TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
curmudgeon
IndyFan
 
curmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 299
How should it end?

Surprisingly haven't found a thread for this yet.

In the hypothetical situation that they make another Ford movie (or two, if you're that kind of dreamer) and they were to allow for his last film to be a proper send-off for the series...

What would you want the last scene of the final movie* to be?

(*Final movie in the Ford/Spielberg series, before the inevitable and inevitably limp reboot.)
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Toht's Arm
IndyFan
 
Toht's Arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 191
I'm still partial to my suggestion here, destroying the macguffin:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=21987
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Should end with the hat being passed on (not necessarily literally) to a successor, son or otherwise to allow continuation.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Kill 'em All.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,027
The final scene of the last movie with Harrison should be Indy wearing an eyepatch, getting into a green, 1952 Plymouth and driving alone towards New York City at dawn. A majestic, aerial shot of the Manhattan skyline (filmed from a helicopter) with his car travelling towards it and the sun rising in the distance.

Perfect segue…(in my opinion, anyway).

Last edited by Stoo : 04-15-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Spurlock
IndyFan
 
Spurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 174
The same exact way Last Crusade ended. That was the perfect ending to a series. Riding off into the sunset.

But if that can't happen, at least pass the torch, and show him go out in a bang.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
IndyForever
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 355
At the end of Indy 6 after an epic Indy 5 cliffhanger I would like just Indiana on his own looking across an epic landscape with the sun setting as he put his Fedora on and the camera panned 360 degrees around him then slowly pulled back as the main theme played would be the best possible ending.

Disney executives know an Indy 5 & 6 would be huge business to them with Harrison attached as long as Steve & George are involved in their usual roles its going to be a massive money maker & crowd pleaser
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
HenryJunior
IndyFan
 
HenryJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CRATE#9906753
Posts: 375
Favorably, if we can get Indy 5 and 6 it will flesh out a second trilogy which can have it's own "ending". I do NOT want 5 and 6 to just be 2 parts of the same movie, so tired of that in film series lately. Each chapter should be independent. It would be really cool if we saw Indy lose his eye!
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 638
Either Indy dies or he passes the hat on. That's how I would end it.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Either Indy sacrifices himself to save his new family, or the final film just simply deals with him going on an adventure with death (either from old age or some other cause) rapidly approaching, and he hopes to prevent it, but in the end must accept his mortality and allows himself to die.

Bonus points if his epiphany comes with the realization that, even though he will be dead, he will forever be a part of history and, thus, his legacy makes him immortal. A fitting reward for a man who dedicated his life to preserving the past.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
I think what I really want is a two-parter, with the first actual theatrical cliffhanger ending in this cliffhanger-derived series, in which the first movie of the two (Indy V) ends with Indy in a really bad way (specifically, having just lost his eye) and the villain having a seemingly insurmountable upper hand, and the resolution coming in the sixth movie the following year, with some perfect ending. I don't want him dying, or doing anything else that contradicts the show, but I also don't need to see him pass the torch to anyone. I'd like an ending that suggests a little more adventure still, even if we don't get to see it.

After that, we can have the inevitable reboot, but I'm not ready for it just yet.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
HovitosKing
IndyFan
 
HovitosKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,513
I'd rather see the franchise undergo a major reboot or delve back into television than see them try to force something awkward (again) with Harrison Ford. With a bit of inspiration and a dash of creativity, maybe we could get something that reminds us how we felt when we saw the original trilogy or the Young Indy adventures for the first time.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HovitosKing
I'd rather see the franchise undergo a major reboot or delve back into television than see them try to force something awkward (again) with Harrison Ford. With a bit of inspiration and a dash of creativity, maybe we could get something that reminds us how we felt when we saw the original trilogy or the Young Indy adventures for the first time.

For the 100,000,000,000,000th time: a 2D-animated Indiana Jones TV show would be nice.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
Olliana
IndyFan
 
Olliana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 251
Nah, I'd rather have 3-D animation, but unlike TCW and Rebels, with a more mature and down-to-earth look and feel.
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
For the 100,000,000,000,000th time: a 2D-animated Indiana Jones TV show would be nice.

What, you mean a hand-drawn one? You act like you're the first person to think of that. Wanna know why you're the only one saying it? Because it belongs in the same realm as wishing for a life sized T-Rex made out of solid chocolate to materialize in your backyard.

Disney's not going to pay for a traditionally animated 2D cartoon. They can't even be bothered to put out a 2D feature once a decade. The Princess and the Frog was supposed to presage a mini-revivial, but ultimately they gutted their hand-drawn divsion last year.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
For the 100,000,000,000,000th time: a 2D-animated Indiana Jones TV show would be nice.

I have to admit that I'd really have no interest in an Indy cartoon.

I see two big problems with it:

1. The situations would end up being too over-the-top and stupid because there are no limitations with animation, and because cartoons tend to be exaggerations of what can be done in real life. I can easily picture cringe-worthy scenes like Indy surfing on a shark, or having a fist fight on the wing of an airplane (while occasionally flapping his arms and yelling, "Whoooaaa! Whooaaa!" as he's about to lose his balance.)

2. It would get really, really repetitive. The Indy formula is very basic: Indy must keep powerful artifact out of the hands of villains. They managed to stretch this across four films, and it's already getting a bit long in the tooth. Now imagine seeing it replayed over multiple episodes of a tv show every week. That would get old fast. But if they vary the formula, then it risks not really being Indy (remember how un-Indy-like the Young Indy was?)

Aside from that, I guess I just remember too well how bad some previous movie-to-cartoon attempts have been. Remember The Karate Kid cartoon? The Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures cartoon? And if you completely forgot that those cartoon ever existed, well, that just further proves my point that an Indy cartoon probably isn't something to get too excited about.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
What, you mean a hand-drawn one? You act like you're the first person to think of that. Wanna know why you're the only one saying it? Because it belongs in the same realm as wishing for a life sized T-Rex made out of solid chocolate to materialize in your backyard.

Disney's not going to pay for a traditionally animated 2D cartoon. They can't even be bothered to put out a 2D feature once a decade. The Princess and the Frog was supposed to presage a mini-revivial, but ultimately they gutted their hand-drawn divsion last year.

Calm down, fella. My comment was supposed to be speaking for not just me but ALL the people who have advocated for an animated TV show before. I didn't start that train of thought, and I'm by no means the only one saying it. Last I looked, the idea was fairly popular on here before. Now you claim it's a delusional fantasy on my end? Whatever...

And I don't care if Disney won't pay for another 2-D cartoon. Hence the "would be nice" tag, as that's me acknowledging it would be too good to be true. I am very angry at Disney for turning coward and abandoning 2-D YET AGAIN...just because they think little boys are punks who hate princesses.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
Walecs
IndyFan
 
Walecs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
For the 100,000,000,000,000th time: a 2D-animated Indiana Jones TV show would be nice.

I don't care what other people say, I want this to happen.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
How should it end?

Crushed by a descending door?

(Spikes optional).
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
EddyW
IndyFan
 
EddyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 190
Problem one shows me you have a shallow perception of what animation could be. Problem two on the other hand is a valid one, but not something that's impossible to solve. The examples you give are old and cheesy. Clone Wars for instance is a great example of how you port a movie franchise to an animated series. It might not be for everyone still, but I think the majority of the movie fans agree and the kids love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
I have to admit that I'd really have no interest in an Indy cartoon.

I see two big problems with it:

1. The situations would end up being too over-the-top and stupid because there are no limitations with animation, and because cartoons tend to be exaggerations of what can be done in real life. I can easily picture cringe-worthy scenes like Indy surfing on a shark, or having a fist fight on the wing of an airplane (while occasionally flapping his arms and yelling, "Whoooaaa! Whooaaa!" as he's about to lose his balance.)

2. It would get really, really repetitive. The Indy formula is very basic: Indy must keep powerful artifact out of the hands of villains. They managed to stretch this across four films, and it's already getting a bit long in the tooth. Now imagine seeing it replayed over multiple episodes of a tv show every week. That would get old fast. But if they vary the formula, then it risks not really being Indy (remember how un-Indy-like the Young Indy was?)

Aside from that, I guess I just remember too well how bad some previous movie-to-cartoon attempts have been. Remember The Karate Kid cartoon? The Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures cartoon? And if you completely forgot that those cartoon ever existed, well, that just further proves my point that an Indy cartoon probably isn't something to get too excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
What, you mean a hand-drawn one? You act like you're the first person to think of that. Wanna know why you're the only one saying it? Because it belongs in the same realm as wishing for a life sized T-Rex made out of solid chocolate to materialize in your backyard.

Disney's not going to pay for a traditionally animated 2D cartoon. They can't even be bothered to put out a 2D feature once a decade. The Princess and the Frog was supposed to presage a mini-revivial, but ultimately they gutted their hand-drawn divsion last year.

Disney just announced a 2D series based on the Lion King. Judging from the stills they released, production value wise, it's looking pretty good.
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyW

Disney just announced a 2D series based on the Lion King. Judging from the stills they released, production value wise, it's looking pretty good.

I read about that, and was genuinely surprised at its existence. And in hindsight...its also mind-blowing (and possibly a sign that there is a caring God up there) that it will be in 2-D. I would not have been surprised at all if they tried doing it as a CG show, which would have made me absolutely nauseous.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #23
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
What would you want the last scene of the final movie* to be?
Poor you, curmudgeon. Here you are asking a simple question about ideas for a last scene but people can't help themselves from talking about an animated series (when there are so many threads about that topic already).

To TheFedora & kongisking: Indy lives into his 90s* so he can't die in the 5th (or 6th) movie unless you want it to take place in 1994 or later.

*His old, wrinkled hands can still be seen on the DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Crushed by a descending door?

(Spikes optional).
How about Indy getting trapped alone inside a tomb? A big, white question mark could be superimposed over the final shot like some 1950s movies. It would be the ultimate cliffhanger.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith

Should of ended this way...

instead it ended this way:

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 991
Thumbs down

I don't mind the cliched "walking into the sunset" ending, but it's about execution, and LC's ending didn't do that all that well. Having Marcus, Sallah and Henry Jones Sr. go off with Indy kinda cheapened the impact such and ending was supposed to have(and as one mentioned elsewhere, Marcus nearly falling off his horse makes it worse). I can accept the expected "Well it was still better than we got in KOTCS" response, but we shouldn't really romanticize the LC ending, IMO.

As for how Indy 5 should end, I figure it should be like how Raiders started, which is a silhouette of Indy walking into some mountain somewhere. Or at least, maybe have everyone think Indy is dead, see character place a "burial" for him placing his hat there, than see a shadow of a man picking up the hat, walking away leaving it ambiguous whether he's still alive or not.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.