U2

Is the Miracle (of Joey Ramone) a miracle?

• Love it. Steve Jobs gives it two thumbs up from the grave!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Love it. Huge U2 fan. They can do no wrong.

• Hate it. Sharon Osbourne is my mom.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it. You call that a tribute to a punk icon? Seriously?

• Total voters

Joe Brody

All you gotta do is listen to Magnificent and then listen to A sort of homecoming.

Which song has more of a pulse?

Time again for sick boy's unifying theory of life. . . .

Deadlock

What I can't figure is why Edge has been on such a short leash lately... As far as I'm concerned, the only sign of life from him on No Line was Breathe.

metalinvader

Joe Brody said:
All you gotta do is listen to Magnificent and then listen to A sort of homecoming.

I don't know what you are trying to prove but..

Magnificent for me.But,I was never really that crazy about A sort of homecoming anyways...

Last edited:

Joe Brody

metalinvader said:
I don't know what you are trying to prove but..

Just expressing an opinion. A Sort of Homecoming isn't the greatest song but a least it's sincere. On the other hand Magnificent has a nice rift . . . but the emotional pull of a Pottery Barn catalog.

Deadlock said:
What I can't figure is why Edge has been on such a short leash lately... As far as I'm concerned, the only sign of life from him on No Line was Breathe.

He traded his mojo to halt the aging process.

Joe Brody

Apple, U2 & The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)

Just curious as to the prevailing attitude here is at the Raven -- bit of a litmus test really.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Other.

Standard U2 pop song, middleing at best. It's hardly ground breaking but it's true to the bands work. Is it a miracle? Hardly. It's no "...Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" if that's what Bono was hoping.

P.S. I don't have ITunes.

jsarino

Meh, I didn't care for it. If they really want to do a tribute, a more punk rock-style song would've been better.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Joe Brody

Moedred said:
I'm glad to have followed a band that didn't flame out. I saw the Ramones in college on their farewell tour and was not impressed. I understand some of them had one foot in the grave, but Joey fell silent for long stretches and relied on backup vocals.

I got luckier than you with the Ramones but I know what you're talking about.

I had to work hard to let go of a grudge that I held for years against Billy Bragg. First couple of times I saw him was in Pittsburgh in the late '80's he gave great, great performances. . . Then years later I caught him in New York City and it was awful. He was clearly out of sorts and bitter about something. Anyway, that show ruined his music for me for years.

Anyway, back to U2 the Miracle --thanks for linking the poll to this thread because it made me go back and read it:

Chorus from the Miracle (U2 singing about the Ramones):
I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred
Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
Everything I ever lost now has been returned
The most beautiful sound I ever heard

Joe Brody in 2004 on U2 said:
Early U2, with songs dealing with the Troubles in Ireland and the Solidarity Movement in Poland, was a real awakening for me -- a young kid in the early '80's who was just starting to figure things out in the world. I remember listening to 'New Years Day' and it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. The piano was haunting and the video -- with the WWI film clips and the band on horseback with the White Flag -- really resonated with this fan of Indiana Jones and Warren Beatty's Reds. [...] [T]heir message always set them apart.

Small coincidence but cool.

roundshort

The Ramones were by far my favorite live band. I think I saw them almost 20 times following them like dead heads followed the Dead.

I have no issue to the tribute - it is like everything else U2 has done for the last 15 years more about PR than music.

I could be wrong, but I think in the video they flash an image of Tommy playing the drums while U2's drummer does a drum roll. Of course you know Tommy was not much of a drum roll guy and used them early. He was actually really not much into being a drummer, hence him leaving the band to take over managing them.

INDY36

20 years later I still love U2 just as much. 'Gloria' is still my favorite U2 song. It was when they were still new, and young, and not yet corrupted by ...I don't know...whatever corrupted them....as corrupted as any other successful bands in that time....I don't know...maybe Hollywood, and all that that entails.

But I still remember putting that wonderful 'record' on to my 'turntable' in my room and rocking out to U2 in the early eighties, and knowing that I had discovered...well I guess along with the rest of the world....a GREAT Band.

IndyBuff

For the better part of 15 years U2 was easily my favorite band. I'm still a big fan, yet I wouldn't put them at the top anymore (Radiohead managed to take that spot). It seems these days they're more interesting in looking back than moving forward, becoming more of a nostalgia act than a creative tour de force like they used to be. I suppose that happens to many artists, especially those who have been going as long as U2 has, but that was something they always seemed intent on fighting. Now they just embrace it, which is confusing but it's easy money.

I'm sure the Sphere is an amazing show but it reminds me more of something from a theme park attraction. The band is secondary and without Larry there it just feels "off". Here's hoping they're able to churn out a new album and wow us again the near future.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The band is secondary and without Larry there it just feels "off". Here's hoping they're able to churn out a new album and wow us again the near future.
Bono writes towards the end of his memoir Surrender (an excellent audiobook) that the best albums come from the greatest conflict with his bandmembers, and (I'm paraphrasing here) he's not sure he wants to continue to put them through that. The last album of original material was 2017.

After Bono's health issues last decade, culminating with an aortic aneurysm in 2016, he seems content with their oeuvre.