Sony Pictures -- HACKED!!!!

Hope...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873769/Sony-chair-Amy-Pascal-fired-embarrassing-offensive-emails-revealed-hack.html
"Shut this off, shut these all off."
walter_peck_shutitoff.jpg

Last edited:

TheFedora

So apparently, Sony canceled the Interview altogether, and US officials are saying North Korea was behind this. We all kind of knew this...but its scary how an entire film got pulled because of terrorists.

We should all join together as a nation in watching pirated copies of "the Interview" on a set date, at a set time.

**** North Korea, and **** Sony.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFedora said:
So apparently, Sony canceled the Interview altogether, and US officials are saying North Korea was behind this. We all kind of knew this...but its scary how an entire film got pulled because of terrorists.

The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Whoops wrong thread.

Gear

TheFedora said:
[?] and US officials are saying North Korea was behind this. We all kind of knew this...

No we don't. It's a conclusion you're coming to reinforced by what you hear government officials barf out. C'mon, North Korea did it?... Maybe, but don't be a tool.

TheFedora said:
but its scary how an entire film got pulled because of terrorists.

What Would Cheney Do?

I know, not cool.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gear said:
No we don't. It's a conclusion you're coming to reinforced by what you hear government officials barf out. C'mon, North Korea did it?... Maybe, but don't be a tool.

I know, not cool.

Like I said earlier: it feels like petulant children especially with a month of character assassinations and privacy violations. Then all of the sudden: 9/11.

Terrorists. I guess the 'war' for oil worked. Gas is at an all time low. We need a new war to fund the military complex, right?

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't put it past social engineer to create anything simpler.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Dr. Gonzo, (and the other Raveners who work tinsel town) how has this affected your work?

Things have gone from very tongue and cheek/Jokey to quite serious in the past 72 hours... I know of 2 other films that were in prep that have been shut down/delayed because of whats been happening. One was Gore Verbinski's next film. And word on the street is Pascal is about to get fired.

So a lot of people are walking on egg shells here.

roundshort

I love how people are bagging on Sony Pictures. This was a pretty low budget comedy with a medium budget marketing campaign. They were not predicating the numbers to be that high. There is no WAY Sony would had budgeted the amount of free publicity this movie has now received. I am sure many more people will want to see this movie that before the hacking and this pulling of the movie!

Stoo

Finn said:
First of all, the proper term is "cracker". People who call 'em "hackers" show their actual knowledge of the subject right there and then. Which is next to none.
If that's the case, you should rename this thread as: Sony Pictures -- CRACKED!!!!
TheFedora said:
...its scary how an entire film got pulled because of terrorists.
Oh, no! A Hollywood movie didn't get a theatrical release! That is so scary!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: As Gear Guardian said, don't be a tool. In a few months time you'll be gleefully watching "The Interview" via some twitty tweet link...or as a legit, straight-to-DVD flick in the comfort of your own home.
roundshort said:
There is no WAY Sony would had budgeted the amount of free publicity this movie has now received. I am sure many more people will want to see this movie that before the hacking and this pulling of the movie!
Too right!(y) This situation is an adverti$ing dreamboat.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
I love how people are bagging on Sony Pictures. This was a pretty low budget comedy with a medium budget marketing campaign. They were not predicating the numbers to be that high. There is no WAY Sony would had budgeted the amount of free publicity this movie has now received. I am sure many more people will want to see this movie that before the hacking and this pulling of the movie!

Exactly. And given said medium budget, the studio probably had a commensurate liability policy on their principles. None high enough to cover the loss of life due to public outrage (ie a bomb at a showing). Sure the profits are there, now they just have to play the economic waiting game.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
If that's the case, you should rename this thread as: Sony Pictures -- CRACKED!!!!
Nah, the act of manipulating software, even when the aim is malicious, is still considered "hacking". A person who does it in the intent of causing harm is a cracker. One who does so simply for no gain or even a beneficial effect is a hacker.

It can be pretty confusing, I know. Also, it often is a matter of POV. An act one finds beneficial may be considered malicious by another. Like stripping copy protections, for example.

However, kong was clearly implying these "hackers" were up to no good. So he was, plain and simple, messing up the terminology.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
None high enough to cover the loss of life due to public outrage (ie a bomb at a showing).

Nor enough for the financial reserve Sony will have to set aside to deal with all the claims arising from the data breach.

Sony's 2011 losses from the playstation hack were $171 according to this report:

http://jeffreycarr.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-latest-sony-breach-and-its.html

I can only imagine what the reserves and ultimate losses will be here. It's no wonder Sony has hired one of my least favorite lawyers to beat down all uses of the spilt data.

Cue the Amy Pascal resignation announcement. . . . . Can't let thuggish boors like the Seth Rogan's of the world run you over.

TheFedora

Stoo said:
Oh, no! A Hollywood movie didn't get a theatrical release! That is so scary!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: As Gear Guardian said, don't be a tool. In a few months time you'll be gleefully watching "The Interview" via some twitty tweet link...or as a legit, straight-to-DVD flick in the comfort of your own home.
Too right!(y) This situation is an adverti$ing dreamboat.

Well, to be more accurate, the hackers were threatening terrorist attacks at movie theaters, which was why it was pulled. THAT is the scary part. In addition, Sony said there are no release plans for it ever, so no dvd, no video on demand...no anything.

kongisking

Finn said:
Nah, the act of manipulating software, even when the aim is malicious, is still considered "hacking". A person who does it in the intent of causing harm is a cracker. One who does so simply for no gain or even a beneficial effect is a hacker.

It can be pretty confusing, I know. Also, it often is a matter of POV. An act one finds beneficial may be considered malicious by another. Like stripping copy protections, for example.

However, kong was clearly implying these "hackers" were up to no good. So he was, plain and simple, messing up the terminology.

Kongisking grumpily adds to "Mess Ups" list...then realizes he's run out of paper in the house for the third time in a week.

Finn

Staff member
TheFedora said:
They also want trailers taken down and 'everything related to the movie'...do they have a conception as to how the internet works?
Well, that IS the way it works... in PRK and China.