Mad Max: Fury Road

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Gets the Doctor's seal of approval. (y)

I haven't seen the flick yet, my good friends.... sigh...

But the question is, what does the Dr.'s seal of approval look like?

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
I haven't seen the flick yet, my good friends.... sigh...

But the question is, what does the Dr.'s seal of approval look like?

There are several but I'm partial to this one at the moment...
makers_mark_wax.jpg

Z dweller

Wow... I must confess this wasn't on my radar, but with reviews like these from esteemed fellow Raveners now it sounds like a must!

Glenville86

I watched it. The movie is pretty typical of modern action movies where it is pretty much nonstop action without much character development and plot.

It is the best Mad Max movie that has been made in my opinion. I enjoyed watching it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Glenville86 said:
...without much character development and plot.

It is the best Mad Max movie that has been made in my opinion. I enjoyed watching it.

I like this part, what would be a character arc for said titular angry Maximilian?

roundshort

OK so this happened to be showing in my towns 102 year old single screen movie theater. http://www.cameocinema.com which is the greatest place to see a movie. So we went.

I have been pretty negative on this. the movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. Still too clean to have the great grit of the first 2 Mad Max movies - but not a CGI s***storm. They let Max talk a bit too much. But a solid B to B+ This should be seen on a big screen with great sound. If this is the only big budget summer flick I see I will be happy.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
OK so this happened to be showing in my towns 102 year old single screen movie theater. http://www.cameocinema.com which is the greatest place to see a movie. So we went.

I have been pretty negative on this. the movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. Still too clean to have the great grit of the first 2 Mad Max movies - but not a CGI s***storm. They let Max talk a bit too much. But a solid B to B+ This should be seen on a big screen with great sound. If this is the only big budget summer flick I see I will be happy.

I'm going to call B*** S*** on this one.

First: "[G]reatest place to see a movie."

I thought your preference was for a venue at a higher altitude.

. . .and second, I don't think the film was too clean. I think Theron just gave everything a nice healthy glow. Say what you will about Sean Penn but he has incredible taste (and luck) with the ladies.

Agreed on Max talking too much. And I'd give it an A- because of the opening intensity. We live a world that is a cinematic wasteland and this was a notch above the work of all but a few of the best young talents.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
I'm going to call B*** S*** on this one.

First: "[G]reatest place to see a movie."

I thought your preference was for a venue at a higher altitude.

. . .and second, I don't think the film was too clean. I think Theron just gave everything a nice healthy glow. Say what you will about Sean Penn but he has incredible taste (and luck) with the ladies.

Agreed on Max talking too much. And I'd give it an A- because of the opening intensity. We live a world that is a cinematic wasteland and this was a notch above the work of all but a few of the best young talents.

Sorry since the Cameo had the major update (including Dolby Atmos and one of the best projectors in the nations) it is the best. It also has these cool love seats so you can be extra close to that someone special) And as it is in St. Helena the heart of Napa Valley the snacks (homemade cookies, local gelato, and the best popcorn anywhere) are tops.

I am still sticking with a B to B+ Good movie and a nice return to practical stunts.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
...Yes, Tom Hardy is no Mel Gibson and the critics that are crowing on this point have really got it wrong. Hardy is no Mel Gibson and he doesn't need to be because Theron adds a whole new dimension. It's bona fide on-screen magic for the apocalypse when those two connect and wordlessly come to an understanding.

Pale, I'll be interested in your take. It was money well spent.

I watched this with the wifey last night, on the big screen (thankfully) and was duly impressed at how Miller was able to create anticipation and anxiety in the both of us. (I'm a cinematic cynic). The Stunts, both visceral and CGI were just beyond that of believability, but never entered into the "Oh Come On?!" realms, to the point that it was appreciated and exactly what you alluded to in in your "action fatigue" critique. It was near perfect in that regard.

What I struggled with, and perhaps this is because of my unfamiliarity with the first two films in the series, is the character arc of those involved. Oddly enough, I needed just a little more story. I think perhaps some ended up on the editing room floor. I'd love to know a tad more of Immoten Joes motives, beyond that which we can infer. I'd love to know why the War Boys are so damn loyal to their messiah. How did the War Boys, People Eaters and Bullet Farmers form factions and is Gas Town really that benevolent? Maybe I'm asking too much from an action film, but as Alan Rickman in Die Hard showed us, you can get backstory in narrative action without upending the suspense. From that regard, Fury Road gets a B- from me, because it made me work to get some of those answers.

Joe Brody said:

I hope the Academy doesn't overlook this film in regards to Cinematography. It's a gem and I think it played Contrast well, visually. Makes me want to seek out Seale's other works. As to Sean Penn, I'll remind you he beat up Madonna. No commentary on that in any other context, save "luck, you say" Did he even date Theron?

He did talk too much, and yet not enough. His lines seemed random at times, and not connected to his purpose. I think that's the influence of McCarthy and Lathouris, in that too many cooks spoil the dialogue. It seems disjointed in motivation, and therefore leads me to believe it was a result of the rewrites and re-shoots.

The Stranger said:
I went to see it this sunday, and I was literally blown away.
Damn, what a ride it is. Definitely far better than all of the previous three put together, and mind that I've always loved Road Warrior a big time. Big big time.

This is just basically blockbuster cinema at its best. The finest and purest example of it. An old school action adventure piece of art, that seems to be coming directly out from the 80s, but after having been upgraded to the special effects and cinematography of 2015. It's as daring as a modern movie could be, because it's crude, violent and someway disturbing, soooo welcoming back the R rating to the mainstream. Hope it gets it done.

Despite all my couch critique, I share this passion about it. At least, appreciate it. I too recommend it as a solid piece of film making.

Tom Hardy is the man. He plays the perfect Mad Max, making him look even more badass than he was back in the days. More mature, more introspective, much more dangerous. And hail to Charlize Theron for having brought to life one of the best "warrior woman" character in history. Their chemistry together is simply uncomparable, especially considering that most of their relationship is based only on eye contact and gestuality, with hardly any words at all.

But here, I found the connection tenuous. After a kick-ass domestic sequence, that blows away Mr. and Mrs. Smith, suddenly they're all lovie-dovie? I didn't buy it. At all. Sure, the chemistry is there onscreen, but how it developed was woefully absent. I didn't like that at all.

I guess in the end, I'll side will all y'all, it's a good flick. Probably not one though, that I'd put in my digital/DVD library. I just wasn't moved by the characters enough.