Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Jungle Chase

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Fist Fight with Ants

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters

Travis85

Best action scene

Did anyone else think the fight between Ind and the Russian surrounded by ants was one of the the best scenes in the movie? It may have been the best overall fight fight yet in the movies, except for maybe the one with the big bald German in Raiders :).

Travis85

Well this was mainly about the fist fight in the movie and I just didn't want to spoil it by putting it in the title of the thread.

theneogon

I defiantly liked the ant scene, it felt a lot like the old movies to me. A good old fashioned fist fight sounded by killer ants, that?s Indy for ya. I'm glad they were able to add a semi-realistic creature scene. Movies nowadays tend to use fantastic creatures, like spiders the size of cars or something. In the end they just end up being less scary because they are so unreal.

Spriggan Jones

The ant sequence is my favorite from the film. IMO it's a nice new twist on the flying wing and rock crusher fights. Jijikine was a worthy successor for Pat Roach. I'd say I liked Dovchenko's demise more then Vogel's from Last Crusade.

Ltdefense

I really liked the motorcycle chase, mostly for the bit where he goes from motorcycle to car, then back. Loved seeing some nice old school stuntwork :)

Grailseeker

The warehouse and motorcycle chase was excellent and I wish the Dovchenko fight wasn't in such an open area even with the ants, but I loved that fight too.

The fight I wasn't too keen on was the jungle chase because of the CGI and horribly corny lines from karen AND (tarzan..cough)

LostArk

It was hard to choose between the warehouse and the jungle but I voted for the jungle as the best action scene and my favorite scene in the whole movie. It starts with Indy and Mutt kicking a soldier till he faints. Then it moves on to blowing up a tree-cutter (resulting in a huge CGI razor destroying the tops of 2 trucks), people jumping from one car to another, a sword fight, Indy throwing Commies off vehicles, Mutt swinging on vines with some monkeys and a final fight amidst killer ants. Yeah I included the killer ants because for me, the jungle chase ends when Indy puts his hat back on.

G-Man

Re: the fist fight...

I'd have liked the Indy and Dovchenko fist fight to take place a top a rock with the ants surrounding it, climbing onto it. Dovchenko get the better of Indy, push his head down towards the climbing ants, only to have the out of control jungle cutter (which of course in my version hasn't yet been destroyed) come in and slice Dovchenko's head off, blood splatter on the ants, his body fall to the ground and be carried off by the ants...

I thought Indy managed to get the better of Dovchenko a little too easily...

Laserschwert

Ltdefense said:
I really liked the motorcycle chase, mostly for the bit where he goes from motorcycle to car, then back. Loved seeing some nice old school stuntwork :)

Absolutely... the only action scene that was CG-free (make that: "obvious CG"-free)... very nicely done AND funny!

JediJones

LostArk said:
It was hard to choose between the warehouse and the jungle but I voted for the jungle as the best action scene and my favorite scene in the whole movie. It starts with Indy and Mutt kicking a soldier till he faints. Then it moves on to blowing up a tree-cutter (resulting in a huge CGI razor destroying the tops of 2 trucks), people jumping from one car to another, a sword fight, Indy throwing Commies off vehicles, Mutt swinging on vines with some monkeys and a final fight amidst killer ants. Yeah I included the killer ants because for me, the jungle chase ends when Indy puts his hat back on.

Totally agree, the jungle chase had me on the edge of my seat just like the Raiders truck chase or the TOD spiked pit scene. I was thrilled throughout while having my mood punctuated with very humorous moments. I would probably count the ant fight as a separate scene but the tension of it was certainly enhanced because it occurred back-to-back with the jungle chase. The Mutt Tarzan scene was a great bit. Tarzan's swinging is the root of so much action in Star Wars and Indiana Jones, so it was great to see them take a perfect opportunity to do a more direct homage to it (yet not as obvious a quote as the Chewie Tarzan yell in ROTJ). That was a good time in the chase too to insert a more lighthearted moment. I also think there was some great dialogue in there, like when Irina tells Mutt he fights like a young man, eager to start and quick to finish. The verbal interplay was too often left out of the Star Wars prequel swordfights, so I was glad to see it make a comeback here. The CG in the jungle chase was unnoticeable to me, if there was any, except of course for the monkeys and the ants, but only because I know the ants couldn't have been real. The effects work on them looked perfect. The jungle chase and ant fight are just about perfect to me. I just wish the whole movie had held to that level of quality.

Definitely the warehouse scenes. Very Spielberg in atmosphere. Shame that the stuntman couldn't emulate Indy's movements as well as Vic.

Kingsley

The Warehouse and the Motorcycle... after that... mmmm...
Is the ant scene even an action scene?

Mess, mess, mess... WHY?

Mutt-Jones III

Yeah.

Travis85 said:
Did anyone else think the fight between Ind and the Russian surrounded by ants was one of the the best scenes in the movie? It may have been the best overall fight fight yet in the movies, except for maybe the one with the big bald German in Raiders :).

It was bad @$$. :whip:

Mutt-Jones III

Hey.

Laserschwert said:
Absolutely... the only action scene that was CG-free (make that: "obvious CG"-free)... very nicely done AND funny!

Was that Harrison Ford that did all of that? It seemed like it. :whip:

Way of the dodo

The fistfight among the ants has a great moment that registered more the second time: Indy pretending to "quit" and grabbing the log instead. That's the dirty fighter from Raiders.

Mutt-Jones III

Yeah.

Way of the dodo said:
The fistfight among the ants has a great moment that registered more the second time: Indy pretending to "quit" and grabbing the log instead. That's the dirty fighter from Raiders.

It was a good move. :whip:

Indy's brother

Bump

2 years later, what say you? I voted for the Ant Fight, although it seemed short for my tastes, and I didn't get enough of the old-school dirty fighting. By that point I was so anxious to see Indy really give someone the business, I was just grateful that it happened at all! I would like to give a shout to the motorcycle sequence, since it had the wit, humor, pacing, and great scoring that we've all come to love and cherish. However. The opening 3rd act of LC had all of that, too, and I usually skip it anymore. I want INDY kicking ass. While it could be said that Marion was right along with Indy during his epic Airplane fight like Mutt was for this, Marion was a love interest, the Airplane Fight was better, and Marion didn't have any other scenes later that seemed to serve to upstage Indy's role as the lead like Mutt did.

Ant fight.