The Soundtracks Collection - Concord

Benraianajones

The original version of the soundtrack for KOTCS doesn't have the small segment of music used at the start of the Jungle chase - which is a sped up version of Irina's theme, as Indy approaches her in the jeep as she grasps the skull in the bag.

sandiegojones

There's quite a bit of music in KOTCS from the warehouse, rocketsled, doomtown, jungle chase and other bits that are not just retreads of the Raiders March.

And no, the set was not annouced prior to the KOTCS CD release. Like I said, the TOD and the LC music on the bonus disc make it worth it, but they should be sold separate like the extended ROTLA was in the event that you own KOTCS already. Also I stated I'd be perfectly happy to buy it and get credit so I could download extra KOTCS from the internet (that would let the record label save face and still be fair). If I'm willing/forced to pay again for something I already have then they can be nice and throw a frickin' bone.

As far as getting the music from the pre-vis on the DVD, no. #1 I shouldn't have to do that if I am paying for an extended box set for soundtracks I have already have, and #2 that music in cut up and not comprehensive. There are many parts whey they trimmed and cut music to match the pre-vis since the previs was faster than the actual scenes.

EDIT:

Riddle me this Batman...now that this box set includes all of the films music, why then do we have the Raiders March with Marion's theme included on track 1 if we're getting the ROTLA disc and a bonus disc with it too? That track was included on KOTCS for those who don't own the other Indy CD's. Now it's just a waste of space and could have 5:00 minutes for other KOTCS music. This is just a cash grab. For those who don't own KOTCS is a nice bonus, but lets be real, anyone looking to buy the Indy box set likely has it already.

Last edited:

emtiem

They're just trying to offer the 'Complete' collection of soundtracks, and if KOTCS wasn't in there this thread would still be full of moaning. This set is A Good Thing. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's not as if it's expensive even.

sandiegojones

emtiem said:
They're just trying to offer the 'Complete' collection of soundtracks, and if KOTCS wasn't in there this thread would still be full of moaning. This set is A Good Thing. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's not as if it's expensive even.
If they were just offering "complete" collections like you say, then they should just release the older discs from prior releases with KOTCS. What they are selling is extended releases.

Considering many like me own the original releases for the trilogy and KOTCS, it is expensive. $50 is a lot to get what barely amounts to about 1 hour more of music for 4 films, especially since I already spent $13 for KOTCS in May and am required to own it again with not 1 second of new music. It's a double dip. My beef is not with anything provided for the older films, just KOTCS. Even if they gave us just one 5 minute track not released before for KOTCS I'd be happy.

If you read my posts, I'm not even asking them to print another disc, just to give those that want it the opportunity to download it (with proof of purcahse of the box set).

davros72

sandiegojones said:
And no, the set was not annouced prior to the KOTCS CD release.
OK, same day, I was close. http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1004&Itemid=1

I was mistaken in thinking that back when we did initally hear about the re-releases (April 2) it mentioned the fact that it was a box set including KOTCS, but that wasn't confirmed til May 20th, the day of the KOTCS CD release. http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=952&Itemid=1

And if this was just a "cash grab", they wouldn't have put any effort into this and released the 1981, 1984 and 1989 versions of the soundtracks without any extra work or bonus tracks or anything. They're trying. From what I've read in the JWFan.com forums, it sounds like the additional music is somewhat limited due to reuse fees, being able to only license 15-minute blocks of music, etc.

For more information I'd recommend reading this thread at the JWFan forums. Lots of good info and track listings analysis and more.

I understand your frustration, my friend. I was hoping for more KOTCS tracks as well, especially since Concord released that particular soundtrack you'd think they'd have best access to additional music for that film. And feel free to PM me if you want to "discuss" the pre-viz tracks. ;)

But I am grateful that we are getting so much previously-unreleased tracks and the previously-released tracks are reportedly getting a nice audio sprucing-up. I feel it's well worth even getting a second copy of KOTCS.

You could always sell your duplicate copy, or give it as a gift to someone. Or keep one for "archive purposes" in case your original copy gets scratched or lost or stolen.

sandiegojones

I'm only complaining about what we're not getting. What they've put together is great. Also, according to the article you provided the link to, they were unaware at that time that there would be the unreleased music. Since I have all of the soundtracks already that news would not have prevented me from getting KOTCS in May.

Plus, I don't frequent that site so the news of a box set didn't hit my ears until June and the contents have only recently been released. The only one I'm really "jonesing" for is the TOD disc and I wish they were sold separate.

What I don't get about the whole "license fee" thing is that some of the missing music is actually in the Lego Indy game. Why is it not an issue there?

davros72

sandiegojones said:
What I don't get about the whole "license fee" thing is that some of the missing music is actually in the Lego Indy game. Why is it not an issue there?
I'm not sure I get it entirely either, but I would guess that Concord had to pay its own reuse fees for what they wanted to release, and the Lego Indy game had to pay for the reuse fees for what they wanted to use.

IndyFan93

Darth Vile said:
Why is it not complete or good enough??? Everyone who talked about missing music from the KOTCS OST (prior to the release of the DVD) majored on the warehouse escape and the extended jungle chase. Now we have them... and because they are digital quality, it's as good as anything you could buy.
Because the Pre-Viz is like...what...5 minutes? The full Jungle Chase is 8:35--starting right at 75:00 into the movie. The Pre-Viz excludes quite a bit. I personally would love to see someone just extract that whole 8:35 from the DVD. I'd do it, but I don't know how. lol It just doesn't satisfy me, having a 4:22 Track on the OST and the incomplete Pre-Viz. =/

Darth Vile

IndyFan93 said:
Because the Pre-Viz is like...what...5 minutes? The full Jungle Chase is 8:35--starting right at 75:00 into the movie. The Pre-Viz excludes quite a bit. I personally would love to see someone just extract that whole 8:35 from the DVD. I'd do it, but I don't know how. lol It just doesn't satisfy me, having a 4:22 Track on the OST and the incomplete Pre-Viz. =/

I refer to my previous post pasted below...

"The version in the movie is basically a hybrid of the OST track and the alternate version that's on the 'pre viz' section of the DVD. So once you have both versions, you should be able to do an edit that will give you something similar to the movie edit"...

emtiem

sandiegojones said:
If they were just offering "complete" collections like you say, then they should just release the older discs from prior releases with KOTCS. What they are selling is extended releases.

Eh? That makes it more 'complete', doesn't it? More complete as it's ever been before.
Just look on it as a set of soundtracks you're paying a certain amount for and getting a free copy of KOTCS thrown in! Why aren't you moaning about all of the tracks on the Raiders cd (for example) that you already own? I don't understand where you're coming from. If they'd had to repress the KOTCS to fit in just one more track it would probably push the price up even higher.

sandiegojones said:
Considering many like me own the original releases for the trilogy and KOTCS, it is expensive. $50 is a lot to get what barely amounts to about 1 hour more of music for 4 films, especially since I already spent $13 for KOTCS in May and am required to own it again with not 1 second of new music. It's a double dip. My beef is not with anything provided for the older films, just KOTCS. Even if they gave us just one 5 minute track not released before for KOTCS I'd be happy.

The new stuff on these CDs is probably, what- 20%, 30%? If that much. If you're not happy to be paying to hear tracks you've already bought from all four of the Indiana Jones films this really ain't the set for you, whether or not the KOTCS disc is there.

Darth Vile said:
I refer to my previous post pasted below...

"The version in the movie is basically a hybrid of the OST track and the alternate version that's on the 'pre viz' section of the DVD. So once you have both versions, you should be able to do an edit that will give you something similar to the movie edit"...

I've just checked YouTube and there's definitely stuff missing- noticably the part of the Raiders march that plays as Indy drives the jeep full of Russians over a log so they all fall out isn't in the track from the pre-viz. I'm not sure what else is missing.

sandiegojones

I guess my point is that they should just sell them all separately (not just ROTLA) if they aren't going to be providing anything extra from KOTCS as they are with the others. All I really want from the set is TOD anyway.

IndyFan93

emtiem said:
I've just checked YouTube and there's definitely stuff missing- noticably the part of the Raiders march that plays as Indy drives the jeep full of Russians over a log so they all fall out isn't in the track from the pre-viz. I'm not sure what else is missing.

Yeah. Exactly. The Raiders March plays and the Duck goes over a log, and the Skull goes flying up and Oxley catches it.

It's not a hybrid version. Hybrid...no offense, but that's a load of crap. If you "edit" the two together, it's not gonna be the same at all. The version on the soundtrack is formed together from bits and pieces of the movie version. It sounds forced in many spots. The movie version is 10 times better--in my opinion anyway. It's missing A LOT.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:

Remember that the pre viz isn't perfect, and there are bits that are out of sequence and/or slightly shorter/longer. Listening to the 'Jungle Chase - Extended' track isolation, there is the Raiders march motif at 1:26, 2:02 and 2:52 (one of the best versions). Are these the bits you mean?

emtiem

It's the secondary part of the theme- the bit that plays triumphantly at the end of the truck chase or which first plays after Marion's theme in the end credits, for example- the part which Williams designed as an alternate Indy theme but Spielberg got him to combine with the other. I don't have the Jungle pre-viz track here to listen to, but all I remember that containing is quotes of the primary part of the Raiders March.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
It's the secondary part of the theme- the bit that plays triumphantly at the end of the truck chase or which first plays after Marion's theme in the end credits, for example- the part which Williams designed as an alternate Indy theme but Spielberg got him to combine with the other. I don't have the Jungle pre-viz track here to listen to, but all I remember that containing is quotes of the primary part of the Raiders March.

Oh ok... I know the bit you mean. Yep - You are correct in that there is no secondary Raiders motif in there. I'll check the DVD out and see where it appears.

Frank V

From the Intrada forum:

Hello, all. I received an advance copy of INDIANA JONES: THE SOUNDTRACKS COLLECTION and I just wanted to give you my initial impressions. Let me start by saying that an expanded Temple Of Doom was Number One on my personal list of "holy grails", so obviously I am incredibly excited to have all of this music.

But there are some production oddities about this set that make me scratch my head. The first thing that stands out to me is the "Desert Chase" from Raiders is the same stupid edited-down version that was on the original LP and first CD issue. Which means you all need to keep your DCC expanded Raiders disc.

The second thing that makes me scratch my head is that there are many cues from Temple Of Doom that were written to be cross-faded together, yet are presented as individual cues on the the CD. "The Nightclub Brawl" is written to be cross-faded into "Fast Streets Of Shanghai" for example, as is "Map/Out Of Fuel" into "Slalom On Mt. Humol", as is "Saving Willie" into "Slave Children's Crusade" into "Short Round Helps." There are many other examples of this and those who know the score will know what I'm talking about. Minor quibble? Perhaps.

Another oddity: in Last Crusade, "Belly Of The Steel Beast" is comprised of 3 cues cross-faded together. On the original CD "Belly" is comprised of part 1 and 3 (the 2nd part was omitted for the album). And now here "Belly Of The Steel Beast" is the same cue as the previous CD. The missing middle section is presented as the track right before "Belly" and is called "On The Tank." While I'm happy to have the missing music (a great piece of action music) I have to wonder why it wasn't assembled properly.

Alright, enough complaining!! "Indy's Very First Adventure" is all here now, including the fantastic moment when the guy with the fedora watches young Indy escape from the train. "Approaching The Stones" indeed includes the incredible choral music when Indy sees the stones glow. And on the bonus disc, "Uncovering The Ark" is a massive five-minute piece.

Bottom line: I can't believe I'm holding in my hands my top-wanted grail of film music after 24 years of waiting. "Hang on lady, we going for a ride!"

I did listen to the interviews. To me, it seemed mostly like they were edited from the DVD interviews (Spielberg whistling the two potential Indy themes and suggesting that Williams use both ideas, Spielberg saying that Temple Of Doom had some of the best "trek" music he'd ever heard, etc).

Thanks for reminding me -- that's another thing that kind of annoyed me. "Return To The Village / Raiders March" is only the cue up until the end titles start to roll. It is not cross-faded into the end title.

muttjones

sorry i cant be bothered going through 15 pages of thread so:

when does it come out?

I got all the soundtracks off the internet and then i watched TOD a few days ago and was furious that all this music was cut out.

cheers :D

michael

From that forum Frank V just posted...

Maurizio Caschetto wrote:
So, are the "End Credits" on Disc 2 the same track of the OST album

Yes, the "End Credits" on Disc 2 are the same as the album.

-- Jeff

^^^This my ONLY disappointment from this set. The actual film end credits includes the decent version of Indy & Short Round's theme mixed together. Bleh! And we don't even get it apparently on the Return to the Village/Raiders March. I mean, it's soooo key to have that. It's only like 20 seconds. But I am still grateful for this set, just figured I'd post this for anybody wondering.

Edit: Link: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2193

Last edited: