Raiders: The Adaptation Screenings

Stoo

russds said:
Yes, that was awesome too. you could see their eyes light up just talking about seeing the blooper reel. Ahh, what a treat that must have been.

Man I would love to see it, your review is great. One question: is the original score used? I've always been curious how they did that, assuming the shots couldn't exactly sync with the score, i'm assuming they couldn't just dub in the score to their shots. So was it kind of sliced together artfully, did it work? What about the scenes where the music wasn't available on the cassette soundtrack at that time, could you hear dialog from the original film, as if they recorded what they could of the score from the actual film, and used that? (sorry, sort of a score nerd so I've been very curious how they did that)
Yes, the original score is used (which is exactly why the YouTube video is blocked in the States since the notice that you posted said the video contains content from Warner-Chappell and/or UMG, which are both music distributing companies).

The guys obviously used the released soundtrack and, to fill in the missing gaps, used audio from the film because the change in audio quality is noticeable and sometimes minor, sound effects can be heard. However they managed to do it in a way that none of the film's dialogue comes through. The splicing from one sequence to another is sometimes a bit choppy but they did their best and it doesn't really detract from the overall viewing experience.

@Henry W Jones: You're welcome and good luck.:)

russds

Watched it. Wow. Amazing achievement for a bunch of kids. It's literally the whole thing (minus the fight on the plane). If anyone is interested, i jotted down some notes as I was watching. They are just thoughts, so didn't really clean them up or anything. Just thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

Random thoughts as i watched Raiders the Adaptation: (not particularly organized or spell checked, just chalking them down as i think them.)

They could have at least attempted to recreate the paramount fade to mountain effect. Something so iconic should have at least been attempted, a rock, or tree, or something.

Score adds so much, it?s authentic, it reminds me just how much the JW score adds to to the real movie, and any fan made movie.

The beginning sucks you in, the music is fantastic (original) the shots are all well mimicked, so right off the bat, I?m not bored, and drawn in to watch more.

Oh, they chopped the score around a bit. Using different score for different parts. I suppose they had to do this because of sound effects and what was available on soundtrack at the time.

Ahhh, they didn't do the iconic scene with the sand falling from Indy?s hand in the foreground with the idol in background....really hoped that was in there. oh well.

Guy that plays Indy, is not bad....looks like he really tried to mimic Harrison ford. Facial expressions, tone of voice, and all.

Oh I like how blood was still dripping after Sapito stabbed by the spikes, shows that he was freshly killed, they should have done that in the real movie.

Watching it, i?m smiling, the sincerity, and creativity of these young boys, wow, very moving. It just makes me think how much work this must have been. Bad equipment, volunteer actors, kids, etc, man, the work and commitment to get this done. Amazing.

Tons of little subtleties. ?cough, you must understand this is all strictly confidential? looks around. Amazing they were able to catch these things, just watching it in the theater.

Too bad that copyrights might keep this thing locked up, it?s so good. More people should see this.

The sincerity, and child-like magic is just overflowing.

Watching bits and pieces of it online, really doesn't do it justice. Sitting down to watch the whole thing is quite an experience. Every scene is done with a great deal of detail, and spewing with child-like authenticity.

Watching the scene where Indy first meets Marion again, it?s such great dialog. Even watching the scene strips of almost every ? Hollywood? element, the scene is still good.

Bar scene, although it?s pretty dark, it does show they put a lot of work into trying to light the scene in a ?dark? way.

Wow, fire in the bar scene looks scary and dangerous, amazing they didn't burn the house down or get seriously injured. Knowing this was just some kids filming in their garage, I felt more suspense in my stomach than watching the real Indy. :)

Oh man, even the dirty teeth of the guy in Cairo with the knife who confronts Marion. It?s almost like they emphasis these little things, and it?s so funny. I?m laughing out loud.

Wow, Belloq?s actor is pretty good in the bar scene, his attempt at the accent is very good. (actually the whole thing he does well)

Interesting, they even used parts of the last crusade score. LC must have been released by the time they shot scene where Marion was thrown down into the well of souls.

More LC score as Indy brakes a whole in the well of souls wall. Kind of distracting now.

You can kind of see how they got better as the movie goes along, better flow, more actors, better camera(s).

Truck chase is nice, almost whole truck chase cue score used, added a lot.

Nice ghosts at the end. The (with good work from the score) is actually quite chilling.

I would love to see a commentary, or talk from them (during the making of the film). Watching the last scenes, makes me wonder, what they must have felt like, finally finishing their 7-8 year project.

Right through to the end, with every shot, I was wondering how they would pull it off, and everyone of them fed my curiosity with satisfaction.

Watching the list of credits, granted lots of names are repeated, but lots of them aren't either. Amazing this small group of kids got that many people involved.

They sort of chopped in parts of Temple of doom and Last Crusade during the end credits. I love those scores, so I can?t complain, but it seems out of place. They could have just went with the Raiders end credits score, not sure why they chopped in parts of the others.

Ok. Done. Sitting and watching the whole thing, it?s really moving, and touching in a way. Shows what kids can do when they are really interested, and the clear fact it was made in the 80?s 90?s, kind of gives it that old school, nostalgic feeling. Very well done.

I?m hopeful for some kind of Hollywood treatment for this, because it?s got so much childlike magic to it, and so much potential. But I honestly don?t know what Hollywood could do to bottle this up and make another movie about it....it really feels like the only thing that gives it justice is just sitting and watching this movie.

Stoo

Chris Strompolos in "Rewind This!"

Last week at a local film festival, I watched a new documentary called, "Rewind This!", which is a nostalgic look at the heyday of VHS videotape. (It's worth watching if you're into the subject.)

The documentary contains a 2-3 minute segment about, "The Adaptation", featuring an interview with Chris Strompolos plus some clips & images. He was on an outdoor terrace and there was a nice replica of the Chachapoyan idol sitting on a table behind him.

Stoo

After re-reading the comments in the other thread, I realize that I made a mistake. The entire video was blocked in the U.S. (not just the audio) because of a music copyright issue. Sorry for the confusion.:eek:

Now there is a link on the page to buy the "Raiders March" on iTunes so that must have allowed the video to be unblocked.

---
Anyway, everyone who hasn't seen it should watch it. It's a remarkable achievement, especially the opening of the Ark.(y)

pastureized

Many of you may know this if you follow the Raiders Guys, but they have just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the completion of the one scene they couldn't do back in the 80's: the airplane fight. It will be done with all the original cast, all practical effects, etc. :) Awesomely, if you back them a certain amount you can officially get the actual movie, as a download or on DVD (depending how much you pledge). Really worth checking out if you want to to support them and see the thing from the source rather than a grainy torrent: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raidersguys/raiders-guys-and-the-lost-airplane-scene

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Email from Chris Strompolos:
Hello Friends, Family, Colleagues & Fellow Indiana Jones Fans,

On Saturday July 9th (2022), if you are in or near Los Angeles or find yourself traveling to LA this upcoming weekend, the Secret Movie Club of LA is hosting a dual screening of the Spielberg-Lucas original RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK + our completed fan film RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: THE ADAPTATION w/ Q&A at LA's classic theater, The Million Dollar Theater.

Event Information & Tickets Here! -------> https://bit.ly/3bP0mrY