Cleopatra's beauty

Cleopatra's beauty

• She was a beauty for sure!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I imagine she was beautiful, but I am not 100% sure!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • She was a normal person...her incredible beauty is only a legend!

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Ouroboros

I don't know. Plutarch basically makes it sound like Cleopatra drove Antony insane with fascination. It might not have been physical beauty, but there was definitely something captivating about her. I'm going with "I imagine she was..."

Finn

Staff member
Also, what appealed the eye 2,000 years ago and what appeals now, there is the question...

Finn said:
Also, what appealed the eye 2,000 years ago and what appeals now, there is the question...

I think our taste in looks would be similar; we still find symmetry and proportion to be fundamental.

Finn

Staff member
You can spot some minor changes in beauty favors by watching movies 50 years old and ones made now. (Of course at least us living now find both equally appealing.)

In some of the islands in the Pacific, a little puff is a mark of beauty.

The indians living in the Amazonas don't find female breasts as arousing as us habitants of the western culture.

There're lot of cultural aspects in play. Also we'll have to bear in mind that the ancient Greeks appraised both male and female beauty and there was practically no distingushion between them.

So Cleo's face could have had some "manly" features even, (something we don't certainly appraise) and she could still have been a true beaut in their mind.

The Adventurer

Maybe there was a combination of factors. In the first place she was a powerfull woman, used great egyptian make up, exotic parfum maybe and all these combined with a great intellect and culture result a very interesting and beautyful woman.