Soundtracks?

Stoo

lairdo said:
Yes, that is exactly the case.
Laird, I can?t repeat enough how great it is to have you here! Thanks for your insight on the ?Barcelona" score.:hat:

Upon investigation, it?s pretty clear that most of the ENTIRE ballet sequence is Rimsky-Korsakov (with very few Rosenthal bridges). Due to the rather large number of motifs from ?Scheherazade? woven throughout most of the Barcelona tunes, I?m stuck on how they should be categorized. Rimsky-Korsakov/Rosenthal OR Rimsky-Korsakov arr: Rosenthal?

InexorableTash said:
Awesome!

One goal is obviously to do the cue breakdown for all of the episodes. Anyone with the DVDs, soundtracks, and an hour or two to kill is pleaded with to help out. Pick an episode that's not broken down on the spreadsheet (linked above) and have at it.

As a test, I've copied Stoo's Barcelona breakdown into: http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/14-espionage-escapades

Comments on the formatting, columns, etc?
Looks good, Tash. It?s easy to read, clean & CLASSY!(y) For the time being, the only suggestion I have is to add a column for composer (because of tracks like ?Garryowen?, ?Minstrel Boy? and now, ?Scheherazade?, etc.). Maybe also add notes about the ?unused? portions of tracks? I know it?s just a test but you must have grabbed the info while I was still working on it. Don?t update yet as I?ve made some new discoveries/changes.

Here?s a play-by-play of JUST the ballet portions - "Scheherazade" breakdown (some things may be a bit off so feel free to make any corrections you may find):

26:29-27:27 Movement 1 - The Sea and Sinbad?s Ship
27:29-28:51 Movement 3 - The Young Prince and The Young Princess
28:51-30:52 Movement 2 - The Kalendar Prince (w/minor Rosenthal bit?)
30:53-32:02 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:03-32:33 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:33-33:46 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad. The Sea. The Ship Breaks against a Cliff Surmounted by a Bronze Horseman.

I love this music due to my passion for all things relating to Sindbad. (Yes, it?s spelled with the extra ?d?.) He was one of my biggest heroes - if not *the* - before ?Star Wars? & Indy were unleashed onto the world.

Stoo

LEGO 2 Tracks

From back on page 12, post 174.
fommes said:
A quick breakdown of some new Lego files:

-edit-

The bulk of it is unusable, but a few new tidbits here and there.
Hey, fommes.:hat: Do you or anyone else have a complete list of ONLY the Young Indy tracks from the LEGO 2 game? Doesn't matter if they are doubles of previous material, I just want to put them all together in one folder.

Stoo

Yes but there is a long list of tracks at the bottom where the fields for "source" are blank. I was wondering if any of those contain YI stuff. Anyone know?:confused:

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Laird, I can?t repeat enough how great it is to have you here! Thanks for your insight on the ?Barcelona" score.:hat:

Upon investigation, it?s pretty clear that most of the ENTIRE ballet sequence is Rimsky-Korsakov (with very few Rosenthal bridges). Due to the rather large number of motifs from ?Scheherazade? woven throughout most of the Barcelona tunes, I?m stuck on how they should be categorized. Rimsky-Korsakov/Rosenthal OR Rimsky-Korsakov arr: Rosenthal?

Looks good, Tash. It?s easy to read, clean & CLASSY!(y) For the time being, the only suggestion I have is to add a column for composer (because of tracks like ?Garryowen?, ?Minstrel Boy? and now, ?Scheherazade?, etc.). Maybe also add notes about the ?unused? portions of tracks? I know it?s just a test but you must have grabbed the info while I was still working on it. Don?t update yet as I?ve made some new discoveries/changes.

Here?s a play-by-play of JUST the ballet portions - "Scheherazade" breakdown (some things may be a bit off so feel free to make any corrections you may find):

26:29-27:27 Movement 1 - The Sea and Sinbad?s Ship
27:29-28:51 Movement 3 - The Young Prince and The Young Princess
28:51-30:52 Movement 2 - The Kalendar Prince (w/minor Rosenthal bit?)
30:53-32:02 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:03-32:33 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:33-33:46 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad. The Sea. The Ship Breaks against a Cliff Surmounted by a Bronze Horseman.

I love this music due to my passion for all things relating to Sindbad. (Yes, it?s spelled with the extra ?d?.) He was one of my biggest heroes - if not *the* - before ?Star Wars? & Indy were unleashed onto the world.

Thank you Stoo for the name of the song from "Attack of the Hawkman". I knew that was a military song that sounded familar, but I didn't know it was called "Garryowen". Great song and so is the "Minstrel Boy" which was used perfectly during the London 1916 segment. Hopefully someone can figure out the military march from Indy's next visit to London in November 1918 when he arrives in Waterloo station. Do you by any chance know the name of the other song from "Attack of the Hawkman" that the pilots are singing during the Bloody April montage? I was wondering if that was an original piece for the show or an actual song from WWI.

Stoo

My pleasure, 1986. The other song is called, "The Bold Aviator Lay Dying" (aka "The Young Aviator Lay Dying"). Again, another parallel between "Hawkmen" and the film, "Aces High", because there is a very similar scene where the pilots are all singing this tune (with Christopher Plummer at the piano).

On IndyCast #101, someone wrote in to answer Laird's Young Indy soundtrack challenge. I think the person's name was Richard. Is that anyone from here?:confused:

lairdo

By the way, did everyone agree with my list from the YIJC shows? I left the question as name the most to give me a little wiggle room on the answer. I'm fairly sure I had it right for music in the score (vs. source music/on screen stage acts). Here's the complete list I had.

1. Laurence Rosenthal, My First Adventure
2. Joel McNeely, Passion for Life
3. Giacomo Puccini, Perils of Cupid (besides the on screen numbers, his music is incorporated into the score)
4. Thomas Moore, Love's Sweet Song (the Minstrel Boy Song is in the score at the train station - it is used again in Attack of the Hawkmen)
5. Frederic Talgorn, Trenches of Hell
6. JS Bach, Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life (besides the piano scenes which would be musical numbers, Bach is used in the score as well particularly after Schweitzer is taken by the French)
7. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Adventures in the Secret Service (Rosenthal says on the CD notes that the ballet is in the score as well as on screen)
8. Curt Sobel, Masks of Evil
9. Steve Bramson, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
10. John Williams, Mystery of the Blues (incorporated into the opening and closing Harrison Ford scenes)
11. George Gershwin, Scandal of 1920 (the movie opens with Rhapsody in Blue in the score over the train)

I would love everyone's comments or rants about the list.

(For those that don't listen to the Indy-cast, this was one of the questions on episode 100 - name the composers for Young Indy and their first appearance in DVD order.)

lairdo

That looks great. Thanks. I am not sure how to make comments. Someone just did about the DVD credits that I want to respond to.

Stoo

@Inexorable Tash: This site just keeps getting better. How on earth did you find the info on the "China Dreams" tune from "Peacock's Eye"? I've been dying to know the name of that song. Nice discovery, Tash!(y)

I'm making an edit of "Scheherezade" that will match the performance from "Barcelona" and when it's done, will share it here.
lairdo said:
By the way, did everyone agree with my list from the YIJC shows? I left the question as name the most to give me a little wiggle room on the answer. I'm fairly sure I had it right for music in the score (vs. source music/on screen stage acts). Here's the complete list I had.

[---Edit---]

I would love everyone's comments or rants about the list.

(For those that don't listen to the Indy-cast, this was one of the questions on episode 100 - name the composers for Young Indy and their first appearance in DVD order.)
First off, did someone actually answer the question or was Pat just reading your list?

Secondly, I'll have to watch it again but there *might* be portion of Anton Karas' zither music from "The Third Man" in the Austria episode.

Thirdly, your list seems complete but I can't help thinking there's something missing. Just can't remember what it could be.
dr.jones1986 said:
Hopefully someone can figure out the military march from Indy's next visit to London in November 1918 when he arrives in Waterloo station.
Yes, I'd really let to get to the bottom of this. For anyone who missed your thread: Question about Treasure of the Peacock's Eye?

lairdo

I don't think the Third Man soundtrack was used in Austria, but I'll watch it again to check. The Third Man happens to be one of my all time favorite films. I also have the original score (complete with dialogue clips) and the re-recording done a few years ago.

Stoo

Laird, classic film score and superb film! I should have written that there might be a musical homage to "The Third Man" soundtrack rather than it actually being used. The part I'm referring to comes at 23:36 on the DVD after Emperor Karl looks over towards Indy and says, "And who is this third man?" What sounds like a harpsichord plays something which seems similar to Karas' zither. I'm not sure if the notes are the same but it's definitely a tip o' the hat (amongst others in the episode). Check it out.:hat:

Stoo

A couple of other additions to the list come from the 1917 Petrograd episode. There are, at the least, 3 Russian songs used as part of the soundtrack but I have no idea what they are.

The 1st tune...

*DVD @ 1:02:58-1:03:22 (Dancing at Indy?s birthday party) approx. 0:24 secs.

Another song used twice...

*DVD @ 1:05:21-1:05:50 (Indy arriving at Lenin's speech) approx. 0:30 secs.
*DVD @ 1:27:57-1:29:10 (Final march before the slaughter) approx. 1:13 secs.

And another...

*DVD @ 1:26:31-1:26:53 (Shots of the Bolsheviks rallying) approx. 0:22 secs.

While they may be traditional songs with unknown composers, it would be interesting to know their titles. (Maybe our fellow Ravenhead, T.E. Lawrence is familiar with the music since he's from Eastern Europe?)

lairdo

Stoo said:
Laird, classic film score and superb film! I should have written that there might be a musical homage to "The Third Man" soundtrack rather than it actually being used. The part I'm referring to comes at 23:36 on the DVD after Emperor Karl looks over towards Indy and says, "And who is this third man?" What sounds like a harpsichord plays something which seems similar to Karas' zither. I'm not sure if the notes are the same but it's definitely a tip o' the hat (amongst others in the episode). Check it out.:hat:

While not the same notes as the film, you are 100% right. That's definitely a reference to the Carol Reed film. It might actually be the zither playing those notes which is the famous instrument used by Karas in the Third Man score. The Indy score is playing off of the Young Indy theme, so it's a really nice incorporation.

Great catch. I wonder if I noticed this back in the day. I certainly had forgotten about it if I had.

Thanks!

fommes

Stoo said:
From back on page 12, post 174.
Hey, fommes.:hat: Do you or anyone else have a complete list of ONLY the Young Indy tracks from the LEGO 2 game? Doesn't matter if they are doubles of previous material, I just want to put them all together in one folder.

Hey Stoo - yeah I'd refer to Tash's excellent spreadsheet. The files at the bottom are all files that contain heavy SFX, if I'm not mistaken: they're the music & SFX to the Lego mini-movies that introduce a level, so they're very unusable, and to be disregarded.

Very sorry for not keeping in touch here regularly, and unfortunately, I'm going to have to resort to (even more) "lurking" in the next few months, due to a rather serious deadline, but hope to be back in full force mid-summer/september!

Now, for a really serious update, that might have a huge impact on you and Tash's work and on all your edits: at JWFan they've found a method to 'subtract' most of the SFX from the game files we've been identifying. For many files we've also got the SFX-only version of the track, and if you invert that, and then mix it into the music & SFX track, it should cancel out the SFX, apparently. Haven't tried it myself yet unfortunately, but there's a report that it works better in Lego 1 than in Lego 2 (though it still works), because the files in Lego 2 are supposedly a bit lossier. I should also note that it only works if both tracks are aligned perfectly.
This, of course, makes all this work even more daunting!

Stoo

New Track Identified

Made a positive I.D. for what is, most likely, the last remaining Young Indy track from the "Revolution" game. 12 tracks are listed as stock and I only have 2 ('choose path' and 'panchos_camp') so can't vouch for the other 10 but I trust Tash's ear. The new track is from "Barcelona" and comes after the Count challenges Col. Schmidt to the duel. Spreadsheets have been updated accordingly.

"Extra" = DVD 35:19-35:36. (I've called it "Duel Accepted")

My re-creation of the "Scheherazade" medley is coming along nicely and can't wait to share it with you all. The synchronization to the episode is nearly exact and will give us another 7+1/2 minutes of music. Along with the other recent discoveries, we'll have almost all the music from "Barcelona" (approx. 8+1/2 minutes missing).

@fommes: Very interesting news, fommes! Have no idea how to "invert" an audio track, though.:confused: Thanks for the info on those other tracks. I have them but didn't know if I should spend time going through them. Happy lurking and come back when you can (but as you know, I will be contacting you privately).

@Laird: It could be a zither but it really sounds like a harpsichord. I'v also thought of some other tunes that were used. Although not technically part of the soundtrack it would nice to also have a list for songs featured on the show. The post-war episodes feature many but to start off, some others are:

"Chopsticks (The Celebrated Chop Waltz)", Euphemia Allen - Indy & Schweitzer play a few bars before kicking into to something else from the "Congo" episode.

"William Tell Overture", Gioachino Rossini - Indy & Hemingway's duet in "Northern Italy"

Seeing as you like "The Third Man" music so much, here's something you might enjoy. Karas playing the theme live in a club in Vienna:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFz79SBnuk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFz79SBnuk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Stoo

99.9% Wrap for Music from the DVD Games

Stoo said:
Made a positive I.D. for what is, most likely, the last remaining Young Indy track from the "Revolution" game. 12 tracks are listed as stock and I only have 2 ('choose path' and 'panchos_camp') so can't vouch for the other 10 but I trust Tash's ear.
Boy, do I feel dumb.:eek: After I first mentioned the DVD games as a source for new music, Inexorable Tash explained how to retrieve them so, in actual fact, I did have access to the rest of the stock stuff but forgot.:eek: Despite this, the honourable Tash kindly sent them to me anyway with no mention of his previous instructions...Didn't meant to waste his time. He's a star.

A milestone has been hit! All 12 are, indeed, stock so that's pretty much A WRAP for the DVD Games and Interactive Timeline!(y) The only thing left is the first 16 secs. of Special Delivery: medcamp-1, which as Tash (& myself) suspect could be unused music...however, you never, ever know...;) These games have provided a wealth of extra music and, now that they've been conquered and out of the way (which took about 10 months), it's time to concentrate on the original mission...the remaining LEGO tracks.

I cleaned up the DVD Games entries on the spreadsheet but at the bottom we have "Other" and "Staff of Kings". Maybe these 2 categories should be seperated from the DVD page and have their own? (Just a suggestion.)

MDew

Nice work, guys - keep it up! Time to update my track titles :D You do realize that as soon as you finish all this work they're just going to come out with complete scores for all of them on CD, right? That's always how it works...