adventure film with the Indiana Jones character in it. Indy V needs to be edgier, mysterious, and have wit and charm and not so much campy humor.

Overall, Indy IV was great, I loved it. It reminds me of the Last Crusade, only more daring. Indy IV was the most daring of all the films and that's what's great about it. It added Alien's, 1950's, ect.... and for many it worked!

But, I just think Indy V should take the route that would make it a brother to Raider's and have it have the same tone and style.

And the Indy IV haters need to go away
:gun:

Last edited:

MaverickKing

Dr Jonesy, I like you.

I agree with most of your points. Indy had an edge - the guy who would do almost anything to save the girl and the relic, but the girl came first - which was lost later on. I HATE Shia LaBeouf - he has even less edge.

Bad dialogue is a problem in most George Lucas works nowadays, but I would've thought David Koepp and Jeff Nathanson - who have both done masterpieces - should have kept the cringe-worthy stuff to a minimum.

The camp probably would have been included by Lucas to appeal to family audiences - but sadly it just makes the majority of people grimace. Same with the OTT action (though sword fighting on two jeeps on a bumpy road is nifty).

The story in Indy IV had good ideas but they didn't fit into a coherent whole. Frank Darabont's script, City of God, was so much better. It made sense (in a way), it was funny, it was thrilling, and it had good old-fashioned Indy/Marion interplay. DAMN YOU LUCAS!

Indy V may be a possibility, but I hope they don't make one. Learn when to leave something alone, Lucas.

The Man

Lucas' involvement should be restricted. Of course, it won't be, but it should. He could pitch in with general ideas and finance...but enough of this farcical pass-the-parcel scriptwriting. Why bring in six or seven people to work on a story which is ultimately unworkable? What shall the next McGuffin be? A fish-finger?

And no more Mutt. He's an ass...

arkfinder

Mutt didn't hurt Indy IV. What did is the fact that Lucas always has to have a "kiddy" moment in his films. Like oh take for expamle um swinging in a tree with monkeys.

I thought well this would be fun to see if I was 5. But, I'm not and that shot brought the movie down to a 7 out of 10 for me.

As far as Indy having an "edge." He's much older I think that time has kicked him some. I love the line "Henry, I think we're at the point where life stops giving and starts taking."

Now in Indy 5 I would like to see a little more grit. But, keep it reasonable. Indy is older don't make it over the top.

caats

yah I'd like more grit. but i wouldn't mind Mutt being in it. Cuz there'd need to be some sort of love interest, so they could give it to mutt. and the movie needs youth.

The Man

caats said:
Cuz there'd need to be some sort of love interest, so they could give it to mutt.

monkey_girl.jpg

"Me love Mutt. Mutt nice butt..."

Dr.Jonesy

I don't think Indy would be a goofy old man. I wanted him to be a grumpy, bitter old man who became that way from spending too many years alone.

He was that way a bit in Darabont's screenplay.

Dr.Jonesy said:
1.) Give Indy his edge back-----------
Indy kind of lost his edge a bit in terms of getting pissed and kicking ass:whip: And in Kingdom he wasn't so much the star of the show in terms of action. Mutt kind of took the spotlight in terms of the action scenes, paticularly in the jungle chase. Indy should still be erratic and impulsive at times and kick the most ass out of all the characters. I just get the vibe he lost it this film.

2.) Get rid of bad dialogue-----------
Some lines in Kingdom are cringe-worthy. There's no denying that. The scene where Indy tries to explain the quick sand is just bad, and corny. Or the "They weren't you, honey." or the "This is intolerable!" were just bad. Lines like these should never make the final cut.

3.) Very bad, campy scenes need to be GONE!---------------
The monkeys know what I mean! Oh, that infamous Tarzan sequence...that will forever live in infamy...:sick:

Please leave out the monkey swinging, snake and sand pit scenes, bad dialogue between family members, and cheesey one liners.

4.) Action need not be so over the top---------
I mean: the driving off a cliff and safely landing on a tree and into a river, surviving 3 waterfalls, sword fighting on two jeeps on a bumpy road, spread eagled on two jeeps while still fighting, how the Indy trio didn't get sliced in two by the flying blade is beyond me.

5.) Not so much comedy-----------
After Raiders, the last 3 films have been plagued with comedy that wasn't that prominant in Raiders. If you love the comedy, then that's cool. But it needs to have the wit and humor in the way it is written rather than have unneccesary comedy and one liners. I just want the series to go right back to basics and not try to be funny but rather have a wit and flavor.

6.) Better story!-----------
The story in Crystal Skull would have worked, but it wasn't presented properly. They could have fleshed out Indy and Mac's relationship or Indy and Mutt. Also, the artifact needs to be shrouded in mystery and intrique, which I felt was missing. They could have done so much more with this McGuffin, but they didn't. This story could've been great! But it lacks in some ways.

7.) Make Indy work alone!---------
After the camp scene, there was a total of 5 people in the Indy clan. This became a clutter of characters. Indy needs to work alone for the most part, and maybe get a hand now and then. Make Indy fly it solo for the most part and don't clutter characters. Near the end, it just felt weird with everyone with Indy. It was almost like Indy was some sort of tour guide.:confused::

8.) Use far less CGI. :sick:

9.) New younger actor should play Indiana Jones.

10.) Don't let Janusz Kaminski near the camera.

11.) No Mutt. :eek:

12.) Keep George Lucas and David Koepp out of it. :dead:

The Man

kongisking said:
Oh, shut the hell up. Enough with the Shia Hate. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And this was absolutely despicable. Cruel humor of the lowest kind. Shameless, Man...

Unless you are Shia LaBeouf, you've been taking all this far too seriously of late...

Raiders90

kongisking said:
Oh, shut the hell up. Enough with the Shia Hate. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And this was absolutely despicable. Cruel humor of the lowest kind. Shameless, Man...

There's a lot of people here like The Man, people who like whatever CHUD tells them to like and who really aren't Indy fans.

The Man

Raiders112390 said:
There's a lot of people here like The Man, people who like whatever CHUD tells them to like and who really aren't Indy fans.

What is it you and your obsession with C.H.U.D? I hit that site for information, not opinion. Oh, and dismissing Skull makes me no less a fan of Indy than...oh, screw it - this argument died sometime last year...

The Man

kongisking said:
No, I'm just sick of your snide attitude towards anything KOTCS-related. (n)

Kong, these posts you're referring to are months old. I rarely even comment on that movie anymore. Perhaps we should both move on...

In short: I AM NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH YOU. GOODNIGHT.