How the DVDs should have been...

Indianna1880

Jeremiah Jones said:
I'm sorry Indiana1880, but, you started off this attack by calling stoo 'stoo sample' I really don't think it makes any sense at all to suddenly start acting like the wounded party after shooting the opening volley. Also, why the hell should anyone have to, or even want to prove themselves to you? You've been here long enough to make a flurry of offensive comments and suddenly you seem to think you're king of the forum. Yet we've all been posting here for months, you can't just wander in and start offending people who have been here for the long haul.

Stoo was trying to be helpful. And actually, yes, he is a young Indy expert. Professors really don't need to prove themselves to first year students.

i'm not claiming to be king of the forum thats stoo's job. stoo seems to be your king who you don't like anyone talking to unless it's brown nosing. i'm done dealing with your wanna-be king stoo. i called him stoo sample because he offended me. this isn't a college, stoo not an indy expert in my eyes much less a professor of anything, and i've graduated college so i'm not a first year student of anything.

if you think stoo is an Indy expert thats your choice, i'm giving you and him one chance to back off my case, i suggest you take it, but if you don't then blame yourself for the results. you being here longer gives you no more rights than i have despite your thoughts on that matter. so we can end it here or not...it's your choice if we continue this hissy fit you kids have over king stoo.

Flannery10

Guys, stop it!! I mean seriously, this is a thread about Young Indy and not about Stoo. In my opinion, this forum is not for making enemies, but finding people who share your opinion and if not, argue in a light and normal way, and not by insulting each other. Stoo really knows quiet a lot about Young Indy and since I have been here for 5 months now, I know what I'm talking about. He certainly knows what he's talking about.

As for you Indianna, I don't know you well enough, to judge you, but maybe we should all calm down a little. Oh, and by the way, sorry for my part in starting this fight, which is definetely existent and too small to be ignorred.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
Guys, stop it!! I mean seriously, this is a thread about Young Indy and not about Stoo. In my opinion, this forum is not for making enemies, but finding people who share your opinion and if not, argue in a light and normal way, and not by insulting each other. Stoo really knows quiet a lot about Young Indy and since I have been here for 5 months now, I know what I'm talking about. He certainly knows what he's talking about.

As for you Indianna, I don't know you well enough, to judge you, but maybe we should all calm down a little. Oh, and by the way, sorry for my part in starting this fight, which is definetely existent and too small to be ignorred.
flannery if you want us to stop i'm more than all too ok with it. frankly i don't remember what your part in starting the fight was, if you mean calling stoo an indy expert i don't really consider that anything more than matter of opinion and don't really think that was what pushed the fight into existence,

bottom line: as far as i'm concerned your ok with me Flannery. Stoo WILL be if all smooths over from here on out. it does take 2 to cause a fight and so far its me an stoo. you want it to end?? fine, i'll step down. i don't have real issue with mettalingvader either

my feelings are everyone is equal and they get the benfit of the doubt until i don't think i should be giving it to them any more. Stoo gets his second chance a clean slate from here on out. ok flannery?

Flannery10

Well, that's not for me to decide. I don't have a problem with you Indianna, and I really didn't want us to start like we have. Let's just be a little more calm next time, and things will start getting better.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
Well, that's not for me to decide. I don't have a problem with you Indianna, and I really didn't want us to start like we have. Let's just be a little more calm next time, and things will start getting better.
like i said you asked...well nicely with a hint of aggressive frusteration, so i'll stand down, stoo can decide how this ends.

metalinvader

Indianna1880 said:
if you think stoo is an Indy expert thats your choice, i'm giving you and him one chance to back off my case, i suggest you take it, but if you don't then blame yourself for the results.

LMAO! Thanks for the good laugh but seriously,What's the worst you can do on a forum???

Internet tough guys...Tsk,Tsk!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Indianna1880 said:
jump on my case, when they do that...then they are trolls and will be treated and addressed as such.
Actually it doesn't work that way. There's no conspiracy or hierarchy here... well, unless you include us mods. But we're really rather shy. ;)
Indianna1880 said:
his opinion of me doesn't make any difference to me or take any toll on me.
That's the spirit! Carry on.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
Thanks so much for encouraging him to go on, when I was just about to get things fixed;) !
i just skipped right over it, flannery. i'm not phased by it so don't worry your "efforts are not in vane" or is it vain....i always get those two confused.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
the original ones airing on TV were more or a less a Lesson of the week.
the VHS editions were a sloppy done way of making movies out of them, a way of making an easy buck as it were, or a "first draft" if you will (or if you won't)
the DVDs are the final canon continuity

All of the changes were made circa 1996. The series was unchanged from its 1999 (partial) VHS release to its 2007-2008 DVD release.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
All of the changes were made circa 1996. The series was unchanged from its 1999 (partial) VHS release to its 2007-2008 DVD release.

-there was the versions that aired on TV
THEN Lucas decided to make them into VHS movies and we had
-The altered "TV" movies made from the orginial TV episodes thats what you guys all seem to want.
NOW we have the official CANON continuity on DVD which Lucas took from the VHS movies and re-arranged some segments for them to connect better as opposed to having indy at age 9 then skip ahead 10yrs when he's 18 or 19meeting "Ned" for the second time. instead we see Indy's life in order of him growing up.

people don't seem to like this because they are comparing it to the VHS versions which ignored timeline almost entirely and just connected them by theme. the DVDs connect them by theme AND chronology SO YES the dvds are altered from the VHS versions but the two shouldn't be compared.

it's like comparing 1977 Star Wars with 2003 special edition DVD star wars and trying to say both connect with prequels

if you watch Star Wars episodes 1-3 then watch Episodes 4-6 from 77 80 83
you will find more plot holes in the original versions of 4-6 than if you watch the 2003 versions

same goes for YIJ DVDs. The VHS movies if you watch them in chapter order have more chronology and plot holes than the DVD versions which were re-arranged, re-edited, and re-dated. the DVD versions might still have plot holes but they have fewer ones and less noticible ones unless you are looking for them.

Flannery10

There already were several TV-movies made during the airing on TV, including Travels with Father, Attack of the Hawkmen, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and Hollywood Follies. They were never changed, except Travels lost its bookends. All the others were re-edited for the '99 VHS release but only 12 were released. There are exactly 2 (not 3) versions of Young Indy: the first one with Old Indy telling his life to other people and the chronological 90-minute films. That's it!

metalinvader

Flannery is correct.The VHS and DVD versions are exactaly the same.Nothing has been edited or deleted from the 90 minute telefilms for the DVD release.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
There already were several TV-movies made during the airing on TV, including Travels with Father, Attack of the Hawkmen, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and Hollywood Follies. They were never changed, except Travels lost its bookends. All the others were re-edited for the '99 VHS release but only 12 were released. There are exactly 2 (not 3) versions of Young Indy: the first one with Old Indy telling his life to other people and the chronological 90-minute films. That's it!
if thats really true, then the DVDS are more in chronological order than ever and no one should be complaing about their order since it all makes sense. the TV order was insanely horrible.

all i know is lucas said he was re-editing them into proper chronological order according to year and theme. this ment if indy had something stolen when he was 9 we wouldn't see him get it back next episode taking place 10yrs later. we would have to see him go thru all his other adventures living his life up until that moment.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think the point is that the re-edited films were occasionally pairing films that were not immediately next to each other in a single film, and in this manner the films are not purely chronological, even within an individual film.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
-there was the versions that aired on TV
THEN Lucas decided to make them into VHS movies and we had
-The altered "TV" movies made from the orginial TV episodes thats what you guys all seem to want.
NOW we have the official CANON continuity on DVD which Lucas took from the VHS movies and re-arranged some segments for them to connect better as opposed to having indy at age 9 then skip ahead 10yrs when he's 18 or 19meeting "Ned" for the second time. instead we see Indy's life in order of him growing up.

people don't seem to like this because they are comparing it to the VHS versions which ignored timeline almost entirely and just connected them by theme. the DVDs connect them by theme AND chronology SO YES the dvds are altered from the VHS versions but the two shouldn't be compared.

it's like comparing 1977 Star Wars with 2003 special edition DVD star wars and trying to say both connect with prequels

if you watch Star Wars episodes 1-3 then watch Episodes 4-6 from 77 80 83
you will find more plot holes in the original versions of 4-6 than if you watch the 2003 versions

same goes for YIJ DVDs. The VHS movies if you watch them in chapter order have more chronology and plot holes than the DVD versions which were re-arranged, re-edited, and re-dated. the DVD versions might still have plot holes but they have fewer ones and less noticible ones unless you are looking for them.

The series as it originally aired had few continuity errors. Switching the order around created at least one new error, and the new "bridging" footage Lucas shot back in 1996 was mostly sloppy and forced. I don't get why you think that just because the series was created and aired out of order (intentionally, I might add), that there are automatically continuity errors. The series was technically a sequel to the films, in that it followed the mundane life of Old Indy, who loooooooooooooooved to talk about his childhood and young adulthood in detail at any chance he could get.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
The series as it originally aired had few continuity errors. Switching the order around created at least one new error, and the new "bridging" footage Lucas shot back in 1996 was mostly sloppy and forced. I don't get why you think that just because the series was created and aired out of order (intentionally, I might add), that there are automatically continuity errors. The series was technically a sequel to the films, in that it followed the mundane life of Old Indy, who loooooooooooooooved to talk about his childhood and young adulthood in detail at any chance he could get.
you say switching the order created "at least one new error" what is this "one new error" if you don't mind my asking? the bridging footage i do not feel was sloppy at all or forced. this is an opinion you have, lets stick to the facts shall we? if there is errors point them out to me. i'll be happy to listen. if something is aired out of order, intentionally or not, it's still a continuity problem/error. when people watch something they expect it to be in order atleast the first time around. so yes those are automatically continuity errors

the series wasn't really connected to the films originally, it was designed as as method of teaching about history so it wasn't really a prequel or sequel to the films. "Old indy" was just the host. my opinion is he was taken out of the DVDs because with old indy telling the story it gave the impression that this was just an embelished "fish story" and not what necessarily what happened. by taking the bookends out we see the stories as "this IS HOW indy lived his life" not just some wild tale. also remember in the films indy never came across as loving to talk about his childhood so this was kind of contradicting "93 yr old indy" with "movie indy".

chronologically, theme wise, location wise, story/plot wise i see no "continuity" problem. the only time i see continuity problems is when you compare the DVD version to the VHS versions and then it is strictly OPINION, not facts that there are continuity problems.

the only continuity problem people complain about are "this segment would have gone betteer with that segment" and once more....that is their opinion, not a fact based "continuity error" thus if you don't share their opinion, you don't have the continuity error since the error is opinion based.

also i would like to add that in The Last Crusade Indy told his father how he didn't enjoy his child and how he was always moving from place to place, so it made little sense for old indy to "looooove talking about his childhood since he didn't enjoy it or have many, if any at all, fond memories of it or his father. the DVDs make much more sense be it storywise, theme wise, or time frame wise. this is like saying day is better than night. you can support your claim...but someone else can support their oppisite claim too.

i think it's best to consider them 2 different canon versions of the same story. i.e. some people prefer the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles(original release) some prefer the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones (DVDs). To say 1 is better than the other...will only cause problems though.

Last edited:

metalinvader

Indianna1880 said:
the only time i see continuity problems is when you compare the DVD version to the VHS versions and then it is strictly OPINION, not facts that there are continuity problems.

I really do not know what you mean by this because the VHS and DVD versions are exactaly the same.Each VHS episode has the same chapter number as the episdoes on the DVD,So I can't see why you say they don't follow the continuity.

Indianna1880 said:
also i would like to add that in The Last Crusade Indy told his father how he didn't enjoy his child and how he was always moving from place to place,

Indy never said any of that in LC.The only thing that is brought up is his the relationship between him and his father.

Last edited:

Indianna1880

metalinvader said:
I really do not know what you mean by this because the VHS and DVD versions are exactaly the same.Each VHS episode has the same chapter number as the episdoes on the DVD,So I can't see why you say they don't follow the continuity.

Indy never said any of that in LC.The only thing that is brought up is his the relationship between him and his father.
no actually he says it directly to his father. here it is straight from the script itself.

INDY
Do you remember the last time we
had a quiet drink? I had a milk
shake.

HENRY
Hmmm... What did we talk about?

INDY
We didn't talk. We never talked.

HENRY
And do I detect a rebuke?

INDY
A regret. It was just the two of
us, Dad. It was a lonely way to
grow up. For you, too. If you
had been an ordinary, average
father like the other guys' dads,
you'd have understood that.
When?

HENRY looks up from his Diary.

HENRY
Did I ever tell you to eat up?
Go to bed? Wash your ears? Do
your homework? No. I respected
your privacy and I taught you self-
reliance.

CONTINUED: (2)

INDY
What you taught me was that I was
less important to you than people
who had been dead for five hundred
years in another country. And I
learned it so well that we've
hardly spoken for twenty years.

HENRY
You left just when you were
becoming interesting.

INDY
Dad, how can you --?

HENRY
(interrupting)
Very well. I'm here now.

so yes indy did express his "unhappiness with his childhood" and wasn't comfortable talking about it.