Deirdre Campbell

whipwarrior

If anyone is interested, here is an in-depth interview that I conducted with Rob MacGregor about Seven Veils. Warning: contains spoilers if you haven't read it. Enjoy! :)

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Reply from Rob MacGregor

From Rob MacGregor:

I know a guy who, at last count, had read Seven Veils 66 times, largely because of his fascination with Deirdre Campbell. He went on to find a Deirdre look-alike girlfriend who eventually became his wife. Kind of scary, but a true story.

Odd questions about pics of Deirdre. The only source of such a picture, other than the cover of the third book, would be the cover artist Drew Struzan.

Feanor

For me, she looks nothing like on that cover from "the seven veils".

That's what i thought when i first looked at it.

I pictured her more like Erin Chambers. At least the face.

But i guess that's different for everybody who read a book and pictures a character.

If people who never saw the indy films read a indy book and read the description nobody sees his face.
And it's not essential that you do.

But marrying somebody just because she is a look alike? For me there is more to it than that.

Odd that they didn't read each others books. I've just finished reading Secret of the Sphinx and Indy outright said that he hadn't been married before.

Feanor

Well, just because some author decided Indy should marry, the others don't have to follow.

Also there are over 20 different books about him, from various writers.

The can't all read each other books (would increase the sales figures though *gg*) and write according to to facts of the others.

I guess they do it to a certain point, like in other series (like Star Wars).
But it get's more difficult along with the increasing numbers of books, facts and authors.

Not sure though.

Maybe someone knows for sure if the just can write what they want or if they have to ask first.
I bet someone can.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, when Caiden took over from MacGregor, he did mention Deirdre in his books and her being the reason why Indy has no love life in "Sky Pirates" and "White Witch." Ok, you have Gale, but NOTHING HAPPENS.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Aaron H said:
James, it seems like you need to fire our good friend Drew an email.:)

Already waiting to hear back from him. Should be fun to learn and will share when I can.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
and now for that reply from artist Drew Struzan:

I needed a girl to support the story and one from the period in style or looks. This girl fit the bill for me where ever she came from and I never looked back. Blow me down if there isn't any more to it than that and if I don't have memory on anything more specific. If she is fulfilling someone's fantasy or is some kind of inspiration to another, so much the better.

Junior Jones

Edward The Head said:
Odd that they didn't read each others books. I've just finished reading Secret of the Sphinx and Indy outright said that he hadn't been married before.

That's a contradiction that's easy to explain: Indy lied. Maybe he didn't want to have to explain, or maybe he didn't want to dig up old feelings again.

IndyBuff

Junior Jones said:
That's a contradiction that's easy to explain: Indy lied. Maybe he didn't want to have to explain, or maybe he didn't want to dig up old feelings again.

That was always my assumption too.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
But, here's the thing I don't get... In Raiders, it has been 10 years since Marion last saw Indy... That makes it 1926. He married Deirdre in 1925 if memory serves. After what happened with Deirdre, how could Indy have had a fling if he was sooooo upset about Deirdre's death? Did Marion remind him of Deirdre, because she was young and an archaeologist's daughter?

Feanor

That's easy.
Raiders, which played 1926, came out 1981 and was written by Lucas.
Dance of the Giants played 1925 but came out 10 years later. Also it was written by McGregor.

So Lucas couldn't consider Indys loss in his book.

But not taking that into account, I guess you could be right.
We never know his motives.

Maybe he just wanted to distract himself. Or he really cared about her. That can happen 20 years ot twenty days after your first true love died.

Ot that's just how Indy is portrayed in the books/film.
Kinda like the James Bond of archaeology. A new girl in almost every new book.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Shipwreck said:
Readers of my Indy tales might be interested in my upcoming novel, Romancing the Raven. It's a time travel story takiing place in present day New York City and New York of the 1830s. There's no Indiana Jones in the tale, but there is another well known, mysterious character named Edgar Allan Poe. The novel will be out in December and can be ordered early on Amazon.com.

Rob MacGregor
www.robmacgregor.net[/I]

Just finished reading Rob's new book, "Romancing the Raven" - Time travel and Edgar Allen Poe - very cool. You can read about it HERE.

darthsidious42

Feanor said:
That's easy.
Raiders, which played 1926, came out 1981 and was written by Lucas.
Dance of the Giants played 1925 but came out 10 years later. Also it was written by McGregor.

So Lucas couldn't consider Indys loss in his book.

But not taking that into account, I guess you could be right.
We never know his motives.

Maybe he just wanted to distract himself. Or he really cared about her. That can happen 20 years ot twenty days after your first true love died.

Ot that's just how Indy is portrayed in the books/film.
Kinda like the James Bond of archaeology. A new girl in almost every new book.
Raiders was 1936 not 1926

IAdventurer01

I think Indy was beginning to get over Deidre in the Genesis Deluge, which I believe was 1927 as well. Also keeping in mind that Marion probably thought that their relations were more serious than he did, I see no problem with the time line as it is to the novels.

HovitosKing

Violet Indy said:
But, here's the thing I don't get... In Raiders, it has been 10 years since Marion last saw Indy... That makes it 1926. He married Deirdre in 1925 if memory serves. After what happened with Deirdre, how could Indy have had a fling if he was sooooo upset about Deirdre's death? Did Marion remind him of Deirdre, because she was young and an archaeologist's daughter?

Indy and Marion go way back, since before he met Deirdre. Indy and Marion had a troubled, on-and-off relationship over the course of several years, which was re-kindled shortly after Deirdre's death due to Indy's intense feelings of loss, regret, and the need to return to a familiar place. The feelings passed and Indy moved on, leaving Marion lost and confused. She always knew he'd come walking back through her doors.

Any holes in this theory?

Twilightpro101

I agree with HovitosKing. I know that's simple but human logic usually operates that way, but then again I'm still looking for these books and I'm going off what you all have said.