NOW... at long last... will the Indy V news be imminent?!

BrodyIsDead

Does anyone else reckon that now that Staff of Kings is finally coming out, and then once the publicity is over for that, we may finally get some sort of announcement from Lucasfilm about whether Indy V is a go-project? :confused:

I was just thinking that maybe the big man in the beard wouldn't want to overshadow the new game with an announcement of the film until that's out - a "one thing at a time" sort of approach - certainly makes sense from a businessman's plan point of view, as we know Mr Lucas does very well... ;)

Anyway, hopefully there's some hope still for Indy V (y)

-----------------------------------

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy :gun:

Morning Bell

It would be nice but I wouldn't count on it. We were lucky enough to finally get Indy IV and, while I'd be thrilled to get another one, it's pretty unlikely. It just doesn't seem like a priority for anyone at this point.

Jono11

Morning Bell said:
It would be nice but I wouldn't count on it. We were lucky enough to finally get Indy IV and, while I'd be thrilled to get another one, it's pretty unlikely. It just doesn't seem like a priority for anyone at this point.
Does George Lucas generally work on stories and scripts for films he doesn't plan to make?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jono11 said:
Does George Lucas generally work on stories and scripts for films he doesn't plan to make?

Most filmmakers (and artists generally) have projects that never get off the ground. Best laid plans and all.

IndyForever

I think it will still happen as remember Indy4 was the No1 movie of 2008 @ the international box office. It made $1M more than TDK and Indy is still a very popular character that people are not tired of seeing his adventures.

Lucas & Spielberg know Indy is still very popular and along with Ford all 3 pocketed well over $100M each. The credit crunch would have affected their investments a lot so if Lucas can get the right artifact to chase then Spielberg knows he can rely on Koepp to turn it into something filmable like he did on Indy4. Ford has said he will be available if the script is right. For sure money is not the main reason they would make an Indy5 but it lets them know the moviegoing public demand more Indy.

One thing which complicates this a bit is that Spielberg criticised the chinese goverment last summer which meant Indy 4 did not even get released in China at all. I'm guessing Lucas would like to go to the far east for Indy5 as he has said many times he likes to repeat or revisit concepts so as Indy2 was on another continent you can bet he wants Indy5 to be the same as Lucas is pretty consistent in his approach.

Few months ago Lucas said he is still working on the artifact idea to MTV so who knows how that is going as Lucasfilm researchers have been looking into it since summer 2008.

I think if nothing happens in the next year its over so lets hope they can work this out soon.

Dewy9

I personally have a feeling that we'll be hearing news of Indy on screen soon... in an animated form. Rather than explain why they should/would, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't do it. In about a year or two, we should start hearing what the next project for the Lucasfilm Animation will be, since George has planned for The Clone Wars to run around 5 years.

Morning Bell

Dewy9 said:
I personally have a feeling that we'll be hearing news of Indy on screen soon... in an animated form. Rather than explain why they should/would, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't do it. In about a year or two, we should start hearing what the next project for the Lucasfilm Animation will be, since George has planned for The Clone Wars to run around 5 years.

It's possible, although I remember a quote from Ford saying that he would prefer to make another live-action film and keep the series in the same format that they've always done.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyForever said:
I think it will still happen as remember Indy4 was the No1 movie of 2008 @ the international box office. It made $1M more than TDK and Indy is still a very popular character that people are not tired of seeing his adventures.

Lucas & Spielberg know Indy is still very popular and along with Ford all 3 pocketed well over $100M each. The credit crunch would have affected their investments a lot so if Lucas can get the right artifact to chase then Spielberg knows he can rely on Koepp to turn it into something filmable like he did on Indy4. Ford has said he will be available if the script is right. For sure money is not the main reason they would make an Indy5 but it lets them know the moviegoing public demand more Indy.

One thing which complicates this a bit is that Spielberg criticised the chinese goverment last summer which meant Indy 4 did not even get released in China at all. I'm guessing Lucas would like to go to the far east for Indy5 as he has said many times he likes to repeat or revisit concepts so as Indy2 was on another continent you can bet he wants Indy5 to be the same as Lucas is pretty consistent in his approach.

Few months ago Lucas said he is still working on the artifact idea to MTV so who knows how that is going as Lucasfilm researchers have been looking into it since summer 2008.

I think if nothing happens in the next year its over so lets hope they can work this out soon.

Why should Koepp be in the loop for Indy V though? I mean, the trilogy were all written by different writers. And frankly, I would rather see a different writer get a shot, especially since Koepp had to ask for help for Indy/Marion dialogue from Kasdan. And that repartee between Indy and Marion in Skull advised by Kasdan was by far, the better lines in the film and frankly, closer to the original three than the rest of the film's dialogue. That's enough proof for me, that Kasdan still has it in him and could be good for penning another Indy film.

I doubt there'll be another Indy film and though it would make me sad, I do think Indy is just going to sit on the shelf and gather dust in the end along side the Ark, the Stones, the Grail and the Skull. Indiana Jones would just be a few good escapist movies with Raiders at the forefront, as a great film of Hollywood cinema, which was both very successful at the box office and in the pop culture front and is often quoted to be one of the 1000 films you must see before you die. The only way the series (as films) can't die is if you took a James Bond approach or if you somehow de-age HF and make him immortal using the Grail cup though the films would have to be shot in the Temple of the Sun, otherwise he'd die outside the boundaries. :p

Now, I know people are not fans of that, so if animation and game companies and comics (Dark Horse) didn't give up too easily, and actually did a decent job then I think we'd all be pretty happy as we'd all be getting what we want, continuation. And knowing Hollywood, don't be surprised in like thirty or forty years, seeing re-makes of these films just like King Solomon's Mines various remakes.

Indy's Fist

I hope if they do make another Indy movie they do it quickly. Harrison is not getting any younger. I mean he still looks great for his age, but still he's closing in on 70!

I would think that Indy V would be the last one. I should be a final send off like he deserves. The story should be around his looking for an artifact that has signifigant meaning to him. He could also have some cameos & sidekicks that would be from his past. Perhaps Short Round grown up?

Dewy9

Morning Bell said:
It's possible, although I remember a quote from Ford saying that he would prefer to make another live-action film and keep the series in the same format that they've always done.

Agreed, but he could easily go over Harrison and do the thing without him. I find it unlikely that HF would want to do voiceovers at this point in the game, although he was nearly Bob the Builder.

Col. Detritch

Why does everyone insist that Shorty comes back? It may be fun on paper but not on screen. Shorty was so cool because he was a short little boy, not a man in his twentys following Indy around like a perv. It would be weird to have Short Round return, leave hime were he is, in our memorys as the pint-size action hero he was ment to be.

As for Indy 5, in the past I have been sceptic but the idea has some how grown and become more likely. With Mr lucas constantly mentioning it as a 'fact', rather than fans hopes and even Mr Ford on board (a ryme). And now all we have to worry about is Mr Spielburg chosing to do it or not, he held up KoTCS for a while. And for those who are woored they will 'James Bond' the role, don't fear Steven has stated that Harrison IS Indiana jones and that his personallity is vital to the role. One last worry on some peoples mind about Shia taking the lead role should be set aside. Resently George Lucas has said he has reconsidered this angel and is desided not to take it(y)

As for the original question, yeah, it could be quite posible this is his angel, it might be too soon but it may not be either!:hat:

Indy's Fist

Col. Detritch said:
Why does everyone insist that Shorty comes back? It may be fun on paper but not on screen. Shorty was so cool because he was a short little boy, not a man in his twentys following Indy around like a perv. It would be weird to have Short Round return, leave hime were he is, in our memorys as the pint-size action hero he was ment to be.

As for Indy 5, in the past I have been sceptic but the idea has some how grown and become more likely. With Mr lucas constantly mentioning it as a 'fact', rather than fans hopes and even Mr Ford on board (a ryme). And now all we have to worry about is Mr Spielburg chosing to do it or not, he held up KoTCS for a while. And for those who are woored they will 'James Bond' the role, don't fear Steven has stated that Harrison IS Indiana jones and that his personallity is vital to the role. One last worry on some peoples mind about Shia taking the lead role should be set aside. Resently George Lucas has said he has reconsidered this angel and is desided not to take it(y)

As for the original question, yeah, it could be quite posible this is his angel, it might be too soon but it may not be either!:hat:

Short Round would be great because he wouldn't be a twentysomething perv. He could be a repected archaeologist helping an old friend find something that means alot to Indy. He would be repaying Indy for helping him as a kid. I mean was Sallah a perv? Marcus Broady?