Book reviews on here say the same thing over and over

bowlesk

Every book review from someone who didn't like an Indy book says "It didn't feel like an Indy story" What does an Indy story exactly feel like? A movie? lol. Indy is a character that can feel like any story. The writer can make him what ever he wants as long as he keeps the icon attributes. I like seeing Indy in different roles. :whip:

I guess I just don't get what that comment means other than the readers want a movie in a book which I think is a little sad.

indyclone25

i have liked all the indiana jones books except the caidins ones , just to long and drawn out on decsriptive (spelling) elements. not every book needs to foolow the same plotline as the movies , as you say it is indy in different settings .

HovitosKing

bowlesk said:
I guess I just don't get what that comment means other than the readers want a movie in a book which I think is a little sad.

Your interpretation of what we mean by "doesn't feel like an Indy story" is incorrect, if that's what you think.

I respectfully disagree.
It seems to me that Indy has a very distinctive character, which some authors get, some don't. I completely agree that Indy can be a man of many talents, in many situations, but reactions to those situations, the way in which he uses those talents, frame him as a character.

In fact surely Indy's very distinctiveness as a character is why any of us are here? Hes clumsy, intelligent, always in over his head, resourceful and dry witted, and not as good with the ladies as he thinks he is, he has a strong moral centre and of course is rather good with his fists. Hes also pretty much a bit of a loner despite his many companions.

Now put this character into any story and it becomes an Indy story. If his character remains consistent. For example, Indy in Caidin's books is not Indy, White Witch has a rather Indyesque tale, a search after a plea for help, however the character with the name Indiana Jones is some sort of super genius, always planning, always one step ahead of the enemy. So the seemingly Indy story suddenly isn't very Indyesque. However take say, the scandel of 1920, a very un indy story on the face of it - Indy is working behind the scenes on a broadway show, however as Indy remains consistantly Indy, always in over his head, somewhat foolish and clumsy, but quite brilliant, it becomes an Indy story.

At least thats my opinion. So I agree in theory, a story with Indy in it becomes fairly Indiana Jones like, however I disagree that all reviews that say its not very indy like are incorrect. Some aren't. But mainly because the character of Indy is simply not present.

emtiem

Indy for me is a name which promises high quality, well-thought out entertainment, with big high concept and old-fashioned fist-swinging action, together with an epic feel, high pace and lots of wit and fun along the way. He isn't a fully rounded character who's involved in emotional drama or whatever: that's not what he's designed for. The books can perhaps aim to add a little to Indy's adventures, but they must give a reader everything he likes about Indy, otherwise there's no point in using the logo which promises so much on the cover.