The Magic Rat

In all honesty, the visuals are the best I've ever seen. No one can say otherwise, so give it to that crack team that essentially created another reality.

The plot, however, is as tired and worn as my sneakers. Some of the writing was stilted, as well.

Impressive? You bet. Excellent? Hardly.

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
While possible, I suppose, Titanic's final gross was about $1,842,880,055. That's about as close to two billion as I think we'll see (that is, unless Avatar proves to be unstoppable).

I liked it more than most people I know. The effects and 3D is definitely what its got going for itself. But personally, I didn't mind the 'cliched' story. I saw it more as a retelling in the way that Star Wars is. Both have elements you could find in any sci-fi/western/action/adventure story, but they put their own spin on it either visually or in terms of storytelling (Jake's journal, the concept of the Avatars, etc.).

I agree exactly. That's why everyone should quit whining about Cameron, who is just using concepts that everyone can relate to. That's how you tell a good story, darn it!

Montana Smith

The 'evidence' makes an interesting read!

poc2.jpg

http://www.themovieblog.com/2010/01/avatar-really-just-pocahontas

Pale Horse

Staff member
36 plots

There are only 36 possible stories in all of human drama and conflict. Just 36...(though you can break these down to as little as 12 by some accounts).

How you 're'tell the same stories over and over again is the real craft and art of storytelling.

kongisking

That article(s) posted by The Man was a fun read. I'm glad that almost every charge was found to be wrong, except for the last point, which doesn't even matter anyways, unless you are REALLY starved for something 100% new (good luck finding that, pal!).

AndyLGR

Great film, but with ticket costs in the UK of £9 for a 3D showing in comparison to £6 for a 2D showing then this will have helped it to get to where it is, thats assuming of course that the same cost ratio applied to cinemas worldwide.

I know there are websites that can adjust box office takings over the years to inflation, but I often think with these lists of top grossing movies that it would be interesting if there was ever one based on number of admissions alone.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/

DocWhiskey

The Magic Rat said:
In all honesty, the visuals are the best I've ever seen. No one can say otherwise, so give it to that crack team that essentially created another reality.

The plot, however, is as tired and worn as my sneakers. Some of the writing was stilted, as well.

Impressive? You bet. Excellent? Hardly.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm basically getting condemned for not thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread at school, work, and among friends.

It's just a movie. For all the money/praise it gets it seems should be more, but it's not.

Chicago Jones

DocWhiskey said:
My thoughts exactly.

I'm basically getting condemned for not thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread at school, work, and among friends.

It's just a movie. For all the money/praise it gets it seems should be more, but it's not.
:rolleyes:

Burke

My brother and I play our own Box Office Derby for popular or hyped releases, and honestly, we waaaaay undershot our predictions for AVATAR.

I thought it would hit big and then peter out; boy, was I wrong. Approaching the domestic record of TITANIC and will easily cross $2 billion internationally. Crazy.

AndyLGR

.....and its still selling out theatres here in the UK. If that is indicative of its worldwide performance at the moment then I think it should easily pass the $2 billion mark.

Montana Smith

Meerkat said:
And I bet I'm the only one who's trying to learn the Na'vi language...

I bet you also speak fluent Klingon... :p

I am so non-plussed about this movie. Wild horses wouldn't drag me to see it. Sometimes a film will just grab you and not let go, and other times it just holds nothing of interest. If it was on TV right now I wouldn't feel compelled to see it. What I've seen in 2D in promotions on TV just leaves me thinking: "what's the big fuss?"

I can't explain why that is.