Fountain Of Youth game

Finn

Staff member
ClintonHammond said:
Sounds like begging to me...
Isn't helping beggars charity?

Oh yeah, that's probably synonumous with 'stupidity' in your dictionary.

EvilDevo

VP said:
There are 2000 members but less than 200 of them are active. Oh yeah and you stole my avatar. ;)

Less than 200? I figured there would be a lot less than 2000 active members... didn't realize the numbers would be that small though.

As for the avatar, a sixty minute bare knuckle brawl (to the death) held in Times Square, New York City shall determine the holder of exclusive rights.

|ZiR|

Fountain of Youth (demo) questions + hidden ending

So, I finished up the demo last night --which was excellent and has made the long wait for the final product oh so much worse-- and I've got a few questions that I couldn't find answered on the official site.

1. Supposedly there is a 'hidden' ending that involves the bandages, kerosine, and the large round boulder at La Boca del Diablo. I've tried figuring it out, but all I could think to do was to soak the bandages in the kerosine and wipe off the dirt around the boulder, revealing a placque stating that the rock is in fact a prop from Screen 7, and as such it should be returned immediately if found. Is that all there is to it? I sure hope not. :/

2. What, if anything, are the following items used for:

Cup
Magnet
Cork
Pickaxe
Shovel
Cog

3. It seemed like there were a lot of inside jokes or references laced throughout the various dialogues in the demo. And I think a good few of them went over my head. Would it be ridiculous to ask for a list of them all?

|ZiR|

Oh, wow! I can't believe it was so obvious. I have no idea why I never thought to pick it up--I guess 'cause I tried to earlier, before I found the placque, and I couldn't. I feel so foolish!

That was neat. I figured it'd be something like that, with the developers and all. Y'know, that statue of Bimini looked suspiciously like Cthulhu. Hmm. Also, did they 'accidentally' imply that Shelly is Indy's daughter? Weird.

At any rate, thank you for the help. But the seemingly useless items still bug me. Well, the cog, mostly. You pick it up like, right at the beginning of the demo, and it never comes into play. Why even bother including it then? Inquiring minds want to know.

Finn

Staff member
|ZiR| said:
Why even bother including it then? Inquiring minds want to know.
New to adventure games? Because it's not unusual at all to have items with no use in them.

Also, it's only a demo, right? Who're we to tell that they're still purposeless in the full game?

|ZiR|

Finn said:
New to adventure games? Because it's not unusual at all to have items with no use in them.

I am, a bit. The closest thing I've played to a game like FoY would have to be the old Clock Tower (SNES) game. And all its items came into use at one point or another. :p

Also, it's only a demo, right? Who're we to tell that they're still purposeless in the full game?

Ah, okay. Y'see, somehow I got the impression that all the items and puzzles featured in the demo would not be present in the final product. THAT'S why the cog was bothering me so much. But if you're right, and I strongly suspect you are, then... mystery solved, I guess. Thanks.

adventure_al

i get the impression they done this for somesort of project then got bored/gave up. I think it's probably quite unlikely now they'll ever be a full game.

lornconner

Hmmm...I missed this thread earlier.

I can tell you that the project is still going forward...just slowly.

We realized that some of the ideas that we had for FOY mirrored some of the stunts and ideas from Indy IV, so it was prudent to wait for the movie to come out to make sure that we didn't overlap too much.

Also, real life often intrudes, so we make the time to work on the project when we can.

That being said, artwork is still being produced behind the scenes and script revisions are ongoing. We're also working on a site redesign, and a few other odds n' ends related to the project.

Lorn

Dust McAlan

lornconner said:
Hmmm...I missed this thread earlier.

I can tell you that the project is still going forward...just slowly.

We realized that some of the ideas that we had for FOY mirrored some of the stunts and ideas from Indy IV, so it was prudent to wait for the movie to come out to make sure that we didn't overlap too much.

Also, real life often intrudes, so we make the time to work on the project when we can.

That being said, artwork is still being produced behind the scenes and script revisions are ongoing. We're also working on a site redesign, and a few other odds n' ends related to the project.

Lorn
Lorn,

I don't know if you need help with script revisions, but I'm a published writer with a love for Indy. If you need help, let me know.

topherkenyon@live.com

Cheers!

Mods

Seeking writer(s) for Fountain of Youth

Hello all, I hope you are well. I'm Mark and I've been involved with a freeware Indy game for many years, and also helped on the fan-film Treasure of The Templars which is getting ever closer to finished (it was through this forum that I got involved in that one, woohoo!).

I wanted to post here an opportunity to help us with some writing for the game. We're pushing harder again and will now deliver Fountain of Youth in chapters (and string them together at the end). You may have already played the demo (link below).

I wanted to post this here as I know there are some great writers within this community. And of course, for an Indy game there's no better place. So I hope you'll allow me to post the full description (below).

However to be able to do this we need to patch up certain areas of our team again. The largest hole currently being writers. So, here's the full info:

Seeking writers

The long standing project Fountain of Youth seeks new writers to join the team and help us deliver the game. For those that are not aware, we have chosen to release the game as chapters and then string them altogether at the end of the process. This helps us concentrate on smaller portions of the game at a time reducing the workload. Fountain of Youth is a freeware game in the style of Fate of Atlantis and a playable demo can be found here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/724/

We have a well formed team at present but lacking on members who can focus their time and skill on writing. I believe solid writing comes from a good writer, not from a team of people whose primary roles aren't writing. The game has a fantastic story, drafted up by Lorn Conner several years ago. Although the story has evolved further still, we really need someone to come and put it altogether and help us get the right story elements, arcs and adventure into each chapter.

Lead Writer
It will be your job to bring the whole story together into a meaningful journey. We're not expecting you to focus on dialogue, rather help us structure the story itself and write a decent guideline of the entire storyline for the rest of the team to follow and work from. At present, this does not exist in any full form. It will be your job to turn what exists of the story into a workable format that we can later, as a team, break down and create chapters from.

You should be: A competent writer who's first language is English. If you're American and a fan of Indy that is also a plus, but not essential. You should have an very good grasp of story structure. We would also hope you have an understanding of game design, as we must be able to make compromises in the script with what's actually possible to do on screen.

Please note. We will also welcome your ideas. You'll definitely have input in how the story unfolds, locations and such. We do not want to "change" the story but we are certainly open to your interpretation of it, and if you feel it requires more or less, we'll listen. You will have certain control over what happens in the game.

This position is open to one person, possibly 2.

How to apply:
> Send me an email (no PM's please) to mark at screen7.co.uk with subject "Fountain of Youth lead writer"
> Include any previous writing and game credits
> You will be asked to submit a sample of your writing (no more than 500 words) after this initial contact

Additional writers
Several positions here for people who want to write hotspot descriptions and other lines of text that feature in the game. It will also be your task to do some researching into the objects, scenarios and locations in the game to help bring meaningful dialogue, descriptions and other written elements within the game.

This position is open to 2 to 6 people.

How to apply:
> Send me an email (no PM's please) to mark at screen7.co.uk with subject "Fountain of Youth additional writer"
> Include any previous writing and game credits
> You will be asked to submit a sample of your writing (no more than 100 words) after this initial contact

FURTHER INFORMATION:
We are in the thick of developing & finishing Chapter 1 at the moment. The team meet once a week on Skype to discuss progress, ideas and move the development forward. We would expect you to be able to make some of these meetings or at least keep up to date with them by reading the transcripts.

We're looking for people who can dedicate a couple of hours a week on their role for the game. We certainly don't want you to have a meltdown over it ;) If you are passionate about writing, we'd certainly like to hear from you. It's a free game so there is no payment, but you will of course get credit, and everything else that comes with an anticipated game release.

Myself and the FoY team look forward to hearing from you, thanks for reading!

Other available positions
We're always in need of people to:
- Draw sketches of locations and scenes for help with the design of the game
- Sprite artists and animators

Feel free to get in touch via email (see above) with some samples, please.

Thanks for reading, folks of The Raven :)

Please note: The website is somewhat out of date. We hope to fix it up soon (though we seriously are focusing mostly on the games development)

regards,
Mark "Mods" Lovegrove

Stoo

Wow, this project began +10 years ago!

Looking for writers? Perhaps your team missed the post (in the other "Fountain of Youth" thread) from a published writer who was willing to contribute. Granted, his reply was 5 years ago but it might be worth a shot to contact him.

Fountain of Youth game (See: post #19)

Good luck.:hat: