Minotaur?

IndyJames98

I am working on a story called "Indiana Jones and the Search for Pandora's Box", At the moment, Indy and his partner Wendy are in the temple. They come across a writing on the wall claiming that the minortaur lies ahead. Do you think having the minotaur would be believable in an Indiana Jones story?

Finn

Staff member
Well, Indy's already been to Labyrinth of Knossos, and he didn't run into any there, well, at least any live ones...

7VtZDaX.gif

That being said, supernatural beasts are not completely out of Indy's realm. The best way to handle it would be to give its origins some kind of extraordinary explanation rather than just have them run to the man-bull of legend for the sake of it just being there.

For example, in Fate of Atlantis, it was heavily implied that the minotaur was actually a product of the Atlantean god machine.

Montana Smith

A magical box full of murderous ghosts.

A famine-bringing wizard possessing the power of life after death.

A desiccating cup and a healing cup.

A knight who wouldn't die for hundreds of years.

A flying saucer and a host of aliens.

I think a minotaur would be the least of our concerns!

InexorableTash

As long as all of the evidence is destroyed or inaccessible afterwards. Indy can't drag the MacGuffin home and his stories can be dismissed as fabrications or at least exaggerations later.

I think a guy in a suit a la Time Bandits would work better, though.

Montana Smith

InexorableTash said:
I think a guy in a suit a la Time Bandits would work better, though.

Would have to make a new suit. The old one was looking a bit worn out when they used it in Gladiator. :p

images

And if a man in a mask, and for another story, he could be relocated to the catacombs under Paris, as in the film...Catacombs.

catacombs1b.jpg

Last edited:

Gear

I'd say why not?

There's all the above-mentioned, plus look at the artistic supernatural liberties the creators of Emperor's Tomb took.

I don't care what y'all say, that game was fun, at the very least.

Spurlock

Umm, I don't wanna be that guy, but I do think it's sorta too much. But here's another idea: minotaur booby traps. Much like how in LC, the god's wrath wasn't literal, but was represented through traps and tests of faith, you could make booby traps representing a minotaur,

*on a side note, I also had the idea to have Pandora's box as the macguffin, so I'd be interested in hear about it's use. For me, I would've written it as an escaped nazi searching for something to bring nazis back to power, such as releasing what' in pandora's box.

IndyJames98

Spurlock said:
*on a side note, I also had the idea to have Pandora's box as the macguffin, so I'd be interested in hear about it's use. For me, I would've written it as an escaped nazi searching for something to bring nazis back to power, such as releasing what' in pandora's box.

Actually, it takes place in 1927 and the nazis want it to bring hitler to power. kind of similar.

Gear

IndyJames98 said:
Actually, it takes place in 1927 and the nazis want it to bring hitler to power. kind of similar.

I kinda like that idea. Considering that the Nazi party burned the Reichstag building in '33 under a false flag operation to garner further power, your story plot suggests to me that they would've wanted Pandora's Box for a similar reason, a behind-the-scenes instrument to cause 'order out of chaos'. It's somewhat different from the other artifacts they sought in the series, in that sense. The Ark would've been a very direct weapon in their dispense, for example, and the grail was more a tool for a different purpose serving a similar ends. That is, to compare this fan work with the films.

But, maybe I'm wrongly reading into your brief description of plot.

IndyJames98

Spurlock said:
Umm, I don't wanna be that guy, but I do think it's sorta too much. But here's another idea: minotaur booby traps. Much like how in LC, the god's wrath wasn't literal, but was represented through traps and tests of faith, you could make booby traps representing a minotaur

I really liked your suggestion, so what happens is that Indy and Wendy have to go through a maze in the temple that contains the box. It is said that a minotaur had come back to life. However, it turns out that the maze was full of Minotaur warriors, who wear masks (made to look like the minotaur head) and were assigned to protect the box. Indy and Wendy have to get through the maze and try to evade but eventually fight the warriors. (who are also cannibals)