TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #51
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieAki
(I am not going to put what I believe down because it ties into my religious beliefs, which have little, if no place in this debate.)

I personally am the sort who has no problem with religion in and of itself, but you deserve some serious props for this statement.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #52
ClintonHammond

"I would also recommend wiking "full moon" or "lunar cycle"."

I'd recommend you read a medical text on menstrual cycles....

Wiki isn't a bad place to start as a research tool, but let's not pretend it's more than it is.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #53
eazybox
IndyFan

I have no ax to grind either for or against astrology, but I did work as a writer/editor for the famous astrologer Noel Tyl in 1975-'76. He was no charlatan and had no need to be, having a second career as a very successful opera singer.

I saw him and other astrologers at work firsthand and gained an enduring respect and admiration for them. Their goal in life was to help people solve their problems, and they were highly succesful at it.

There are many fraudulent practitioners who will take advantage of the gullible, but the astrologers I knew were not among them; they were sincere and passionately committed to their craft.

Astrology is really more of an art than a science, though-- scientists will tell you it can't possibly work because the planets are too far away, but that doesn't change the fact that it does work-- as anyone who takes the time to study the subject fairly and objectively can find out for themselves.

No one knows why it works, but it seems to have less to do with the proximity of the planets than their alignment into certain patterns that repeat themselves over time-- as though the universe is a kind of enormous clockwork.

Jung called this "synchronicity" and used astrology in his practice. Some modern psychologists also use the natal chart as a shortcut to understanding the character and the complexes of their patients. If it wasn't an accurate tool, they wouldn't keep using it.

Astrology can alert a person to certain conditions that will prevail in future times and help them prepare for and respond to these conditions; but predicting the future with precision is largely a pop culture parlor game best suited for newspaper daily horoscopes. It has little to do with serious astrology.

There are many excellent books on this subject for those interested, including Tyl's "The Horoscope As Identity" and his 12 volume syllabus, "The Principles and Practice of Astrology;" "Heaven Knows What", a popular classic by Grant Lewi; and the erudite "Astrology and Personality" by Dane Rudhyar.

Jack
eazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #54
ClintonHammond

"Astrology is really more of an art than a science"
Astrology is a load of hogwash... a way to dupe poor, dumb, desperate people out of their hard earned cash.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #55
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
Astrology is a load of hogwash... a way to dupe poor, dumb, desperate people out of their hard earned cash.

here here! ... or uhh... hear hear?
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #56
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:

There is a lot of unfair hostility toward the subject from people who don't really know what they're talking about because they haven't studied it for themselves. I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative), read a few of the better books on the subject, and changed his mind completely.

Please don't just parrot what most people think-- about this or any other subject-- without finding out for yourself. If you have done this and still feel the way you do, that's fine-- no argument. I'm just suggesting that you be fair.

Jack

Last edited by eazybox : 09-10-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #57
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox
There is a lot of unfair hostility toward the subject from people who don't really know what they're talking about because they haven't studied it for themselves. I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative), read a few of the better books on the subject, and changed his mind completely.

Please don't just parrot what most people think-- about this or any other subject-- without finding out for yourself. If you have done this and still feel the way you do, that's fine-- no argument. I'm just suggesting that you be fair.

Jack

By the way, my friend was a science major.

Jack
Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #58
chapter11
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox
I had a friend who started out as skeptical as you (though not nearly as hostile or negative)...

Don't take it personally, Jack. He's like that with just about everyone around here.
chapter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #59
ClintonHammond

"my friend was a science major"
If he believes in astrology, your friend is an idiot.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #60
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11
Don't take it personally, Jack. He's like that with just about everyone around here.

Thanks-- doesn't bother me.

Jack
Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #61
monkey

2012.......is that It??

I know that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012.

I know also that Nostradamus hinted that 2012 would be the end of days.

So what do you think?

Is 2012 IT?

If so, what are you doing to get ready?

Will the world really end? And what does that mean?

(Were the Mayans actually dyslexic? and did they really mean 2102? or 2201?)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #62
The_Raiders
IndyFan

If the rapture doesn't happen before that 2012 will come and go just as years before it.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #63
No Ticket
IndyFan

Well if it's the end, it's the end. At least they made Kingdom of the Crystal Skull before it was too late! haha.

I don't think anything is going to happen in 2012. I think a lot of superstitious people are going to be pretty scared that whole year wondering if something is going to happen or not.

It's entirely possible even if you don't believe. The end could happen at any time. After all, everything that had a beginning has an end. Except God. If you believe in that sort of thing.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #64
The_Raiders
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
Well if it's the end, it's the end. At least they made Kingdom of the Crystal Skull before it was too late! haha.

I don't think anything is going to happen in 2012. I think a lot of superstitious people are going to be pretty scared that whole year wondering if something is going to happen or not.

It's entirely possible even if you don't believe. The end could happen at any time. After all, everything that had a beginning has an end. Except God. If you believe in that sort of thing.

Yes I beleive every biblical, and Goldly thing But the rapture could happen any time so any year couls be the last. But if Jesus tarys His coming than (like I said) 2012 will come and go just as others have.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #65
Kingsley
IndyFan

For every year it seems to be a Nostradamus prediction... how many where wrong, how many right, to take it serious? Ambiguity can be a dirty game.

As for an end of the world... I can't even imagine the extension of such an idea. If no one will be there to "feel" the time passing and think about it, well, it's like the lonely tree falling in the forest... does it make any noise?

An REM song comes to my mind
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #66
metalinvader
IndyFan

Nostradamus was really a bad poet with paranoia...

As for 2012..I'm open to the idea.I've researched alot of the predictions.It wasn't just the Mayan's,It's also the Native Americans who claimed that the earth would get its revenge around this time.If anything will happen it will be weather related such as a tsunami,Earthquake...etc...
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #67
No Ticket
IndyFan

It doesn't matter if the world is going to end in 2012 or not. Your days are already numbered. It's best to just assume every one could be your last. Even if it doesn't mean the end of the world. It could still be the end of YOUR world. Ya know?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #68
ResidentAlien

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...highlight=2012
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #69
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien

lol. This sure has been happening a lot lately it seems.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #70
Kingsley
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
That thread includes the ClintonHammond bonus, LOL

Quote:
"our bodys are effected by the celestial objects"
Only if they land on you.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #71
Deckard
IndyFan

I think it will be another Y2k bunch of crap.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #72
indy34
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
I think it will be another Y2k bunch of crap.
I was just thinking the same thing
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #73
herr gruber

I've already stored away tins of baked beans and a bottle of Dr. Pepper. (The one with Indy on it). Something to look at.

Remember, in a catastrophe such as nuclear attack or asteroid explosion it is vital to crouch down and put a handkerchief over your head. Heed this and live.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #74
JayDee
IndyFan

i dont think that the world will end there, but i hope the "gods will return", as the maya said this before.
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #75
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

Isn't that the date from the X-Files that the alien invasion is supposed to begin?
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote