TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #676
foreignerfred
IndyFan

[quote=foreignerfred]So...question: If Alden does a great job in "Solo," will people -- will WE-- possibly want him for Indy as well?

foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #677
Face_Palm
IndyFan

I could easily see Ryan Gosling taking over the role.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #678
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerfred
So...question: If Alden does a great job in "Solo," will people -- will WE-- possibly want him for Indy as well?

What's the over/under on Disney using River Phoenix, being resurrected from the dead, and aged appropriately to take the reigns. That's where I'm going, now.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #679
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
What's the over/under on Disney using River Phoenix, being resurrected from the dead, and aged appropriately to take the reigns. That's where I'm going, now.
Even better, get Joaquin to play his brother portraying Ford playing Indy.

Et voilą !
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #680
garzo
IndyFan

I'm confident Alden would be a good fit for the part if they go with him. He certainly looks the part in those new desert shots.

I would definitely like to see future films focus on a younger Indy as we have the 1930s pretty much covered with Ford's first three films. I was also a big fan of the Young Indiana Jones show back in the day and that could certainly serve as a template.

While I liked the magical McGuffins (crystal skull not so much) in the films, I always felt Spielberg and Lucas missed a lot of great potential storytelling by not deviating from the formula. Jones and the era by themselves offered plenty of opportunity for awesome globetrotting adventure without having to have some hocus-pocus trope - which seems to me is a trap for filmmakers who become convinced that you have to stick to a specific formula. Indy as a spy on the eve of World War II or during the war could have been a great story by itself, for example.

That's where the old Young Indiana Jones show really did well and was able to stand by itself as a solid series apart from the films.

We all know, after all, that Indy first encountered magical McGuffins in Raiders, as he expressed serious scepticism about "superstitious hocus-pocus" at the time.

More on that here: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12947
garzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #681
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzo
While I liked the magical McGuffins (crystal skull not so much) in the films, I always felt Spielberg and Lucas missed a lot of great potential storytelling by not deviating from the formula.

Agree with this! It's what makes ToD such a good entry in the series - because it dares to be a bit different.

With regards to excluding the supernatural, I'd like to see an Indy film where everyone THINKS the Macguffin is of a supernatural nature, only to have it turn out to be nothing of the sort! It'd never happen, but a guy can dream!
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #682
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
Agree with this! It's what makes ToD such a good entry in the series - because it dares to be a bit different.

With regards to excluding the supernatural, I'd like to see an Indy film where everyone THINKS the Macguffin is of a supernatural nature, only to have it turn out to be nothing of the sort! It'd never happen, but a guy can dream!

Kind of reminds me of Uncharted 3 a bit with the Macguffin hinted at being supernatural but not really after all.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #683
seasider
IndyFan

He might not be the best actor around but Scott Eastwood (Clint's son) who is now 32 has that Indy look.

seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #684
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Last edited by Finn : 05-12-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #685
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerfred

George Lucas was originally hesitant to cast Harrison as Indy after having cast him as Han in Star Wars (and before that in American Graffiti). "I didn't want him to become my Bobby DiNero."

If Alden pulls off paying homage to Harrison's portrayal of Han while adding something fresh to the role in "Solo," would Disney dare consider him for Indiana Jones?

I can see Alden's success in Solo working FOR him in landing Indy and AGAINST him.

"Who would dare try to tackle a role made iconic by Harrison Ford?"

There's actually a non-speculative answer to that question now.