Crete or Cairo?

I'm planning a journey for the next year and I don't know what to choose between those wonderful places that I'd like to visit both.
Any suggestion?

Yeahhh...bikinis...:D
Ehm, however, if someone has ever been there (Crete or Cairo I mean), could you tell me what it's like, please?
Thanks again

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Crete is great, especially the spring. Not a lot of German tourists, beautiful landscape, locations at Knossos that featured in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Crete.

In fact, I always hoped to visit one of those two great Indy featured places, but I excluded Tunisia immediately because is full of turist and because there are low igenical services (many friends of mine that have been there told me that they had the same problem that Harrison Ford had eating local food:sick: ).
Then I thought Cairo because my parents have been there during their honeymoon, about 20 years ago and they told me it's beautiful...
But Atlantis is calling me...The presence of Nur-Ab-Sal is too strong to fade...:D

A Journey in the Mediterranean

A long time ago (in a Galaxy far far away!:D! )... I asked you to suggest me the best place to visit between Cairo and Crete and finally I chose Crete. However when I looked for a flight and a hotel I found nothing because I made the booking the week before leaving (my father suddenly had the chance to make this vacantion) so we opted for a cruise in the Mediterranean around the Greek islands (Thera, Mykonos and Corfu are the ones we visited but, unfortunately, not Crete:( --however we went to Athens and we spent a lot of time in the National Archeological Museum and in the wonderful Acropolis) leaving from Venice.
So here some pics, I hope you like them:)

A view of the Lesser Colony of Atlantis:whip:

Here you are Mykonos:whip:

The galvanizing Parthenon whip:

Ahh...Venice!:whip:

Indy1986

Yeah been in Athens in 2005....great city
the Akropolis was awesome and the national history museum was awesome
that is why i love travelling by the way it makes you feel like Indy!!!(y)

I know what you mean:) ...I wore my Indy's leather jacket but I didn't stand the hot weather so I left the hat:p
However, have you been to the Hard Rock Cafe???

DaFedora

Your photo of Venice looks very picture-esque, painting-like hazy. I once found a great poster of the San Marco all bathing in golden yellow near-dusky sunlight ....alas it was their last one and the frame around it had to be sold together for a price too high for my budget...

Man I can't wait to visit Venice when I'm over in Bologna for my Erasmus exchange :)

Hi there folks!

I'm glad to see that someone finally saw and appreciated my photos!:D
I really enjoyed my cruise around the Mediterranean even if I had to admit that cruise is not the kind of vacantion I prefer (I'm an active guy, and I truly like to "going inside" a place when I visit it, to make a full immersion, and the cruise was too short!)
Beside this, I have many good memories, like when we visited Athens (and I went there with my trusted leather jacket, despite the warm wheater!:p ), and when we visited Thera and Venice, of course.
Venice was very crowded and there was a lot of humidity (that's why you see the haze DaFedora), however we visited the Palazzo Ducale, Piazza San Marco and we've been travelling around the city for many hours.
If you have the chance, go to Venice this week, the "Carnevale" it's just begun and sure you'll have a lot of fun there!
PS: If you can, come to visit my city Gubbio; it's an ancient medieval town in the middle of Italy, in Umbria, (not so distant from Bologna), it's a stunning place and, in my opinion, it's the closest thing to Minas Tirith in the face of the whole Earth.
However the road is rough and full of curves because you'll have to pass inside the Appennini's mountains.
Enjoy your staying in Italy, a place that worth to visit:D

Bye:whip:

indifan101

My mother's cousin is an archaeologist and he's been digging in crete for eight years! You might have heard of him Doc his name's Donald Haggis

Hi there Indyfan:hat:
I've heard about him while I was making some personal studies about Crete, a couple of years ago, he's the leading director of the Azoria Project, HE TRULY IS A FAMOUS ARCHEOLOGIST!!!!:whip: :)
Alas I've never been to Crete yet, it's my greatest regret but we took the tickets for the cruise the very last minute and the Greek itinerary wasn't including Crete!
I'm planning a journey there but I'm still studing at the Liceo Classico (I don't know how to translate, so see the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyceum#Italy) and this is year I'll have the last year's exams, so I'll have to wait...

DaFedora

Tips when you visit Crete

Hey there,

I happen to have visited Crete 3 times over - it's a very nice island indeed!

Apart from the famous touristical sites (Knossos, Lasithi, the long Samaria crevasse tour) ... there are some less known sites that are worth well visiting.

Try and visit the nice and restaurant-filled laguna in Hagios Nicolaos... I recommend a meal at a tucked-away taverna "Lato's", run by 2 friendly brothers ( don't know if their restaurant still exists though) - they make the best "Steak Diana" I ate (it's with a rich, creamy mushroom & brandy sauce and fries or fried potato rolls).

A bit away from Hagios Nicolaos is also the mountain village Kritsà, where we just happened to be at the right time some 10-11 years (has it been that long already?) ago - we witnessed a traditional wedding of a couple , the groom in leatherboots and ceremonial horticult-type vest, riding his donkey, carabine shouldererd, to pick up his bride. Their friends shooting their hunting rifles in the air simultaneously to salute the couple and scare away the tourists.. nah just kidding :gun: All 4 patriarchs of the island's regions joined together just to consacrate this one wedding ! But all the village people are so generous to the marrying couple that day - chunks of honeybread are handed out for everyone and in the church some large plates are hung from the ceiling where a lot of cash is being deposited to help the couple during their first steps in life as husband and wife.

The eastern outskirts of the Chania part are also nice to discover.

The location might be too far to venture on your own by car, but equally worthwile to visit is the source of the mineral water bottlery of "Zaro", where I think we happened to come across a trout and salmon breeding point, with about 8 basin tanks with the most glorious trout and salmon you've ever seen. Personnaly select your fish, see them being catched and jump desperately for their lives, have the fish half an hour later grilled on your plate adorned with parsley and lemon-juiced, accompanied with fries topped with fresh molten shrinkels of artisanally made mountain cheese (a bit like emmental, but really yummy).

There's also this place all the way back in the Northwestern tip of the island where a massacre occured - the women and children who fled from the invading Turks happened to be betrayed by a man in the village, and they were actually 'smoked out' as they lit fire to the only cave entrance, the blackened grotto's ceiling and a glass relic shrine with bones remembers this tragic occurence in the historical greek-turkish struggle over the island.

Gotta go now - Bologna's Erasmus student network throws a party tonight and I'll shake the floor ;)

Last edited:

indifan101

he's been digging there for over eight years or so. I know he's written some books about his works and studies and has had a television show on history international channel also. This year is his last year and just by luck I've been invited to join him along with my aunt for a trip to greece and crete in the summer. My grandmother and her ancestors hail from that island. :D

Hello people:hat:
Are you going to Crete Indyfan!? That's great, I hope you'll have a good time!:)
I must absolutely go there too! I just hope I'll be able to make a trip before the exams.
What about you DaFedora, how's going your Erasmus? Do you already speak some Italian? It's a difficult language to learn, the grammar, the pronunciation, and writing of course is not so simple and (most important) remember that only a very few number of persons in Italy speak correct Italian, most use different accents and dialects in every different place so don't be worried if you make some mistakes at the begin! :) The most important thing is to be comprehensible, but maybe you already know that.
Bye:cool: