Auto-Biography of a Ravener

00Kevin

Indyfan
I had an idea like this for a long time, basically this is a toned down version. We all post a paragraph or two about how we found Indiana Jones, the raven and the memories we shared on this forum. Basically, your biography as a ravener. I encourage you to please read what I have written and don't just browse over it, I know it is long. And please share your experiences and feelings as well

My father introduced me to Indiana Jones in the early 90's, then in the year 2000 I saw Last Crusade on the tube and since then I have loved the series and the spirit that resides. May 13th 2001 was the day I became a ravener, in the youthful insecure period of life I was going through, I found role models on this forum in Ameera, Raffey, Indy 4, Dutch (except for the tequila), Westford and especially Finn. I wanted to be a part of this community, by 2002 I became a very active member (especially on the adventures) and I initiated successful, yet short lived, traditions such as Indy day, raven day, raven awards. Long before people were addicted to MySpace, I was addicted to the Raven. My childish personality and lack of self control in those days often got me in trouble. I was twice banned, once for jokingly calling Gilles a nazi (which I apologized for in the next post) and once when a Finn-led initiative tried to ban me for a brief argument with newbies like intergamer. Both times my fellow raveners came to my aid and got me back on within a few weeks, of which I was very appreciative; the latter also led to Finn's temporary stripping of 'moderator' status. I never liked the fact that the people who I once looked up to, like Ameera for example, didn't turn out to who I thought they would be and it especially hurt that FinnJones, the man who perhaps most encouraged me to become a part of the community, banned me himself in the later years. Likewise I never wanted to make Finn lose his status because of banning me, I wanted no revenge. I've taken most of the past 3 years off, even now I can't promise that my involvement will or will not go beyond this post. But let me just say a few things. I learned a lot about people and life on this forum and I feel that it has contributed to my character. I thank all of you, of whom there are far too many to name, but whose names I will always have in my heart, for making those 2 years of my life special. Whatever happens, know that you all have a friend and I pray that all the people of the world will have the honor of having even one of the many great friendships I have had on the community.

I'm not longer addicted as you all probably noticed, I'll continue to stop in every once in a while, but I'm not going to make any promises. I've moved on. So once again, whether it means a bright new beginning or a happy ending or both, I say to all of you:

Welcome to the Raven, Where Paths Cross

00Kevin

Finn

Staff member
Hey kiddo, I can't help reading between the lines, but if you want to hear it from me, shrug it off from your mind. It's cool.

A role model. Wow. Now, remove those lips from my cheeks and drag your own ones to the counter and have a drink.

On my bill.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Indeed, Kevin. This forum has had its ups and downs, but like every good relationship making up is the best part. Perhaps its because of my love for Indiana Jones that keeps me here, or perhaps is the thrill that I get when I log in and see what someone has to say about one topic or another. I could have left a long time ago, and in many ways I did, but I always have felt called back to the Raven.

My story is similar to yours from being one of the first regular posting members to moderator to member in exile to moderator (again), I've seen my share of people come and go. Sometimes because of hurt feelings or because, like you, they moved on. I for one may never really "move on", perhaps one day I will just fade away, my presence here just a distant memory.

Have a drink on me, Kevin.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Overthrow said:
You do not know me, but I have watched you for years. All of you.

LOL, the best reply. Reminds me of MNINI, except a little more creepy

It seems many of you misunderstood. The point is I AM over it and there are no hard feelings anymore, the anger was short lived, but intense in it's time.

I'm sorry if you found the post to be still 'vengeful' for lack of a better word, but rest assured I have nothing against a single one of you. Not Finn, not gilles, not even indycritic

For any wrong, if any, you guys ever did to me, I forgive
For any wrong, if any, I ever did to you, I apologize

Finn

Staff member
00Kevin said:
For any wrong, if any, you guys ever did to me, I forgive
For any wrong, if any, I ever did to you, I apologize
Hey, if you read carefully again, you can see that prolly none of us took your post as it was holding some grudge. It seemed more like an apology to me, and I interpreted it as one, even though I don't see a reason for one.

You haven't killed anybody or messed around with anyone's girlfriend or prized hog, so if you beg for an acceptance, you shouldn't. Set back and chill out, I do believe that every member who remembers you and still hangs around is ready to accept you back (with the possible exception of certain Polish redhead), especially since you seem to have matured quite a lot. Besides... I hate to see a big man squirm.

roundshort

hey temp, to have a drink with you would be my honor, no $$$ needed i could find you something fun

Ind is fun, real life is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paden

Very well said, ToJ. :) I too am glad to have found my way to this lively little corner of the Internet. It's proven rewarding on many different levels, but particularly with regard to the friendships I've made.

qwerty

I came to this bar in a search for something. I was trying to get into the Indy IV production team. That wasn't a joke. I realy tryed that hard. I sent many, many letters to all of the people that had something to do with Indy movies, but nothing happen. Couple of replies with no future.
One day I just bumped to this place. I do not know why but there was a good feeling in the air. I figured there is something here for me. I had no idea what was gonna happen.
I asked what I had to ask. But this time something different happen. I found people here who would understand me. They didn't help, but they understood.
00Kevin you sad something about being addicted to the Raven. That is funny. I was addicted before I ever found this place. I was addicted to Indiana Jones movies. This place helped me get over that and I finaly understand that it is just a movie, a fantasy, something good but not real.
The only problem is that I displaced that addiction with another one. Well actualy two. Now I am addicted to fedoras and advantures.
Still not a bad switch if you ask me.

Finn

Staff member
qwerty said:
Now I am addicted to fedoras and advantures.
Still not a bad switch if you ask me.
Indeed. Those two are at least more real than your original addiction, if you ask me.

Finn

Staff member
Jay R. Zay said:
i tend to be exactly of the opposite opinion.
So, in your opinion you can touch see and hear Indiana Jones who in my mind still is a fictional character, but a kind of hat is nonexistent to you.

You bugger do it just because you love to disagree, don't you?

Jay R. Zay

Finn said:
So, in your opinion you can touch see and hear Indiana Jones who in my mind still is a fictional character, but a kind of hat is nonexistent to you.

You bugger do it just because you love to disagree, don't you?

not at all. but liking an existing movie much seems more realistic to me than liking a symbol of a movie character and awaiting romantic adventures. as he wanted to join the indyIV production team, it doesn't seem to me that he literally didn't realize that it wasn't a documentary. and while is first "addiction" obviously inspired creativity, i don't see what his new addiction can give him. it might be unprobable for him to get into the indyIV team. but being interested in joining a film crew is a good start. indiana jones isn't the only movie worth working for and, keeping on that track, perhaps one day he might have made his own blockbuster.

this new way one day he might be wearings his own fedora when walking in a tourist group through cairo. this isn't bad at all (i hope to see cairo one day when things are a bit less dangerous (i.e. adventury) down there) but dreaming of such a tour to be an indiana jones adventure doesn't seem much more realistic to me than wanting to join a film crew.

qwerty

My newfound addiction to fedoras has nothing to do with new found addiction to advantures.
I love fedoras, I do not know why. I just do. Some time ago I saw a guy walk in a bus wearing a fedora. I nearly walked up to him and congratulated him.
My advanture drive has nothing to do with fedoras. My advantures are not archeological sites and things of that nature. It is more something like when someone asks me "do you want to go to this place". I immediately say "yes". Couple of hours later I usualy ask "Why?"
That is the addiction that I have. These two things come together only here at Raven bar. In my life they are completly separate.

As for creativity, do not worry about that. You will be hearing more about my creative skills and practical accomplishments. Trust me.

Jay R. Zay

qwerty said:
My newfound addiction to fedoras has nothing to do with new found addiction to advantures.
I love fedoras, I do not know why. I just do. Some time ago I saw a guy walk in a bus wearing a fedora. I nearly walked up to him and congratulated him.
My advanture drive has nothing to do with fedoras. My advantures are not archeological sites and things of that nature. It is more something like when someone asks me "do you want to go to this place". I immediately say "yes". Couple of hours later I usualy ask "Why?"
That is the addiction that I have. These two things come together only here at Raven bar. In my life they are completly separate.

As for creativity, do not worry about that. You will be hearing more about my creative skills and practical accomplishments. Trust me.

okay, we'll wait patiently. :) this was just a personal view anyway.

as a little remark (and please don't take it personally!), would you agree with me to spell adventure with two "e"s instead of two "a"s? ;)

qwerty

Jay R. Zay said:
as a little remark (and please don't take it personally!), would you agree with me to spell adventure with two "e"s instead of two "a"s? ;)

I never noteced that. :D
I probably misspell a tone of words. Still english is not my first language, so I am allowed to make mistakes.

Jay R. Zay

qwerty said:
I never noteced that. :D
I probably misspell a tone of words. Still english is not my first language, so I am allowed to make mistakes.

sure you are. and this reply featured enough "e"s to make up for any lack of them in earlier replies. this was just a well-meant suggestion. :)

Ray Delark

Jay R. Zay said:
not at all. but liking an existing movie much seems more realistic to me than liking a symbol of a movie character and awaiting romantic adventures. as he wanted to join the indyIV production team, it doesn't seem to me that he literally didn't realize that it wasn't a documentary. and while is first "addiction" obviously inspired creativity, i don't see what his new addiction can give him. it might be unprobable for him to get into the indyIV team. but being interested in joining a film crew is a good start. indiana jones isn't the only movie worth working for and, keeping on that track, perhaps one day he might have made his own blockbuster.

this new way one day he might be wearings his own fedora when walking in a tourist group through cairo. this isn't bad at all (i hope to see cairo one day when things are a bit less dangerous (i.e. adventury) down there) but dreaming of such a tour to be an indiana jones adventure doesn't seem much more realistic to me than wanting to join a film crew.

Guys and gals, please support my quest! Getting a job on the Indy IV crew is MY DREAM too! The whole art of Indiana Jones is my life, and I would do anything for any job! I got into it when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out. Over the years, it's had a beautiful snowball effect on my life. I've had countless extraordinary experiences all because of Indiana Jones. It's all been deeply rewarding for me personally. Before the internet, I met several other fans by posting an ad in the Lucasfilm Fanclub magazine, and we became pen pals. The Raven makes it easier to congegate, and I love it and you all!:D