TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
The Tomb of Sir Richard

Check this out:

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.a...001027,00.html
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
More sensless glory seaking by association....

"This discovery is the equivalent of the Holy Grail to archaeologists and historians. It is unparalleled."

Except that the "Holy Grail" is FICTION...

Just like The Da Vinci Code
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond

Except that the "Holy Grail" is FICTION...

Just like The Da Vinci Code

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

We need to have a drink sometime...you with your Seagrams, me with my warm milk.

Sorry, you prefer mead, right?
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
IrishLuck1980
IndyFan
 
IrishLuck1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 380
The link is no longer active. Sir Richard? As in King Richard the Lionheart?
IrishLuck1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
No...like 'the knight under the Venice library' Sir Richard...
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
"The Holy Grail" is fiction.

It's an invention.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
HovitosKing
IndyFan
 
HovitosKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,513
The link is gone. Would someone mind paraphrasing or summarizing its content?
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
Maybe this guy?
http://www.stmarymags.org.uk/church/burton_tomb.html
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
The link was to a report of the finding of a Templar's tomb. No relation to the Grail. And, yes CH, I know the Grail's an invention. Sir Richard's an invention. The title was part-attention-getter, part-jest. **sheesh!**
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
"Sir Richard's an invention"

Not according to the link above.... :-)

"I know the Grail's an invention."
One can never be sure with 'your kind'... you folks'll believe anything it seems... Heh
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
"I know the Grail's an invention."
One can never be sure with 'your kind'... you folks'll believe anything it seems... Heh
Yeah, us wacky Christians...next thing ya know, we'll be screamin' that 4.6 billion years ago it rained on the rocks, creating a macromolecule that eventually became a tadpole or some crazy thing like that.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
We can hope eh....
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
We can hope eh....
An exercise in futility, mein fruend...
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
I could never close my mind to the possibility of new evidence changing what we think we already knew....

But it's your choice if you can
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
I could never close my mind to the possibility of new evidence changing what we think we already knew....

But it's your choice if you can
Close-mindedness being open to subjective interpretation, CH...

I've said it and will probably have to repeat myself, evolution is just as much a faith as any other...in my opinion, a Designer is a lot less of a stretch than a cosmic coincidence.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
"evolution is just as much a faith as any other..."

Evolution is as much a fact as gravity, or magnetic attraction, or electrons flowing through a filliment causing light and heat....

Anybody who thinks it's a 'faith' knows nothing, or little about it.

Read some Richard Dawkins.... That'd be a good place for you to start.... That is, if you're not too close-minded.....

It's no skin off my nose one way or the other Doc S....
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
[quote=ClintonHammond]

Anybody who thinks it's a 'faith' knows nothing, or little about it.
QUOTE]Right...and I'm closed-minded.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
Only because you've chosen to be
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
Evolution is as much a fact as gravity
Go all the way man! Call it a law of science!
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #20
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
Only because you've chosen to be


For being a mod, this is probably not completely appropriate, so bear in mind this comes from my personal side. I'm not deliberately trying to steer the topic away from Sir Richard.

Clinton, are you and atheist? And if so, why? I am asking because I have a friend who is, (though I believe differently) and he uses such trivial and uneducated answers like "Lots of murders have been commited in the name of God" and "how can we trust a book written over 2000 years ago" and other sheepish arguments in the same vein.

You CH seem to argue the evolutionist side of the debate well, at least from an educated stance...(and Doc and I can be on opposite sides of that stage). It made me respect your position more then that of my 20 year friendship, though sometimes your retorts are a bit gritty.

I'll blame that on the language barrier.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #21
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
You CH seem to argue the evolutionist side of the debate well, at least from an educated stance...

CH is very erudite. He defends his position well, and is a master of citation. He just has faulty information...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
(and Doc and I can be on opposite sides of that stage).

You oughtta see my newest acquisition, Thanatos. My better half got me an archaeological study bible for Christmas. With over 800 pages of study notes, I'm enthralled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
It made me respect your position more then that of my 20 year friendship, though sometimes your retorts are a bit gritty.

I'll blame that on the language barrier.
Nah, he's just a Canuck curmudgeon... (that's a joke, before all the accusations of jingoism start flying...)
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
"Clinton, are you and atheist? And if so, why?"
I guess I am... and as for why, there's no evidence to support the existance of any diety, and plenty of evidence against it...

One of the best pieces of evidence against there being any kind of 'god' is religion itself.... and the people who follow them.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #23
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
One of the best pieces of evidence against there being any kind of 'god' is religion itself.... and the people who follow them.
Care to elaborate?
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #24
ClintonHammond
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,237
I'll let you do it for me.... Like your silence when faced with the overwelming evidence against your 'interpretation' that there was a global flood at some point in our planets recent past.... You claim to be open-minded, but you have yet to read it, or comment on it....

Which is par-for-the-course when it comes to religious people...

On the otherhand, I've seen your so-called evidence, and was easily able to punch it so full of holes that it held no water at all...
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #25
Doc Savage
IndyFan
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 86th Floor...
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
I'll let you do it for me.... Like your silence when faced with the overwelming evidence against your 'interpretation' that there was a global flood at some point in our planets recent past.... You claim to be open-minded, but you have yet to read it, or comment on it....

Which is par-for-the-course when it comes to religious people...

On the otherhand, I've seen your so-called evidence, and was easily able to punch it so full of holes that it held no water at all...
Incorrect assessment...I quit posting because everybody and their mother was up in arms about the discussion. To clarify a point, CH, I have no problem discussing anything. When people decide to insult and imply rather than civlly conversate, count me out. I know no one on this forum well enough to put up with such puerile nonsense. The holes you "punched" are based on nothing more than dogged adherence to a THEORY that you've chosen to espouse...some as me. The difference is I choose to admit that mine's an issue of faith.

As to your propagandist reference to religious people, it sounds more like personal bitterness than a well-though-out statement...a surprising thing comin from you. I noticed in a post of your's on another thread a reference to astrology and Beltane...should I deride you for belief in something that you would define in me as 'belief in the invisible, intangible, and unproveable?'

I respect your adherence to, knowledge of, and iteration of your opinions, but to label anyone in the way you've chosen is nothing less than bigotry.
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.