The Haters thread

MaxPhactor23

There are some things that I’ve actually come to love. When I first saw the film, I felt the ants were incredibly overdone. They’ve come to be one of my favorite parts. Even the rubber tree scene, which I initially found absolutely god awful, I’ve come to survive. It’s not as bad as I originally judged, albeit still corny as hell. Originally I liked about the first hour. I’ve come to like about the first hour and forty minutes. I’m still not wild about aliens. I think aliens in Indiana Jones sounds almost like an oxymoron. But Cate Blanchett’s performance made me bear them. When she finds the Crystal Skeletons finally she really steals the show (IMO).

Last edited:

Niteshade007

Yes, Blanchett did a good job with that scene. Overall I liked her performance, although her accent was pitchy in some parts.

The one I felt bad for Karen Allen. I was excited about her return, as she was my favorite Indy girl. But she was just smiling throughout the whole thing. It was kind of funny, because when my friends and I make movies, I do the same thing, so while I could relate to it, it was just distracting.

MaxPhactor23

Niteshade007 said:
Yes, Blanchett did a good job with that scene. Overall I liked her performance, although her accent was pitchy in some parts.

The one I felt bad for Karen Allen. I was excited about her return, as she was my favorite Indy girl. But she was just smiling throughout the whole thing. It was kind of funny, because when my friends and I make movies, I do the same thing, so while I could relate to it, it was just distracting.

Yah man! Marion was this giddy schoolgirl throughout the entire film. She was demoted to an airhead all of a sudden. I couldn?t help but be annoyed. Her presence was completely lacking. She was there to only connect Mutt to Indiana. That?s really it. Otherwise she served no true purpose to the script. She?s essentially just there?and suddenly dippy. It reminded me of transformation Marcus Brody went through from Raiders to Last Crusade.

Sam Falco

Not a hater, but I just saw this thread.

Marcus' "transformation" wasnt as big a deal as most think. He's not even CLOSE to being a moron in the movie, he's just totally out of his element when he's in the field, he just isnt cut out for it, he belongs in his museum or at school.

MaxPhactor23

Sam Falco said:
Not a hater, but I just saw this thread.

Marcus' "transformation" wasnt as big a deal as most think. He's not even CLOSE to being a moron in the movie, he's just totally out of his element when he's in the field, he just isnt cut out for it, he belongs in his museum or at school.

I think you’re pulling for strings here considering the dialogue clearly says that he gets just as lost in his own museum as he does in the field. Marcus suddenly turned into a buffoon, why deny it? It’s common sense.

The Man

MaxPhactor23 said:
I think you?re pulling for strings here considering the dialogue clearly says that he gets just as lost in his own museum as he does in the field. Marcus suddenly turned into a buffoon, why deny it? It?s common sense.

He only became a fool directly after Henry Sr. appeared. Indy had his real father at last, so Marcus became a slightly dotty uncle. I love Elliot in the movie...(y)

MaxPhactor23

The Man said:
He only became a fool directly after Henry Sr. appeared. Indy had his real father at last, so Marcus became a slightly dotty uncle. I love Elliot in the movie...(y)

You know...I've never come to realize that. Still he?s undeniably a very different character from what we saw in Raiders and the beginning college half of Last Crusade.

The Man

MaxPhactor23 said:
You know...I've never come to realize that. Still he?s undeniably a very different character from what we saw in Raiders and the beginning college half of Last Crusade.

Oh, definitely. Somebody on this forum suggested in the past that Marcus must have gotten rat-faced drunk on the train before meeting Sallah...(y)

MaxPhactor23

The Man said:
Oh, definitely. Somebody on this forum suggested in the past that Marcus must have gotten rat-faced drunk on the train before meeting Sallah...(y)

Hah! I love that theory! I still enjoy his character nonetheless. He's really rather funny. I especially like the build up of Indiana Jones and then it cuts to him walking through the streets looking utterly lost and exclaiming "Does anyone understand a word I am saying?"

The Man

MaxPhactor23 said:
Hah! I love that theory! I still enjoy his character nonetheless. He's really rather funny. I especially like the build up of Indiana Jones and then it cuts to him walking through the streets looking utterly lost and exclaiming "Does anyone understand a word I am saying?"

Or his confusion at the cliff-face. That's one aspect of Skull that saddened me. To have all those guys back would probably be ridiculous, but lovely all the same.

MaxPhactor23

The Man said:
Or his confusion at the cliff-face. That's one aspect of Skull that saddened me. To have all those guys back would probably be ridiculous, but lovely all the same.

It's such a shame he passed. I suppose such things happen though, as much as we try to forget it. A few Indy actors are now gone when I come to think of it. It's rather sad, but there comes a time when you have to let go of everyone. Meh! Good job Max, way to get all depressing. Hah! I'm sorry!

The Man

MaxPhactor23 said:
It's such a shame he passed. I suppose such things happen though, as much as we try to forget it. A few Indy actors are now gone when I come to think of it. It's rather sad, but there comes a time when you have to let go of everyone. Meh! Good job Max, way to get all depressing. Hah! I'm sorry!

*offers pat on the back and tissue for the tears*

Leiter91

MaxPhactor23 said:
I think you?re pulling for strings here considering the dialogue clearly says that he gets just as lost in his own museum as he does in the field. Marcus suddenly turned into a buffoon, why deny it? It?s common sense.
Well Marcus as a moron, or marcus as an old wine-o, or marcus as a chronic paint sniffer, still beats the h*ll out of Ox...I mean he was bat*hit crazy throughout the majority of the movie and once he finally came around i wished he'd just gone back to being insane. Anyway, there was no reason not to have Sallah or short round back...a character people remembered might have made the movie seem warmer or less foreign to us fans. I would've hoped Indy got both of them into the US...been kind of cold if he didn't

Indyisreal

The reality is that many people would be considered "haters" outside of this site. The majority were upset with the KOTCS

FILMKRUSC

Agent Spalko said:
Censorship is a crime.

I agree.

If they took it off then it's as embarassing as the movie.

I've had zero family members/relatives who saw the movie who liked it.
I asked them to check with friends to see what they thought of it.
Not one good review yet.

The Man

The 'Reviews In Media' thread has been un-stickied, relegated. These are important historical documents:)rolleyes: ) with which we can study the initial reactions to the movie and compare those the more rational, unsentimental 'final words' on Skull a year from now.

Time will be the saviour/killer of Indy 4...

Last edited:

monkey

Dindn't hate it, didn't like it

I neither hated nor liked Crystal Skull. I judge it that simply.

Where would I rate it in the Indy movies? .........maybe 3 of 4. (I won't tell you which is number 4).

This film had so much damned baggage coming in that it was impossible from the start to be a great film.

Spielberg and Lucas did a ........'good' job. Really Steven and George, you did the absolute best you could with this 800 pound gorilla.........., but it was still only just.........'good'..........sorry.

Karen Allen and Harrison Ford did a fantastic job of carrying the very heavy baggage.......but it was still too heavy.

And what do two middle aged folks do when they need to lift heavy baggage?
........simple, they ask a young person. .....So whence comes Mutt.

Great job Shia Labeouf..........(by the way, change your name to something we can spell....ok?)

Anyway, the actor that played 'Mutt' did a fantastic job. Just like the young person who helps you move your heavy bags, he did a great job in lightening the load in this film.

I ......'liked' it........ It was Indiana Jones on the Big Screen again. I'll buy the DVD, and watch it about 20 times. ..........but I didn't 'love' it.

It had aliens in it.

It didn't just stay with allusions to Roswell, which it should have......no...it had ALIENS in it. It had FLYING SAUCERS taking off ..........

Too much for this Indy purist.

phatr32

ye its been a few weeks since ive seen, but im still not too happy about the stupid aliens.

really dont know if ill watch it again.....

steve

DarthMickey

well you will watch again because yesterday I actually saw a pre-order for the DVD.Then you will be able to Fast forward to the new extended Alien scene over and over with even more complete dismay! :dead:

Leiter91

FILMKRUSC said:
I agree.

If they took it off then it's as embarassing as the movie.

I've had zero family members/relatives who saw the movie who liked it.
I asked them to check with friends to see what they thought of it.
Not one good review yet.
ditto...glad I didn't take a date...I would have been so embarassed. None of my friends liked it(they were previous Indy fans), none of my family, teachers, doctors or anyone I talked to. Everyone thought it was muck...and really when I hear 'positive' reviews, it basically boils down to "It's good to have Indy back". Thats all that movie has going for it. It's a movie for children, note Indy shoots no one, and theres no standard Indy swearing(damn doesn't count). I actually felt really guilty...I told everyone I knew they should go see it, cause it was going to be awsome, there wasn't going to be any CGI, the plot was excellent, blah blah blah...and afterwards everyone was like WOW, thanks for getting me to waste my money! What an awfull movie