London to host 2012 Olympics

00Kevin

Indyfan
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050706...1_fjOQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

a nice pic here: http://news.yahoo.com/fc/sports/olympics

new york, madrid and moscow fell to the wayside, as expected in the early rounds of voting, leaving the 2 favorites to duke it out: Paris and London

Paris - the favorite, the french have tour de france and their last major sporting event was the 1998 World cup which they won

London - the number 2 favorite, many said that they had a chance against france, they have wimboldon and their last sporting event, as far as I recall, was the 1966 World Cup, which they won

in the end, London got the win, paris was a bit surprised, this is the 3rd olympic loss in 20 years (92, 09 and 12)

personally I'm pleased, I was rooting for london number 1. Paris I would have still approved, Mabey moscow, madrid probubly not, and definitly not new york

any thoughts? anyone got their travel plans booked yet?

and for all you brits:

Drink around the house

I'll take mine shaken, not stirred

IAdventurer01

Wow, London won?

I was convinced Paris was going to win, but honestly I'm happy. (Even if English food is supposed to be horrible. :rolleyes: )

roundshort

Londons fun, not as stuffy as they used to be, but have lots of friends there would rather see Paris though, it is the greatest city in the world, and any exuce to go there is always welcome, the only problem is if you go to paris to see the games, you would probably never make it to them as there is so much to do in Paris, oh well, when one gets tired fo the crappy food in London, Paris is a short trek away!

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I was disappointed, I could've had the Olimpic games right on my doorstep...Oh well I guess I'll have to take the Eurostar (without the car, you have to pay to drive in the city center :)).

westford

I live in London, but I was supporting Paris. Now our taxes will go up to pay for it.

Still, compared to what's happening today, that's a minor thing... :(

roundshort

hmm security will be a pain, this could be a fun and interesting part time job for any true adventures sign up with a company like Blackwell to work security for the Olympics, if I was younger and didn't have the dream job . . .

Stoo

Bumping a 7-year-old thread to say:

THE WHO will be perfoming at the London Olympics' closing ceremonies!(y)(y)(y) Tune in on August 12!:whip:

Stoo

Tonight!

Don't forget to put your volume up LOUD and watch The Who onstage at the closing ceremonies. Just a few hours to go...(y)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Don't forget to put your volume up LOUD and watch The Who onstage at the closing ceremonies. Just a few hours to go...(y)

Either the Who have got younger or the look awfully like the Kaiser Chiefs...

Finn

Staff member
Summer Games? *yawn* Roll in Sochi already.

Okay okay, we did see some impressive outings, and I'll also have to say that the ceremonial bits had a bit more personality than the usual pompous lightshows and strictly coordinated mass movements we've come to see in the past years.