Mysterious Cities of Gold

NoCamels

Found on DVD at last! :D Who here is a fan, and what do you think of the show now that you can finally re-watch it? Did it hold up to your memories? Anything new you never noticed, watching it as a kid?

I was a little bit afraid it wouldn't hold up- after all, I hadn't seen a full episode in 20 years- and I was pleasantly surprised. Having just finished my MCoG marathon, the following things stood out:

-Mendoza is a much more interesting character than I remember.
-Tao is much smarter than I remember (long story involving friends and who got to play what part.)
-really good animation for an '80s cartoon.
-I knew Nickelodeon played an edited version (I thought due to violence) but I was surprised that there was some mild swearing by bad guys too.
-I had some weird deja-vue moments when I saw parts of the show I'd forgotten. Like Esteban yelling "fly my golden condor, fly!" which was pretty much my part when we were playing.
-I was also surprised at how much I did remember. I was pretty young the last time I saw MCoG.
-I discovered, due to the special features, that the show was based on a book called The King's Fifth, by Scott O'Dell. He also wrote Island of the Blue Dolphins, a book I really liked as a kid. So now I have to find a copy of The King's Fifth (it seems to be out of print).

I still give this show a huge (y) (y) (y) Any other Mysterious Cities of Gold fans?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I remember watching this show when I was very, very young. I can remember very small snipets of the opening. It wasn't on very often. I haven't gone out to buy the DVD mostly because it doesn't hold enough sentimental value.

However, admittedly I did get Volume 1 of Chip' n' Dale: Rescue Rangers and intending on getting some Ducktales particularly the movie with the magic lamp. And did consider getting the second volume of Gumby....

The Magic Rat

Violet Indy said:
I remember watching this show when I was very, very young. I can remember very small snipets of the opening. It wasn't on very often. I haven't gone out to buy the DVD mostly because it doesn't hold enough sentimental value.

However, admittedly I did get Volume 1 of Chip' n' Dale: Rescue Rangers and intending on getting some Ducktales particularly the movie with the magic lamp. And did consider getting the second volume of Gumby....

Apparently, we have the same DVDs.

The Tingler

I have fond memories of the show (particularly the theme tune, which has been stuck in my head for about 15 years), so picked it up last year in the midst of all the Indy IV build-up.

I wish I hadn't, frankly. While all the things you mention were great, like the Studio Ghibli-esque animation, the one thing I couldn't get past was the terrible English voice acting. Every line is said far, far too fast, and it became painful to watch very quickly.

fixer79

For a moment there, reading the topic title in the 'films' section, I thought they were going to make a movie out of it :)
(Wouldn't have surprised me, actually)

Yeah, I remember the show vividly! That huge golden bird-shaped plane always fascinated me!
Great show! (y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The Magic Rat said:
Apparently, we have the same DVDs.

Ok, now that is just spooky. :eek:

Or you just could be around the same age as me.

I'll laugh so hard if you happen to have Sailor Moon DVDs too. :p

fixer79

Violet Indy said:
Ok, now that is just spooky. :eek:

Or you just could be around the same age as me.

I'll laugh so hard if you happen to have Sailor Moon DVDs too. :p

Sailor Moon? Good God, no!
I have all four seasons of Punky Brewster though... :p