Will Disney ever make another 2D Animated Film?

Raiders90

Same question as the topic. Do you think 2D will ever make a comeback, and will Disney ever do another deep, classic 2D film along the lines of the '90s Renaissance films? Or is it Pixar toy movies from here on out?

kongisking

The rather derogatory words "Pixar toy movies" aside, I hope that someday they will try again. Honestly, if Tangled had been in 2-D, I would have considered it a flawlessly done animated family musical. Not to say the computer animation wasn't still utterly tremendous, but 2-D would have been so nice to see too.

Spurlock

Didn't they just make one in 2009? I mean Princess and the Frog was very recent and they could have some more along the way. The only problem is that that movie didn't make near as much money as Pixar movies make regularly, so you can see why they aren't common occurrences.

To be honest though, I've never seen most of the Disney 2D animated movies, the only one being Mulan.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Didn't they just make one in 2009? I mean Princess and the Frog was very recent and they could have some more along the way. The only problem is that that movie didn't make near as much money as Pixar movies make regularly, so you can see why they aren't common occurrences.

To be honest though, I've never seen most of the Disney 2D animated movies, the only one being Mulan.

Required Viewing List For Rest Of The Week:

Beauty and the Beast
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
The Lion King
Dumbo

Kindly PM me once your marathon is finished, and gush your newfound love for 2-D animation. I'll be waiting...:hat:

The Drifter

kongisking said:
Required Viewing List For Rest Of The Week:

Beauty and the Beast
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
The Lion King
Dumbo

Kindly PM me once your marathon is finished, and gush your newfound love for 2-D animation. I'll be waiting...:hat:

No Robin Hood, The Sword In the Stone or The Fox and the Hound?
Those three are my favorite Disney animated films.

kongisking

The Drifter said:
No Robin Hood, The Sword In the Stone or The Fox and the Hound?
Those three are my favorite Disney animated films.

Okay, okay, Fox and the Hound gets a "if you can squeeze it in" mention. I really like that one too. Still think the climax with the bear is ridiculously intense and badass...

Spurlock

I mean, I enjoy 2D animation, and I've seen bits and pieces of all those movies, just never watched them all the way through.

But don't worry, not that I have a little sister, I have a feeling I will have watched these in excess by the time she's grown. So no need for a marathon :p .

Eldorado, even it isn't a Disney 2D, is still my favorite.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I mean, I enjoy 2D animation, and I've seen bits and pieces of all those movies, just never watched them all the way through.

But don't worry, not that I have a little sister, I have a feeling I will have watched these in excess by the time she's grown. So no need for a marathon :p .

Eldorado, even it isn't a Disney 2D, is still my favorite.

That's a delightful one.

Bummer, I shall have to wait years with no PMs from Spurlock...:(

S. Dakota Jones

I don't know if they'll make a return, but I do really miss them. I still really enjoy most of the titles you listed and the 3 Drifter listed. All the hype surrounding them before they came out, the soundtracks to listen to(and sing along) to after they did...

My how times change.

Even though Pixar has surpassed what Disney used to do...it's just not the same...

kongisking

S. Dakota Jones said:
I don't know if they'll make a return, but I do really miss them. I still really enjoy most of the titles you listed and the 3 Drifter listed. All the hype surrounding them before they came out, the soundtracks to listen to(and sing along) to after they did...

My how times change.

Even though Pixar has surpassed what Disney used to do...it's just not the same...

Such is the nature of any industry, it goes through waves and trends. Sad but certainly true...:(

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Same question as the topic. Do you think 2D will ever make a comeback, and will Disney ever do another deep, classic 2D film along the lines of the '90s Renaissance films? Or is it Pixar toy movies from here on out?

Good thing to bring up.

Well, for one, not even all the Pixar movies are Pixar toy movies, a slam that really just seems suited to Cars as far as I'm concerned. (Unless you mean that computer animation is a toy that Walt Disney Animation Studios has become too enamored of, which I would agree with.)

Two, both 2009 (Princess and the Frog) and 2011 (Winnie the Pooh) saw Disney release films theatrically made with relatively traditional 2D, hand-drawn (though computer aided) animation.

Three? Yeah, I agree that the future of more traditional methods of animation at WDAS is somewhat grim.

But then things get more complicated.

When people talk about the Disney Renaissance, there's usually four in particular that they have in mind: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Every one of these has a princess (usually yearning to escape her confines), a prince (usually dashing and adventuresome), a Broadway-style musical score (including a showstopper for the villain), and origins in a famous pre-existing story.

Guess which two recent Disney films slot perfectly into that framework? The Princess and the Frog and Tangled. Oh, and Frozen, another Disney princess musical, is coming out in just a couple weeks. They are very self-consciously emulating their biggest hits of the 1990s. Heck, there's even a trailer for Frozen calling it "The Greatest Animated Event since The Lion King." Way to throw a bunch of other works under the bus, and not just clearly mediocre ones.

Yes, a number of the Disney animated films post-2000 were not exactly up to par. But was Chicken Little really going to be a great film if it weren't computer animated? No. And the rather charming Lilo & Stitch benefited from being a little out of the ordinary. Meet the Robinsons has its appeal as well.

Will two-dimensional, hand-drawn style animation make a comeback? Well, we're not likely to see much of it coming out of Disney or Hollywood generally, so not in the megaplex market. And while being absent from yours and my local AMC or Cinemark or Regal is a certain kind of death, non-computer work will undoubtedly still exist in the independent market, on television, in the avant garde, and in anime and other non-American forms. Some of them even get Oscar nominations.

But will Disney return to what they did in the past? The recent past, anyhow? Yeah. And that they've returned so fully is what makes this current cycle so uninspiring, albeit appealing.

Me? I'd rather see them go for more daring work, as in the Pocahontas-Hunchback-Hercules-Mulan cycle, then to blatantly mimic a set of work on which they've stuck the landing already.

kongisking

Attila the Professor said:
Heck, there's even a trailer for Frozen calling it "The Greatest Animated Event since The Lion King." Way to throw a bunch of other works under the bus, and not just clearly mediocre ones.

Agreed. So Tangled, my favorite "old-fashioned" Disney movie in a long, long time, wasn't deserving of such a title?

I'd rather see them go for more daring work, as in the Pocahontas-Hunchback-Hercules-Mulan cycle, then to blatantly mimic a set of work on which they've stuck the landing already.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame being my implied last favorite animated Disney movie before Tangled came along. A phenomenal film that really deserves more accolades.

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:
Agreed. So Tangled, my favorite "old-fashioned" Disney movie in a long, long time, wasn't deserving of such a title?

The Hunchback of Notre Dame being my implied last favorite animated Disney movie before Tangled came along. A phenomenal film that really deserves more accolades.

Ahem...are you sure?

Le Saboteur

Good thing to bring up.

Don't encourage The Bot. I don't know how many more of these "poll" threads I can take.

Nobody ever remembers The Great Mouse Detective!

To answer the question, 'No, Disney will not make another 2D feature' any time soon. You will continue to see 2D-animation on television, but those jobs are farmed out to India, South Korea, and Japan. So, who really cares about those fine folks in Burbank?

And the rather charming Lilo & Stitch benefited from being a little out of the ordinary.

I'm not sure where it ranks specifically, but it's in my Top 5. Right up there with The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast. Stich is the best character "they've" created in decades. He's a blueberry hued koala with the eyes and mouth of a Great White!

Attila the Profesor said:
Me? I'd rather see them go for more daring work, as in the Pocahontas-Hunchback-Hercules-Mulan cycle, then to blatantly mimic a set of work on which they've stuck the landing already.

Not this incarnation of the Walt Disney Company. I blame Lasseter. While he may talk a good game, he really wants to be associated with "winners". Sure, The Princess and the Frog made some money, but Tangled made a bunch of money! So, more of that please. Lasseter has a winery to support now!

Personally, I'm thankful they ever thought to greenlight Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I never thought I'd see characters smoke and/or die in a Disney animated feature. That said, it was a rather good adventure movie. It gets neglected because it merely broke even at the box office. Now I have a hankering to watch it again.

What sparked the sacking of the animation department? Poor home video sales.

Business Insider said:
Lower home entertainment revenue reflected a 23% decrease from a decline in unit sales and an 8% decrease from lower net effective pricing including the impact of a higher current-quarter sales mix of catalog titles, which have a lower sales price than new releases. Significant titles in the current year included Brave, Cinderella Diamond Release and Marvel's The Avengers ...

Full article here.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
To my knowledge, the latest incarnation of Winnie the Pooh was the last (and to be the last) hand-drawn animated film for Disney. Which is a real tradegy if you ask me.
That SUCKS. :( (n) Nearly all of my life (since I was 3 in 1970), I've been waiting for another film featuring:

♫ ♪ Abraham Delacie Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley...O'Malley the alley cat! ♪ ♫

(from an animated Disney film that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.):p

Forbidden Eye

Spurlock said:

I'm...a bit stunned a statment like that could be claimed by anyone born post-1940s.

As far as the topic is concerned, personally, I think some fans are a little too obsessed with hand-drawn animation. I mean, I love the look of it too and love classics like Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Jungle Book and The Lion King as much as one can, but...I don't think I have a strong preferance of it or CG animation over the other. Heck, I'd even put stop-motion animation like Nightmare Before Christmas as equal to it. As long as the movie as a whole is well done it just doesn't matter to me.

Frankly, I'd say both Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph were superior to The Princess and the Frog and Winnie The Pooh. That's not to say the last two movies were bad, but I think the biggest problem with both films were they tried too hard to be "Disney"(or at least what the general public often percieves Disney as) and as a result, they fell short of the classic Disney films they were trying really hard to be like, whereas Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph were less about immitating other Disney films and trying to be entertaining and well-made on their own terms. And as a result they're far more likely to viewed as classics in later years than most of the recent hand-drawn films Disney has done. That seems to be the case with Frozen as well(we'll have to wait and see there).

Sure I'd like to see more hand-drawn films just so we can have more variety, but I think we need to accept that just like black-and-white films and westerns are no longer a mainstream trend, hand-drawn animation's days are over. At least, in terms of being mainstream like it was in the late-80s-early-90s. Another one will probably get made just like another western or black-and-white film gets made from time to time, but it may take a long while.

And honestly, I'm alright with that. As long as the films they're planning now are as good as Wreck-It-Ralph.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Spurlock said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P5iqYuFmzqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finn

Staff member
I shook my head at that too...

...but could be it's just another reminder of the sad fact that we've become older than we'd like.