Toy Fair Coverage

Deckard

Perhilion said:
It doesn't look like he enjoys it. Maybe that's him punishing you when you lose...

All I know, is if it doesn't say "HARRISON FORD NOT INCLUDED" somewhere on that box, Im suing.

tnswman

Shemp said:
Look at the artifacts that come with it. The Ark, The Sankara Atones, and The Grail. No skull?

DUH, You gotta find the skull silly. The others are already in your cario at home :)

Shemp

tnswman said:
DUH, You gotta find the skull silly. The others are already in your cario at home :)

Well I know is that them artifacts are gonna make some great action figure accessories ;) !

metalinvader

Rebelscum has a Hasbro Toy fair Q and A..
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbros_QA_Toy_Fair_Edition_112506.asp

Here is all the Indy questions..

Question: Will there be any figures from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles included in the Indiana Jones line?

Hasbro: There are some big plans for the Indiana Jones line, but the focus is primarily on the movies. This is planned as an ongojng toy line. It's not a "one and done" line, so there may be opportunities later on for some characters to be included, although there is some concern that there aren't many characters to bring out as action figures. There are more ideas coming that fans are sure to like beyond what has been shown this weekend.

Question: Will Dr. Henry Jones be done as a figure? What about a Temple of Doom playset?

Hasbro: Yes to Dr. Henry Jones, no to Temple of Doom. A Well of Souls playset would most likely come first.

Question: What about Indiana Jones exclusives?

Hasbro: SDCC will have a Mighty Muggs fertility idol, plus there has been discussion of fall exclusives.

Question: Will Indiana Jones have any role play toys?

Hasbro: Yes, Indy's whip and Mutt's sword.

Well,Yay to the Well of Souls playset.
and Nay to the no on the TOD playset and BIG nay on the plan for exclusives.

Shemp

Sad to hear no ToD playset. Happy about Well of Souls playset, and Henry, Sr. figure. There are some custom wizards on here, so I bet one of them will cook up a ToD playset.

Arab Swordsman

Yeah, gee, why would Hasbro make something that all Indy fans are dying to buy? I just don't get some of the decisions companies make. I'm a Raiders fan but a Well of Souls playset does nothing for me. I know TOD is dark but it's not like it's Faces of Death. Someone at Hasbro needs to get the feedback that TOD stuff is going to sell.

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:
Yeah, gee, why would Hasbro make something that all Indy fans are dying to buy? I just don't get some of the decisions companies make. I'm a Raiders fan but a Well of Souls playset does nothing for me. I know TOD is dark but it's not like it's Faces of Death. Someone at Hasbro needs to get the feedback that TOD stuff is going to sell.

hey now...Well of soul's FIRST!! not ONLY!! let's show hasbro these will sell and I GUARANTEE they will make a TOD playset.. Probably for the 09 christmas season. well of souls will be a Medium sized set for around $30 and the TOD should cost $50-$60 to get all that we need out of it.

To me this is the most promising news yet for the line.

Matt

tnswman said:
hey now...Well of soul's FIRST!! not ONLY!! let's show hasbro these will sell and I GUARANTEE they will make a TOD playset.. Probably for the 09 christmas season. well of souls will be a Medium sized set for around $30 and the TOD should cost $50-$60 to get all that we need out of it.

To me this is the most promising news yet for the line.

Let's get real:

Hasbro is not gonna be releasing a $50-60 playset based on the 24-year-old, least-popular installment of the series. Not this year, not next year, not ever.

Hell, they don't even have enough faith in the franchise to do a brand new playset for the new movie--instead recycling a three year old Star Wars playset that was pretty awful to begin with.

I wouldn't rule out some type of smaller Temple of Doom set piece from Hasbro--similar to what they're doing in the Deluxe line--but a huge, actual Temple of Doom playset is just not gonna be happening. Not from Hasbro, anyway. Best to make your own, or hope that some other company does it instead.

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Deckard said:
Gentle Giant's Indy Crate w/ Artifacts

http://tf08.figures.com/showgallery.php?cat=691

Perhaps to compliment the 7" park figure?

Some more intel on the Gentle Giant crate:
Basically, it's a paperweight of the crate from the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull teaser poster. Just a wooden crate that says "Property of Dr. Jones" on the side, with his trademark fedora and whip hanging on the corner. What's inside the crate, however, is where the good stuff is. Apparently there will be 3 different versions (blind packed, of course) that will each contain different "artifacts" from all of the films. Each crate will contain some rubber snakes, and then you will either get a) the Golden Idol and an Egyptian tablet, b) the Sankara Stones and the Holy Grail, or c) the Crystal Skull (which I was not allowed to photograph).

tnswman

Matt said:
Let's get real:

Hasbro is not gonna be releasing a $50-60 playset based on the 24-year-old, least-popular installment of the series. Not this year, not next year, not ever.

Hell, they don't even have enough faith in the franchise to do a brand new playset for the new movie--instead recycling a three year old Star Wars playset that was pretty awful to begin with.

I wouldn't rule out some type of smaller Temple of Doom set piece from Hasbro--similar to what they're doing in the Deluxe line--but a huge, actual Temple of Doom playset is just not gonna be happening. Not from Hasbro, anyway. Best to make your own, or hope that some other company does it instead.

HA!!! If Hasbro will re-issue vehicles at $100 and create NEW vehicles for $50+ for SW... then I GUARANTEE that they will look at making a retailer exclusive TOD playset

You really don't have a clue as to what the Brand means do you? If sales are bad, I GUARANTEE they won't do a TOD playset.. However, Since EVERYTHING in the Indy live is pretty much new minus the KOTCS playset ( which makes sense to test the waters) then the yHAVE to create a new tool forthe TOD playset. $50-$60 is NOTHING to buyers today NOTHING!! retailers think NOTHINg about retailing a $100 re-issue vehicle... A $50+ playset is a DREAM exclusive.

tnswman

Matt said:
Let's get real:

To repeat the so called "fact" that TOD is the least liked movie, shows you are new here....Go back and look at which figures are requested MOST!! then look around the other threads and you will see that TOD is NOT the least favorite!!

If the Collectors do as we are supposed to, Hasbro will reward us.. YES, we will have to pay. However, the playset is a MAJOR possibility.

You also need to realize that the DELUXE line is an ACTION figure accessory, NOT a playset!

Matt

tnswman said:
HA!!! If Hasbro will re-issue vehicles at $100 and create NEW vehicles for $50+ for SW... then I GUARANTEE that they will look at making a retailer exclusive TOD playset

I, too, guarantee they will look at a Temple of Doom playset. They probably already have. And then I guarantee they will all look around the board room at each other and say "not in a million years." And then they'll all have a good laugh before getting back to the more realistic ideas.

You really don't have a clue as to what the Brand means do you? If sales are bad, I GUARANTEE they won't do a TOD playset.. However, Since EVERYTHING in the Indy live is pretty much new minus the KOTCS playset ( which makes sense to test the waters) then the yHAVE to create a new tool forthe TOD playset. $50-$60 is NOTHING to buyers today NOTHING!! retailers think NOTHINg about retailing a $100 re-issue vehicle... A $50+ playset is a DREAM exclusive.

Sales of Star Wars have been great for years, and how many brand-new $50+ playsets have they made for that line? And Star Wars is a proven commodity, with a huge fanbase, made up of kids and collectors alike. (But I suppose I really don't have a clue as to what the Brand means there, either, even though I've been into it since the beginning, thirteen years ago.)

tnswman said:
To repeat the so called "fact" that TOD is the least liked movie, shows you are new here....Go back and look at which figures are requested MOST!! then look around the other threads and you will see that TOD is NOT the least favorite!!

Right. . . and we're on an Indiana Jones message board. I'm not talking about superfans and collectors. I'm talking about the average person, the average mom or dad, buying stuff for their kid. 'Cause that's who Hasbro has to sell this stuff to, not us. Not the people on this message board. We're already buying everything they make. No, ask the average person--the people in your office, maybe--what their favorite Indy movie is, and most of them are gonna say either Raiders or Last Crusade. Temple of Doom will come in last, every time. And that's what I was getting at. Me being "new" here has nothing to do with it. (On that note, I guess I have to be here for nine months to become an expert on anything and everything, such as yourself.)

If the Collectors do as we are supposed to, Hasbro will reward us..

Just like how they've rewarded Star Wars collectors, who have been "doing as they are supposed to" for years now, with all kinds of $50+ playsets?

YES, we will have to pay. However, the playset is a MAJOR possibility.

It's a possibility in the same way that Harrison Ford stopping by my house to use the bathroom is a possibility.

You also need to realize that the DELUXE line is an ACTION figure accessory, NOT a playset!

I, uh, do realize that, thanks. That's what I'm saying--there's a better chance to get little, mini-Temple of Doom set pieces as part of the Deluxe line, as opposed to a giant Temple of Doom playset. Just like what they've done with the Raiders Temple.

Anymore, Hasbro's all about little set pieces now. Big accessories packed in with figures, or in deluxe sets. The days of the big, expensive playsets are long past.

Last edited:

MaxPhactor23

tnswman said:

Christ, you're so ludicrously nasty sometimes. What’s with your awful attitude? You’re so ridiculously arrogant that if someone so much as disagrees with you then you fly off on a tangent. Face fact: you’re neither psychic nor always correct. Get over it! You really must be incredibly insecure if you continually interpret someone’s different opinion as an attack. So you know some useless trivia about toys. Whoa! We’re all bowing down?!? Only in your mind! Master something less trivial and then you’ll impress me - otherwise I recommend a stern priority check. The fact that toys are so impressive to you would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic. It’s a hobby - not a lifestyle.

And speak for yourself. I’m a college kid! Do you honestly think that I’m going to constantly spend $50 on toys? Honestly? That’s nothing to me?!? I’m not even all that broke!!! Excuse us if we’re not so sheepishly dense that we’ll brainlessly be lead to the slaughter by a greed consumed toy company. I apologize for being critical of action figures. How dare we dislike a sculpt that could be so infantile improved! You’re everything that’s wrong with collecting. Your drone mentality is shamefully insulting to this so-called civilization. I’ve got bills to pay - not shelves to fill with cheap and overpriced pieces of mostly poorly sculpted plastic.

Matt’s argument utterly pwned you!

Last edited:

Niteshade007

I have to agree with Matt on this one. I'm not a collector by any means, but he's right when he says that Star Wars has a much, much, MUCH larger fan base than Indiana Jones. Therefore, it's less risky for them to make sets or figures for that film.

Indiana Jones collectors "doing what they're supposed to do" doesn't really mean that you will get everything you want from this toy line. In fact, it means nothing other than the fact that you will be giving Hasbro your money. After that, they owe you nothing. You bought the figure/playset/whatever, and they don't have to do anything else for you.

Obviously if it's successful, then yeah, we'll see more figures. I think that's fairly obvious. However, playsets seem to be pretty much out, and while $60 may be nothing to spend for the average collector, for the average family with kids, a $60 playset from a movie that isn't that popular to begin with probably won't fly off the shelves. I think you need to detach yourself from the situation a little more and think about it as average consumer as opposed to an Indy fan.

tnswman

You are right.. Hasbro rewards the SW collectors with the STUPID $50+ vehicles that MEAN NOTHING to the Indy line.. It is EASY for Hasbro to re-issue the same vehicle for SW.

EVERYTHING in the IJ line is pretty much new tooling.. PLUS, Hasbro knows that Indy needs environments like SW needs Vehicles.

Just wait until you see the TOD playset in this line to say you were wrong.. I can wait.

I Love how you think these Collector boards mean nothing LOL!! Do you even listen to what Hasbro has said? IJ is part Collector line too....Which means that the playsets could be collector themed and end up being exclusives. You know, Like the shuttle T. You really need to LISTEN TO WHAT HASBRO HAS SAID ABOUT THIS LINE before you disregard the collectors....The Collector end of this line will be handled in a VERY SPECIFIC way and not MASS RETAIL....We could FOR SURE see a $60+ playset at HasbrotoyShop.com just like the Gi Joe DTC exclusives.

ANYTHING is possible in the IJ line as long as we show interest and pull the right strings. Having ignorant views and simply NOT listening to Hasbro is not going to work. If ANY of you new readers here think that TOD is not LOVED.. You are soooo stuck on your own opinion that you can't see the facts.

My Goodness, this is NOT hard!!

ForbiddenEye

He does have a point though. The days of huge over-the-top playsets has sadly, long sinced past.
:(

and really, the Temple of Doom WAS an over-the-top playset. I mean, mine carts, opening trap door, pit of lava, lowering cage-action, and light-up stones! If you hadn't watched the movie you'd have thought that I described an action playset. (Kali not included)

I really hope we'll get one-but I'm VERY doubtful in the big huge playset it NEEDS to be.

Right now we should just be focused on what we REALLY need: 12'' Scale Short round!

(y)

tnswman

MaxPhactor23 said:
Christ, you're so ludicrously nasty sometimes. What?s with your awful attitude? You?re so ridiculously arrogant that if someone so much as disagrees with you then you fly off on a tangent. Face fact: you?re neither psychic nor always correct. Get over it! You really must be incredibly insecure if you continually interpret someone?s different opinion as an attack. So you know some useless trivia about toys. Whoa! We?re all bowing down?!? Only in your mind! Master something less trivial and then you?ll impress me - otherwise I recommend a stern priority check. The fact that toys are so impressive to you would be funny if it wasn?t so pathetic. It?s a hobby - not a lifestyle.

And speak for yourself. I?m a college kid! Do you honestly think that I?m going to constantly spend $50 on toys? Honestly? That?s nothing to me?!? I?m not even all that broke!!! Excuse us if we?re not so sheepishly dense that we?ll brainlessly be lead to the slaughter by a greed consumed toy company. I apologize for being critical of action figures. How dare we dislike a sculpt that could be so infantile improved! You?re everything that?s wrong with collecting. Your drone mentality is shamefully insulting to this so-called civilization. I?ve got bills to pay - not shelves to fill with cheap and overpriced pieces of mostly poorly sculpted plastic.

Matt?s argument utterly pwned you!

Owned me? Yea, you are in college...And How was I flying off on a tangent by simply highlighting the simple facts that a user with 6 posts was inaccurate about? Being as I am out of college, I can pay my bills and buy PLENTY of $60+ playsets. It's what I do... Thankfully, there are PLENTY of people like me....If you are telling us you would not buy a TOD playset that is collector based...well, you just are not a super fan or you are a liar...Your pick..either one fits your personality...which is fine. Just don't try to overthink other people.

How is a ONE TIME $60 playset speanding $60 constantly? HUH?

You new collectors have had it MADE ...HAND FED by Hasbro and you still are so naive that it is sickening. My GOD!! WHOLE Action figure lines are based upon Collectors wishes in this age. REally do you even keep up with ANY of the news?

PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT HASBRO IS SAYING!! Learn how to read between the lines....Did Hasbro say NO to the TOD playset? NAH! they said the WELL of SOULS would be 1st!! Not the ONLY playset. Then to confuse a PLAYSET with a DELUXE figure is just simple ignorance of the line...Nothing wrong with that it just has to be pointed out.

What I try to do is keep negative people like you guys from brainwashing the general collecting public on here who NEED to VOICE their wants and desires to HASBRO!!

Look at what the Collector's have pulled in SW and tell me I'm Wrong.....Just because Playsets DO NOT work in SW does NOT mean a thing when it comes to IJ. Knowing that we are getting two playsets on the block already is proof of that. Plus, SW had it's chance at playsets. Instad of a cool new playset, the SW collectors like $60-$100+ re-issued ( EXCLUSIVE )vehicles better ( Shuttle T., AT-AT, M Falcon) remember those?

tnswman

ForbiddenEye said:
He does have a point though. The days of huge over-the-top playsets has sadly, long sinced past.
:(

and really, the Temple of Doom WAS an over-the-top playset. I mean, mine carts, opening trap door, pit of lava, lowering cage-action, and light-up stones! If you hadn't watched the movie you'd have thought that I described an action playset. (Kali not included)

I really hope we'll get one-but I'm VERY doubtful in the big huge playset it NEEDS to be.

Right now we should just be focused on what we REALLY need: 12'' Scale Short round!

(y)

I'm not saying the TOD playset won't have it's limits....You have to sacrifice some points of interest to keep the price within the range HASBRO wants.

It will be more of a display ( with few action features ) I'm sure.

You folks do realize that the Ultimate playset from Hasbro is pretty pricey for a 1/64th scale playset right? Hasbro is testing the waters BIG TIME with us. It is UP TO US to communicate with them.

They are all but begging collectors to come forward with their thoughts and ideas.

The across the board recent frustration at the supposed LACK of TOD figures shows that Collectors CAN NOT do without the basic TOD figures which the playset would revolve around by the way.

Niteshade007

tnswman said:
ANYTHING is possible in the IJ line as long as we show interest and pull the right strings. Having ignorant views and simply NOT listening to Hasbro is not going to work. If ANY of you new readers here think that TOD is not LOVED.. You are soooo stuck on your own opinion that you can't see the facts.

Those last few sentences have a certain ring of irony to them.

I actually like Temple of Doom more than Last Crusade, so me being too stuck on my own opinion just isn't true, but even if I didn't care for it, I can't see how that would make your argument any stronger.

Yes, collectors are kept in mind with this line, Hasbro has said that. They have also said no to Temple of Doom playset. So it shouldn't be hard for you to understand that you probably won't be getting a Temple of Doom playset.

Clearly you are passionate about toys and I hope that you get what you want, I just wouldn't be such an ass about it.