Lucas ponders Indy 5

Way of the dodo

Lots of people didn't like Temple of Doom, but not because of the stones. And eff those people anyway. I just think it's possible to do an Indy movie without a phoney-baloney supernatural artifact at the center.

James

All of these reports are just more knee-jerk reactions from the online crowd.

Seriously, how many people lost sleep over Lucas' earlier comments? Now they'll probably waste countless hours trying to spin this newest "story" into something that will depress them too.

I think Lucas just tries to make this all sound more mysterious than it really is. But realistically, he's not going to reveal the next Macguffin- even if he has one in mind.

Ultimately, the real problem isn't going to be coming up with an artifact to serve as the Macguffin. Lucas knows that any kid can use Google to find one for their fan fic. The real trick is going to be finding something that interests him enough to spend a year working on it.

IndyCon

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET THERE BE AN INDY 5

I'm praying to the Inter-dimensional Beings that Indiana Jones 5 is made.

ChromiumBlue37

I am hoping that we get an Indy 5. IF this happens, I will be very content. Just seeing him in KOTCS was like finding your best childhood friend that you grew apart from. It was a wonderful movie and experience. After this, it would be incredible to have an animated series of Indy in the 1940's and early 1950's with Harrison Ford doing the voice.

Harrison brought Indiana Jones back to our lives with KOTCS and now I just want MORE!

FILMKRUSC

IndyCon said:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET THERE BE AN INDY 5

I'm praying to the Inter-dimensional Beings that Indiana Jones 5 is made.

Lucas will probably have inter-dimensional beings in Indy 5.:sick:

jdm_jib

The Man

He also said a movie about the character Mutt would be completely seperate.

So, after twenty-seven years they finally decide to give a sidekick his own gig. The worst sidekick...

:rolleyes:

HovitosKing

Don't get too excited just yet. Lucas could easily wake up one morning and change his mind back, or come up with something even more ludicrous instead. Anything can happen, it's a long way to Indy V.

jdm_jib

i dunno...i agree that Mutt wasnt the greatest character ever but i dont think it was KOTCS's worst aspect.

Im just glad were gonna get more indy. Nomatter how old ford gets id much rarther watch Ford than anyone they choose to replace him.

The Man

Are they willing to accept the voluminous amount of criticism levelled at Skull before they begin this? We need Spielberg - the real Spielberg - to take heed. There is good in him...

Crusade>Raiders

The Man said:
Are they willing to accept the voluminous amount of criticism levelled at Skull before they begin this? We need Spielberg - the real Spielberg - to take heed.

YES. Now that Spielberg is more interested in doing another Indy movie, I hope he really gets into it this time. Spielberg wasn't afraid to admit the flaws of Temple of Doom, and Lucas even said "Nuked the fridge" in an interview lol.

*crosses fingers*

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Err...there's nothing new in there. It's just a report on his mtv interview...

Crusade>Raiders said:
YES. Now that Spielberg is more interested in doing another Indy movie, I hope he really gets into it this time. Spielberg wasn't afraid to admit the flaws of Temple of Doom, and Lucas even said "Nuked the fridge" in an interview lol.

*crosses fingers*
Well, I don't see how those two things could in any way get my hopes up for a fifth installment.

What we got to see in theaters was the product of more than ten years of "not starting to shoot until we have the perfect script". A long search for the right screenwriter and a rejection of a script, which, in my opinion could have been made into a potentially better film than the one we saw.
Spielberg directed scenes that were supposed to get us on the edge of our seats but lacked the danger and thrill that is normally associated with an Indiana Jones movie. Harrison Ford had to speak endless lines of expository dialogue and didn't complain about the lack of stuff he actually gets to do in the movie?
unwürdig

With all the major players remaining as inactive as Indy himself regarding the non-Indy-worthy script I don't know why I should get my hopes up for another movie. I wish Spielberg would have been slightly ashamed of his work when he saw the second half of his adventure unfold on the big screen in Cannes. But somehow I can't help but think that they all thought it was ok to retire Indy in the dishonorable way we witnessed in the second half of Crystal Skull.

Udvarnoky said:
And that's the thing, a real McGuffin doesn't need to have any significance. The history of the maltese falcon was unimportant - all we needed to know was that it was the thing that all the characters wanted. It doesn't have to be important to us as long as we're convinced that it's important to them.

Indiana Jones doesn't have to be Shakespeare, and really, no one wants it to be. The artifact that Indy is looking for doesn't need to be anything more than something to hang a bunch of enjoyably implausible action sequences on. Temple of Doom gave us the rocks, enough of a backstory (The Hindu god gave magic stones to blahblahblah) for us to buy it within the realm of a goofy adventure movie, and got on with the good stuff. Raiders wasn't about the ark so much as Indy realizing his love for Marion, Temple wasn't about the stones so much as Indy discovering his morals, and Crusade wasn't about the cup but about a father and son finding each other. There's no emotional hook in Crystal Skull - it really is just about Indy returning an alien head to a chamber. Mutt isn't horrible or anything, but he's just there to give Indy a son. It's great to see Marion back, but she's only there to satisfy a fan craving and to reveal that she's Mutt's Mom with Indy. Everyone who had the potential to function as an emotional anchor feels like they're there as a glaring plot device, or to ensure that Lucas can make a spinoff someday. Lucas was so worried about updating the franchise and bringing it to the 50s and doing the scifi b-movie stuff (all of which works fine) that somewhere along the way he forgot to just make good entertainment, which is far more important.

The truth, I guess.

Last edited:

DetectiveFork

Udvarnoky said:
There's no emotional hook in Crystal Skull - it really is just about Indy returning an alien head to a chamber.

I have to disagree with you there. The movie at its heart is about Indy thinking time has taken almost everything away from him, but discovering a new family, which is more important than any artifact. How successful the movie conveys that emotionally is debatable, but I don't think you can deny that was the intent. The movie is also about the search for knowledge being the ultimate quest.

The Man

Notice how suddenly frosty Lucas has become towards Mutt since Shia's pinkie-pulping antics? Is young LaBeouf in the bad books? Hmmm?*

*Now if Karen Allen can get arrested for murder, Indy V may yet have hope.

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Notice how suddenly frosty Lucas has become towards Mutt since Shia's pinkie-pulping antics? Is young LaBeouf in the bad books? Hmmm?*

*Now if Karen Allen can get arrested for murder, Indy V may yet have hope.

You're cruel... :p