Indiana Jones 5?

Niteshade007

Grizzlor said:
Any Indy TV Show would not happen until after the Star Wars one was off the ground (2009 or 2010?). One of Lucas' goals with that show is to prove that high quality science fiction can still be done on television, for a reasonable amount of money. A big problem with Young Indy chronicles was a enormous cost of production, which was largely paid by Lucas, because he wanted so much location shooting. Therefore, his "new formula" he has been touting would have to be proven out by Star Wars first. Plus I think there is something to be said about the lack of success of anything Indiana Jones or copycat not starring Harrison Ford.

Most sci-fi themed TV shows don't do well, however. Take Firefly, for example. No matter how fiercely fans loved the show, that didn't make it a success. Their numbers weren't large enough, and the show was canceled before it finished its first season. In fact, outside of Star Trek, I can't think of a successful Sci-Fi television program. I haven't heard anything about a Star Wars television show, but if there is one, I'm not so sure it will be successful.

As far as an Indy TV show goes, I doubt that they'll go that route again. Shia has done TV, and now that he has established a film career, I'm not sure he will want to go back to doing a television show. That, combined with the lack of success from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, means that we probably won't be seeing Indy on the small screen again.

Finn

Staff member
Niteshade007 said:
In fact, outside of Star Trek, I can't think of a successful Sci-Fi television program.
Stargate ran for 10 seasons, plus it generated a spinoff that will run at least four. Babylon 5 ran 4 seasons (plus numerous TV movies), so one can consider that pretty successful as well.

Then there's X-files... (if you consider that sci-fi).

Niteshade007

Ok, I've never heard of Stargate or Babylon 5, but if they ran for more than three seasons I'd say they were pretty popular. I don't really consider X-Files a sci-fi, but then again, I think I've only seen a couple of episodes.

Finn

Staff member
Niteshade007 said:
Ok, I've never heard of Stargate or Babylon 5, but if they ran for more than three seasons I'd say they were pretty popular.
Okay, I can deal with you not hearing about B5, since that one's strictly 90's product, but it seems weird to me that you haven't even heard of the Gate. After all, it ran from 1997 to 2007 and considering that amount of seasons, it was little more than just "popular". They already even have two movies in the making, thanks to fan outbreak.

I'm no hardcore fan by any means, but I enjoyed it. A lot.

Also, Battlestar Galactica has entered its fourth (and seemingly final) season. But I dunno if that counts since it's a rehash of an old 70s show.

fortune&glory

I think there is a great potential for animated prequels to the Indy films, and I don't mean cartoons. I noticed that the cg characters for "Bridge To Terebithia" were quite astoundingly realistic. If they could just push that technology a little further, then they could make a few Indy adventures set in the late twenties and early thirties with Harrison providing the voice. I much prefer live-action, stunt filled adventures, but I would much rather see something animated than someone else playing Indy. Besides, if the computer generated effects develop enough, there may not be too much of a difference between live-action and animation.

Now if one is only interested in Indy's gear, and the look and feel of the films (which is undeniably spectacular), then this concept might not appeal to them. However, if one is really in love with the storylines, the sense of adventure, and the characters, then this could be a promising idea.

Of course nothing can truly compare to real breathing actors, but if the CG Indy looked, acted, and talked just like a 35 year old Ford, and the world's most amazing and exotic locations were rendered to perfection, this along with the writing and story boarding of Lucas and Spielberg respectively, and the music of John Williams, could, if done right, be spectacular.

Niteshade007

Finn said:
Okay, I can deal with you not hearing about B5, since that one's strictly 90's product, but it seems weird to me that you haven't even heard of the Gate. After all, it ran from 1997 to 2007 and considering that amount of seasons, it was little more than just "popular". They already even have two movies in the making, thanks to fan outbreak.

I'm no hardcore fan by any means, but I enjoyed it. A lot.

I'm...sorry? I just haven't heard about it. But, I don't watch a whole lot of TV, if that's any consolation. In fact, the only show that I can think of that's still on the air is The Office. I like Boston Legal, though, I just don't watch it regularly. I like a lot of off-air shows like Arrested Development, Friends, Moonlighting, Will & Grace, etc.

Finn

Staff member
Niteshade007 said:
I'm...sorry?
Relax. That wasn't mockery. Just a little surprised, is all. Especially since you knew about Firefly. Many browncoats also happen to be gaters.

Guess this goes to show that despite the large fan base, it's still something not too known outside of it. Likely goes with all sci-fi.

Niteshade007

Actually, I'm not a fan of Firefly. A friend made me watch the series. He was in love with it. I was less impressed.

I'm just not big on Sci-fi.

I do like the Sci-Fi diner though at MGM Studios. Well, the food isn't that good, but I like the atmosphere.

Vendetta08

Parzival said:
What if IV makes tons of money? I'm sure the producers will want to cash in on the renewed interest of this property and want to make more money. I'm all for more stories Harrison Ford or no Harrison Ford. As long as the stories are up to par then I would like to see them continue.

The execs and producers don't matter on Indy. Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford call all of the shots here. Indy 4 will definitely be a success, and if every producer at Paramount wants another sequel, if the big 3 say no, it won't happen.

fortune&glory said:
I think there is a great potential for animated prequels to the Indy films, and I don't mean cartoons. I noticed that the cg characters for "Bridge To Terebithia" were quite astoundingly realistic. If they could just push that technology a little further, then they could make a few Indy adventures set in the late twenties and early thirties with Harrison providing the voice. I much prefer live-action, stunt filled adventures, but I would much rather see something animated than someone else playing Indy. Besides, if the computer generated effects develop enough, there may not be too much of a difference between live-action and animation.

Now if one is only interested in Indy's gear, and the look and feel of the films (which is undeniably spectacular), then this concept might not appeal to them. However, if one is really in love with the storylines, the sense of adventure, and the characters, then this could be a promising idea.

Of course nothing can truly compare to real breathing actors, but if the CG Indy looked, acted, and talked just like a 35 year old Ford, and the world's most amazing and exotic locations were rendered to perfection, this along with the writing and story boarding of Lucas and Spielberg respectively, and the music of John Williams, could, if done right, be spectacular.

Are you saying a CG film or show? If it's a film, the only way to get realistic as that would be to do mo-cap and HD graphics like Bob Zemeckis has been using lately. If you mean tv show, I don't believe that's feasible enough today. Maybe in a few years though.

AndyLGR

Papa Jones said:
Supershadow surely knows the plot to the next 3 Indiana Jones movies... :rolleyes:
Is supershadow the real deal or full of sh*t

I would love there to be an Indy V. But for that to be a possibility surely they would have to shoot fairly soon after this one wraps and not leave it for a couple of years. Just a pity its taken this long to get from LC to IV, otherwise we could be on V already.

AndyLGR

DarthLowBudget said:
Supershadow is full of ****.
I thought so. The George Lucas questions and answers never seemed right to me for one thing. Yet I'd also thought it strange how he gets these supposed 'exclusives'.

Papa Jones

AndyLGR said:
Is supershadow the real deal or full of sh*t

I would love there to be an Indy V. But for that to be a possibility surely they would have to shoot fairly soon after this one wraps and not leave it for a couple of years. Just a pity its taken this long to get from LC to IV, otherwise we could be on V already.

Notice the 'rolleyes' on my previous post and my oh so funny quotes about this gangster.