Dean Charles Stanforth for indy 5

Do you want Charles Stanforth to return?

• Yes!, he was a great character

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I Don't care, just give me Indy 5!!

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

lao che & sons

One of my favorite things abiut KOTCS is how there is a new dean to take Marcus Brodys place. This leaves room for him to come back for Indy 5 wouldn't you say? I wonder if he would be part of the adventure or just introduce the mcguffin? I would love to see him in the adventure it could really show a different side to the character.;)

bennihana123

I love Jim Broadbent, but I don't want him tagging along for the adventure.

Just have him introduce the MacGuffin and let Indy do the rest :whip:

Dewy9

I think Spalko might say this if he tags along- "What is the point of all this?"

I mean, we already did this, so why do it again? It would be a little too much of a repeat of what's been done before.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dewy9 said:
I mean, we already did this, so why do it again? It would be a little too much of a repeat of what's been done before.

Agreed. And, really, the Indy team keeps getting bigger and bigger in each film...they've got to pare down the list of how many are actually adventuring.

(Ahem...the wrong man scenario...)

Kingsley

To say that Broadbents character was one of the good things in the movie, doesn't mean it's a good inclusion for another one...

His interactions with Indy helped us to see some deep feelings in our hero, and we could imagine what happened all these years after LC... but it wasn't a particularly rich character. Almost a proxy for the absence of Brody and Henry Sr., well portrayed by Broadbent, but still a proxy.
I think there was much more potential in Mac, but he is now in 'the space between the spaces' :(

IndyForever

Sorry I disagree. Broadbent was one of the only bad mistakes for me. Terribly miscast. They should have gone for someone like Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman or even Samuel L Jackson.

Hope Broadbent does not return even John Hurt would be better!

Johnny Nys

Those names are too big for such a small role.

Wouldn't mind his return, so long as it isn't just to have a Marcus Brody type of character formulaic intervention for the sake of tradition.

Hanselation

Indy 5 in ToD Style

Johnny Nys said:
Those names are too big for such a small role.

Wouldn't mind his return, so long as it isn't just to have a Marcus Brody type of character formulaic intervention for the sake of tradition.

If Indy 5 will be realized, I would like to see a story in the "Temple of Doom"-style. Indy rumbles into an adventure with one or two sidekicks.(One of the sidekicks will be, unevitable, MUTT). There should be no other characters from the former movies, or even family ties :sick: (One Exception: Maybe Sallah in a cameo - that could be fine). :gun:

mister64

I want Sallah in Indy 5 more than any other sidekick (I like Mutt and assume he'll have a good-sized role) , but I'd also like to see a grown-up Short Round at some point in the film, either as a small part in the beginning (end of Indy's last adventure) or as a sidekick for the new adventure.

I liked Dean Stanforth and think he should definitely be in the film at the beginning to get Indy's adventure going, or Indy goes to him for advice and/or a history lesson about whatever his quest is. If he comes along for the adventure, it would be a nice homage to Denholm Elliott if Stanforth is a comic-relief character, but I don't feel it necessary for him to be "in the field."

Oxley could come back, since he is a mentor and father-figure to both Mutt and Indy.

Hanselation

Okay, you' re right. One of two exceptions: Maybe Sallah or Short Round in a cameo - that could be fine.
Maybe Indy and Mutt have to rescue Shorty or Sallah.
But Stanforth is not a "must have" in such a story. A good story has less main characters, that failed in my opinion in Indy 5. So I don't see that we will have Stanforth in the next movie.

vf wing

Hanselation has the right idea! (y) Indy off on his own, maybe he could hang with Mutt while the latter is on some school field trip abroad and they could get thrown into an adventure that way. I really prefer not to see the same retread of the Raiders structure, but more a rollicking ToD-style thrillride!

Nothing against Broadbent, but he could be saved for a sixth film, if there is one. An adult Short Round is a stretch, but I wouldn't object to seeing him. Bring on Sallah!

Morning Bell

I'd like to see Sallah return for a good portion of the film, yet a few scenes with Stanforth would be nice too, especially because it appears that he and Indy had built up a solid friendship and it would be nice to see some more of that in another film.

James

If the story opens with Indy back at the college, I wouldn't mind his inclusion. It would add a nice continuity and help establish Stanforth as more than just Brody's replacement. But having said that, he shouldn't be included in the actual adventure.

The only supporting character I would like to see return (for the adventure) is Marion, and that's only because she will need to be included in any sequels. But even if she's not limited to bookending the story, there's still potential there to develop the relationship between her and Indy. It could essentially be the continuation many fans thought they were getting back in 1984.

Mutt's absence can easily be explained by having him away at school.

Sallah has already been used twice, so the only reason to bring him back would be fan service.

Short Round was a great character, but like the above two, he's served his purpose. Besides, I'm not sure I want to see a thirty-year-old version that bears little resemblance to his former self. (The alternative- to have Shorty still speaking broken English and wearing a baseball cap- would be even more depressing.)

AnImaginaryBoy

I don't know if I'd want him to play a big part in the adventure, like Marcus does in The Last Crusade, but I'd like him to have a more significant role, as I must admit, I do rather like Jim Broadbent as an actor, and I think the relationship between Indy and Stanforth is interesting, and might be worth exploring further.

Dewy9

To be honest, I don't want to see Marshall College at all in Indy 5. Been there, done that. The series was always somewhat formulaic (teaser, college, foreign land, find artifact A, fight scene, save/ return artifact B and throw in a few action and chase scenes along the way), but it shouldn't just become a math equation. I think it belonged in Indy 4, but not in a sequel.

lao che & sons said:
One of my favorite things abiut KOTCS is how there is a new dean to take Marcus Brodys place. This leaves room for him to come back for Indy 5 wouldn't you say? I wonder if he would be part of the adventure or just introduce the mcguffin? I would love to see him in the adventure it could really show a different side to the character.;)

I'd still like him to remain an academic, although it might be cool for him to appear in the midst of the adventure helping Indy out of a jam...and then dying. An easily expendable character who you might end up liking more because he's left his safe life to help Indy. Then later maybe we discover he's pulled some strings with his own friend abroad to either secure his own safety and return home but ends up helping Indy out of another jam or supply him when his options have disappeared.

AlivePoet

I never cared for Broadbent's character, personally. He just served as a Brody-replacement, and the references to Marcus (the painting, the photo and the sculpture) I found to be far more effective than Stanforth. Nobody can replace Marcus Brody, I don't think.

Morning Bell

AlivePoet said:
I never cared for Broadbent's character, personally. He just served as a Brody-replacement, and the references to Marcus (the painting, the photo and the sculpture) I found to be far more effective than Stanforth. Nobody can replace Marcus Brody, I don't think.

I agree that no one can take the place of Marcus but if they flesh out Stanforth's character a bit more in another film I think he'd make a good substitute and feel more natural in the series.