"Anything Goes" opening sequence...

Ignatius Stone

I saw it at the theatre during opening week, and for the first few seconds I was like... :confused: ... but then I just went with it. What a great opening sequence.

RocketSledFight

Random off topic fact: My mom and aunt were best friends with Kate Capshaw at Hazelwood High School in North Saint Louis in the 70s. I have the yearbook photos to prove it. So in the end of Temple, when Willie says that she is headed back to Missouri, her statements are quite true.

I find the opening of TOD the weakest of the 4 films, but I never saw audience reaction to it in theatres. It seems the least spectacular to me.

|ZiR|

Does anyone else try to the sing Anything Goes in Mandarin? I think I have it down pretty good, provided that Capshaw's pronunciation was on target.

RocketSledFight said:
Random off topic fact: My mom and aunt were best friends with Kate Capshaw at Hazelwood High School in North Saint Louis in the 70s. I have the yearbook photos to prove it. So in the end of Temple, when Willie says that she is headed back to Missouri, her statements are quite true.

That is so cool. My parents fail for not attending school with any movie stars. (n)

RocketSledFight

My family has actually been pretty fortunate when it comes to meeting and being associated with famous people. My dad went to church and high school with Robert Altman, for a while, haha.

But I always felt like the Capshaw connection was my own little connection to the film series that I loved, no matter how trivial.

Lao_Che

Raider Joe said:
I wonder if Kate Capshaw learned Mandarin for that sequence of it was was added later.

It was added later, the original was just Capshaw screaming at different pitches.

"#Eeeeh :eek: eeh eeeeeh :eek: eeeeh eeh-eeh-eeh-eeeeeh! Anything Goes!" ;)

AnythingGoes

|ZiR| said:
Now I absolutely love the opening for ToD, even though I think it's weird how the big dance number happens, y'know, backstage. Out of sight, away from the audience's line of vision. Think about it from the perspective of the patrons: Willie slinks out, sings a few verses, then runs backstage until the finale. Bad showgirl!
I always thought that that thing with all of the blonds tapping on the giant stage was a fantasy of Willie's, she was imagining hundreds of girls responding to her every step on a big Broadway stage! Just an idea but...it works!
:whip:

AnnieJones

Anything Goes Chenese Lyrics (sort of)

Oops! I miss spelled Chinese up-top.I apologize.I was in a hurry.

|ZiR| said:
I love the song itself, and I've been wondering if anyone knew the lyrics to it. The Chinese parts, obviously. I got the "anything goes!" bit.
I myself always wanted to sing along to the lyrics without having to go "la la la la" through the whole song.So,I listened to the song very closely and wrote the lyrics down.Well,since I don't know Chinese,or how the language would be pronounced,or how it would look in order to write it in our language,I decided to write down the lyrics phonetically(based on the way they sound).The first part was easy.I used the lyrics from Welcome to Club Obi Wan and the rest,like I said,are phonetic lyrics.I did use some help with the yi(sounds like ee),wang(sounds like wong),and dao(sounds like dow as in down)lyrics from the Welcome to Club Obi Wan lyrics.

Anything Goes
Music:Cole Porter
Lyrics:Cole Porter
Chinese version performed by:Willie Scott(Kate Capshaw)

Yi wang si-i wa ye kan dao
Xin li bian yao la jing bao jin tian zhi dao
Anything goes

Yi wang el lu chu cha ku chom yi how
Chin su shu sha ley fong yen yi dao yi dao
Anything goes

Wang kwong sheh sheh yi den dao dao
Pyen da way ba pyeh weh dao
Mong weh zong zu da doh zu jah quay mee ko sha

Goot zu was wet fay wah long deh lah
Dong ma zeh hong za dao song yi ding way bao
Anything goes

(Sung faster)
Dong ma zeh hong za dao song yi ding way bao
Anything goes

Here is the video I used to do the lyrics.

Willie Scott - Anything Goes
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/li0WFjrY6GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Stoo

Nice work on the Chinese phonetics, Annie!:hat:

Here are the lyrics to a 1984 TV comercial for Minute Rice, sung by Ann B. Davis (of "Brady Bunch" fame) to tune of "Anything Goes":

In five minutes add a dash of class
To something new tonight
Goodness knows
Anything goes!

Try serving tomato rice
With your favourite fish
Or add onions, too
If it's lamb you wish
Soup or celery rice
Feel the perfect switch
With chicken and green beans!

Use your own imagination
To whip up a new creation
Minute Rice knows
Anything goes!

c. 1984 General Foods Corporation

(This was from one of my very 1st posts at The Raven. Just a quick question!)

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
Nice work on the Chinese phonetics, Annie!:hat:
Thank you.:D
Stoo said:
Here are the lyrics to a 1984 TV comercial for Minute Rice, sung by Ann B. Davis (of "Brady Bunch" fame) to tune of "Anything Goes":

In five minutes add a dash of class
To something new tonight
Goodness knows
Anything goes!

Try serving tomato rice
With your favourite fish
Or add onions, too
If it's lamb you wish
Soup or celery rice
Feel the perfect switch
With chicken and green beans!

Use your own imagination
To whip up a new creation
Minute Rice knows
Anything goes!

c. 1984 General Foods Corporation

(This was from one of my very 1st posts at The Raven. Just a quick question!)
I never heard that version before.It's funny.

AnnieJones

As far as the older versions of this song is concerned,this is one of my favorites.I love the instrumentals as well as the singing.I can't help it.I just love older music.

"Anything Goes"- AMBROSE & HIS ORCHESTRA
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2s3Df0mFTxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And as far as Indiana Jones Anything Goes fan videos are concerned,this is my favorite.

Indiana Jones - Anything Goes
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/noPRkUaryQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
I never heard that version before.It's funny.
I found it on an old VHS during a movie I recorded from TV in the fall of 1984. General Foods might have been inspired/tyring to cash-in on the use of the song in "Temple of Doom".

What I really like about the opening sequence is the fact that film's title is obscured by Willie and the audience never actually sees the entire thing. I can't think of any film in Hollywood history where the full title cannot be read. (Can't remember which Indy documentary it's in but there is a version of the title sequence where it appears IN FRONT of Willie.)

Raiders90

I think it's a great, inventive opening for an adventure film, and it really throws us right into the atmosphere of the 1930s, sort of like Hound Dog does for the '50s in KOTCS. It really tells us what period of time we're in and both songs set a good mood to set off the respective films

4985984931_ce29c08ff9_z.jpg

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
That comes as no surprise, my friend!:hat: Hopefully, other people will appreciate your posting of the image. Actual footage of deleted or alternate Indy scenes are rare as rare can be...

I love the way it is in the final film. Not only is it special within film-lore for obscuring the title but it's unique within IndyLand because "Doom" is the only film to feature the famous logo on-screen.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
I love the way it is in the final film.

Oh I love it, too. Not only it gave it a fresh feel, but also it was garish fun, and I felt that it complemented the big blowout "Old Hollywood" song and dance bit.

Stoo said:
Not only is it special within film-lore for obscuring the title but it's unique within IndyLand because "Doom" is the only film to feature the famous logo on-screen.

Not to take away the "special" quality of it in that regard, but I would like to see it again, with Indy up front! (y)

Daley

Rocket Surgeon said:

I certainly appreciate your posting of this image! From the original Making Of PBS special? It's one of my favourites, especially for all of the rare behind-the-scenes footage :D Love how they showed the Full title like this.

Here's a shot from the music video, which shows a bit of the opening scene sans credits:
vlcsnap-2011-06-23-23h47m38s143.png

But onto the topic - I love this opening, it's my favourite opening to all of the films - possibly because it's the first Indy film I ever saw and therefore had nothing to compare it to. I only wish I was around in 1984 to have experienced it with a new audience, to report back on their reactions. But from my side, I always just went with it - it really did set the tone for the whole film, it showed us right off the bat exactly what kind of character Willie would be (and for me it showed how she'd come full circle by the end of the film), and the big Hollywood musical feel was just (and still is) sheer excitement!
My guess is that people would've been a bit shocked to start with (especially with those tap-dancers!!) but it is very entertaining, and the nitty gritty dealings at the table straight afterwards bring us right back to the more familiar world of Indiana Jones..sortof! :whip:

Daley said:
From the original Making Of PBS special? It's one of my favourites, especially for all of the rare behind-the-scenes footage :D Love how they showed the Full title...
Yes sir...a Frank Marshall editorial if you will.:hat:

Created a seven part retrospective of the making of for the Indy Cast a while back. Got me over a lot of my distaste for Temple and brought back a bunch of great memories.

Daley said:
But onto the topic - I love this opening, it's my favourite opening to all of the films - possibly because it's the first Indy film I ever saw and therefore had nothing to compare it to. I only wish I was around in 1984 to have experienced it with a new audience, to report back on their reactions. But from my side, I always just went with it - it really did set the tone for the whole film, it showed us right off the bat exactly what kind of character Willie would be (and for me it showed how she'd come full circle by the end of the film), and the big Hollywood musical feel was just (and still is) sheer excitement!
My guess is that people would've been a bit shocked to start with (especially with those tap-dancers!!) but it is very entertaining, and the nitty gritty dealings at the table straight afterwards bring us right back to the more familiar world of Indiana Jones..sortof! :whip:
The whole tap dance sequence was a bit puzzling at 14/15 years old, but Willie looked so good in the red dress. Shame it was all down Mt Humol after that!