General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Randy_Flagg

If it is made, I'm leaning more and more towards hoping that it's done with a new actor.

They should start the movie with Harrison playing Indy in the opening adventure. Then, something in that adventure leads to a flashback, taking place in the late 1920s, where Indy (played by a new actor) is on an adventure with Abner. We watch that adventure for the bulk of the movie. Then, as that adventure wraps up, the flashback ends, and we finish the adventure that the film had started with (the one with Harrison as Indy.) I really think that's the best way to do it at this point.
They key, of course, is to get a young actor that really seems like a young Indy. They failed to do this in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Randy_Flagg said:
If it is made, I'm leaning more and more towards hoping that it's done with a new actor.

They should start the movie with Harrison playing Indy in the opening adventure. Then, something in that adventure leads to a flashback, taking place in the late 1920s, where Indy (played by a new actor) is on an adventure with Abner. We watch that adventure for the bulk of the movie. Then, as that adventure wraps up, the flashback ends, and we finish the adventure that the film had started with (the one with Harrison as Indy.) I really think that's the best way to do it at this point.
They key, of course, is to get a young actor that really seems like a young Indy. They failed to do this in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

That could work, as long as they signposted the trick by calling it

Not Much Indiana Jones & The Curse Of Arthritis

Randy_Flagg

http://www.examiner.com/movie-in-m...he-would-consider-writing-fifth-indiana-jones

It sounds like Lawrence Kasdan, the screenwriter behind the first "Indiana Jones" film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," would at the very least consider writing the fifth installment in the classic movie franchise if approached with the idea by producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg.

"I would listen to anything those guys said to me -- no question," Kasdan told me in an interview Friday. "They had spoken to me about the previous movie ? but I've been hesitant to go back to that same area."

Kasdan, who is readying the release of his first film in nine years, the dog-themed dramedy "Darling Companion," told me that a big part of his hesitancy stems from the stellar success of "Raiders," which was released in 1981.

"I'm old fashioned, which means I think 'Raiders' was absolutely perfect in my mind. I'm not sure we can do any better than that," Kasdan said with a laugh.

If there's any hope for fans, Kasdan -- who also collaborated with Lucas as a screenwriter on the "Star Wars" films "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" -- has clearly shown that he's willing to write sequels.

"I'm not against sequels -- I was involved with 'Empire' -- but generally, they're not what attract me," Kasdan said.

While Lucas has all but guaranteed there will be no more "Star Wars" films, a live-action series, tentatively titled "Star Wars: Underworld" is in development. Like the prospect of writing the fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, Kasdan told me that he'll keep an open mind about writing for the series if approached by his old friend.

"George and I are always in touch, and as he's done each of these (new) 'Star Wars' movies, he's asked me if I wanted to be involved," Kasdan said. "I'm open to listening to anything, but I'm not drawn to doing that kind of (thing)."

The 30th anniversary of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," released June 12, 1981, was celebrated by Lucas and Spielberg last year. The fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, which would once again star Harrison Ford as the heroic title character, is still in development.

The last film in the series, 2008's "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," was a hit in theaters, but underwhelmed some fans and was cruelly parodied on television shows like "South Park."

Starring Kevin Kline and Diane Keaton, "Darling Companion," which Kasdan co-wrote with his wife, Meg, opens in theaters in limited release on Friday.

Indy's brother

Video posted 4-30-2012. Go to the 8:28 mark for it. George Lucas:

I AM working on a 5th Indiana Jones. I have to get it approved by Steven and Harrison. I'll only say this, the last time it took 14 years to get it approved, so again, it's not something that everybody's crazy to get out and do. I mean, nobody needs the money, you know the chances are that it will be not well accepted much more than it will be accepted, so there's not a lot of impetus to do it.

EddyW

And at the start of the interview he says it's not in his personality to let go of a project he starts until it's finished, so Indy 5 should happen sooner or later. :D

IndyForever

Spielberg is actually the biggest problem here Lucas has to get his approval on anything before even taking it to Harrison so it just goes around in circles as Spielberg is constantly busy producing/directing movies they should just spend a few days together with Harrison to really make this work as Harrison cannot play the part for much longer.

Its probably 50/50 right now lets all hope the positive Bluray reception will force the movie along more quickly but at least Lucas has not said no if he did then that would be the end until Lucas says no its over I will have some hope left but the impression I get is that Lucas is not the holdout here ...........

IndyForever

Montana Smith said:
Indy is actually the biggest problem here.

Nobody knows what to do with an old guy who no longer fits his job description.
Actually the problem is so called fans like you who do not want the rest of us to have 1 last adventure with an older Indy I mean correct me if I am wrong but these forums are designed for Indiana Jones fans Lucas/Spielberg do not read these forums so your negativity (and most of your posts are very negative surely belong on Imdb where you will get a wider audience ;) ).

In fact can you point me to any positive posts you have made here in the last 4 years????

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Actually the problem is so called fans like you who do not want the rest of us to have 1 last adventure with an older Indy I mean correct me if I am wrong but these forums are designed for Indiana Jones fans Lucas/Spielberg do not read these forums so your negativity (and most of your posts are very negative surely belong on Imdb where you will get a wider audience ;) ).

In fact can you point me to any positive posts you have made here in the last 4 years????

You also ought to revise your opinion of what a fan is and who's allowed to post here.

foreignerfred

Olliana said:
Obviously, George knows what to do with him. He just has to write faster, more intense...I guess.

Guys, all Lucas does is come up with the story, not write the script. The translation of "coming up with the story" to actual Hollywood creative process is that he writes a TREATMENT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_treatment

Treatments are more general than an actual script, and they are as long as most college term papers. There's no reason to think the WRITING is the problem.

Lucas always runs to the "researching these things" quote when pressed about his part of the process.

I want Indy 5. I'll take a reboot. I think any fan will, if honest about it.

But I think Lucas is just stringing us along and dabbling, because there is absolutely NO reason for this to take so long if he was ACTIVELY working on Indy 5.

The Drifter

IndyForever said:

Not everyone is a blind fanboy who is drooling for another movie. As for Monty, he is a helluva poster and a great asset to The Raven.

Henry W Jones

IndyForever said:

This is funny to me. Montana contributes to this site regularly and is being chastised by someone who averages 5 posts a year.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Not everyone is a blind fanboy who is drooling for another movie.

Yes, there's a case for preserving what we already have, and preventing it being eroded further by whatever mad ideas George may have in mind.

The Drifter said:
As for Monty, he is a helluva poster and a great asset to The Raven.

Why, thank you, Drifter!
hi51.gif

Henry W Jones said:
This is funny to me. Montana contributes to this site regularly and is being chastised by someone who averages 5 posts a year.

In the words of Indy, contributing is "Not as easy as it used to be." :whip:

fenris

I'm still hoping for a sequel, but not really confident there will be one. Let's face it, Harrison is getting old. By the time that right script gets approved, he might not be "Indy" enough to film it.

I'm one of those fans who wants the big three to redeem themselves after KOTCS; but I know that as each year passes, it will be almost impossible to make it. If this drags on for more than a year, we might just get a George Hall type of Indy.

I just want more; book, comic, animated series, even a reboot. Just to keep the Indy spirit alive... Also, so I wouldn't feel weird being the only die-hard Indy fan in my country (really, I feel like I'm the only one).

Montana Smith

fenris said:
I just want more; book, comic, animated series, even a reboot. Just to keep the Indy spirit alive...

I think animation is the safest way to go forward on film.

But it has to be top quality animation filled with lots of detail and atmosphere. It's the only way we're going to be able to see Harrison as classic Indy in his prime. Not that he'd probably be voicing the character - but you never know!

Live action is only going to leave Indy sidelined as past his best, and as I wrote, "an old guy who no longer fits his job description."

The compromise between presenting a young, energetic hero to the younger members of the audience, while also presenting Indy as the main character to those who grew up with him, is going to be even harder than it was in 2008.

Big screen Indy has hit a cul de sac because he's associated (and rightly so) with a single actor. Therefore a reboot would also be a lesser thing, forever graded against the original classics. Something along the lines of Jack Hunter.

So, I'd stick with the animated route. Clone Wars style. It's also a medium I find more easy to forgive when things aren't quite as expected.

Montana Smith

fenris said:
As long as the animation isn't ala clone wars, I'll probably be okay with it.

Clone Wars has atmosphere, but I'd also like the style to be as photo-realistic. That is, as close to Harrison and the movies as possible, so that it would fit almost seamlessly into the series, filling in the gaps and showing us his wartime adventures with Mac.